Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

camper trailer v pop-top
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
away

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Camper Trailer

I have a Kimberley Kamper "Classic" model. It is one year old and has done 18,000Km since new. I use it for work and it gets dragged along easements of gas pipelines where the tracks get little or no maintenance.

The good points:
    Doesn't let dust in
    Goes anywhere!
    Tows beautifully
    Can carry a boat on it too
    Idependant suspension.
    Can get to the stove and kitchen even when the camper is packed away
    Full queensize inner-spring mattress
    Solid floor
    Can carry a fair bit of gear on the roof, even with the boat on it

The bad Points:
    It takes a while to set up all of the extra canvas
    It takes even longer to pull down all that extra canvas
    Would like to carry more water - only has 120L
    Switches for lights etc are under the bed - I'm gonna move them!

I have two 123W solar panels and a Plasmatronic Solar regulator and 305 A/H of batteries (AGM) I have a 1200W inverter to run things like the washing machine and power tools. I have a reverse osmosis plant to treat stream/dam/mill water for drinking quality and a 100psi pump to push it thru. I don't carry a generator and so far haven't needed one. All of this stuff (except the washing machine) fits on/in the camper when in transit.

I like it and I really go where it's tough, so I need it. A pop-up wouldn't work for me.
 D4: Expedition Rack, 104 Litre Long Range Tank, Raised Air Intake
D3: Every bloomin' thing but the kitchen sink 

Post #10277418th Nov 2006 4:30 am
jeff66

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

One issue with a camper trailer verse a pop top is that on a camper trailer with the roof down you are only allow too run a three way fridge on 12 volts. Not 240v A/C or gas. Something to due with the heat build up / ventilation when the roof is down. This doesn’t apply to a pop top ¾ height or full size van.

Also these fridges are rated at 135 watts when running on 12 volts. So this would equate to about 10 amps. So you battery will not run long.
When running on 12 volts the 3 way fridges are not very efficient. I was informed that the fridge will only maintain temperature when running on 12 volts.
3 way fridges also do not preform in 40 to 50 deg C.

So in the end I upgraded the fridge to a waeco compressor type of fridge (cost an extra $215). The unit will run on 12v and 240 volts. This type of fridge will also work in high ambient temperatures.
 ATACAMA SAND SE ,V6 PETROL, AUTO ,WINDOW TINT ,SIDE STEPS, SPORTS ROOF RACKS, ARB BULLBAR, KAYMAR REAR BUMPER TWIN TYRE, HID SPOTLIGHTS, TX3540 RADIO, ICOM 400PRO, GPS, DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM, MITCHELL BROS TOW HITCH.  
Post #22369613th Nov 2007 7:29 am
Martin Krutli

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Camper Trailer V Pop Top

Horses for courses really as most have been saying. I have a Camp-o-matic M3 off-road camper trailer (similar to the Kimberly). It's a hard top flip/over type which means you can set up camp basically (without awnings, et al) in approximately one minute, That is great when you're touring - the only way to go. These sort of high clearance, independent suspension campers will go pretty much anywhere a 4wd will (with perhaps exception of very deep sand) and are almost completely dust proof. If the canvas is wet, it's not much of a problem to pack away, so long as you cover the bed with a waterproof sheet. We've had to pack up after pouring all night and not had a drop of moisture inside after re-erecting the next night.
Down side is that there is not a lot of room in them compared to a caravan (pop top or other wise and if you are staying in one place for some time and want to set up all the annexes - takes quite a bit of time (ditto to pack up).
Perfect for 2 people, don't think it would work for a family with kids.
Cheers,
Martin
 MY08 TDV6 SE. White/Alpaca. BFG265/65/18 At's
Autologic, Trackside Dual Battery syst., Remote GME UHF, 4X4 Intelligence rear wheel carrier, Boab removable rear drawer system w National Luna fridge, Mitchell Bros hitch.
Rasta Plate. 110L LRA long-range fuel tank. 

Post #22403614th Nov 2007 1:03 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >