DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

camper trailer v pop-top
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
TDMP

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

discomaniac wrote:
... I also tow a 1.5t Coromal Camper through this sand. .... Discomaniac

Discomaniac - how did you find the Coromal Camper - it looks like you've done a few miles in it!

Any issues?

I'd appreciate some general comments, if you dont mind!

thanks
 Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
(Epicurus BC 341-270) 

Post #9407315th Oct 2006 5:56 am
discomaniac

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

TDMP wrote:

Discomaniac - how did you find the Coromal Camper - it looks like you've done a few miles in it!

Any issues?

I'd appreciate some general comments, if you dont mind!

thanks

Hi,
We have been very happy with the Coromal PS392. We looked at Goldstream and Jayco and felt the Coromal was beter finished and strong enough to handle where we travel. The push out kitchen is a great feature, greatly extends the interior living area.
We towed it for 800km along the Gibb River Road in the Kimberley, WA. Very little dust got in during this trip. Only dust came in through the Fridge Vent. This had to be left open because we were using the fridge while we traveled. Not enough dust came in to cause any problems though. The independant suspension seemed to cope easily with hundreds of KM's of corrugations.
We have also towed it many times on the beach north of Noosa, QLD to camp on Teewah Beach near Double Island Point.
We have had it for just over a year now, very happy. Many trips off the tarmac. Like anything, just take it easy.
Check out some photos in my gallery.
 Discomaniac

D4 SDV6 HSE MY11 Fuji White 

Post #9409115th Oct 2006 11:37 am
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

ontheridge
those bed flies are pretty impressive
are they attached with velcro or sewed on
regards

Post #9704527th Oct 2006 10:57 am
TDMP

lrdef110 wrote:
... Towed my van with the Disco for the first time. Its much smaller and lighter than yours (Jurgens Xpedition)

Barry, I'd love to hear comments (and see pics) of the Jurgens. From SA I believe? Have you done much "off road" with it (sounds like you have)? I was told they were pretty tough?

Regards,

Tristan
(Epicurus BC 341-270) 

Post #9755630th Oct 2006 10:18 am
lrdef110

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Tristan we have had it since November 2004. I took 4 months off last year and we towed it about 16,000 kms behind a Defender Xtreme through the eastern states including Barry Way from the Snowys down through Vic and accross to the Blinman Landrover Jamboree in the Flinders Ranges. They are not everyones cup of tea and it gets a bit cold cooking outside down south in winter but they rae great for our climate in Central Qld. It tows well off road and we definitely took it places only camper trailers would go. I have made a few changes that make it more livable. Cpoed a bit of dust along the Darling but otherwise it is very strong. Will try and put a few phots in my gallery later.
Regards, Barry

Post #9756030th Oct 2006 10:33 am
lrdef110

Tristan, I've uploaded a couple of photos to my gallery.
Barry.

Post #9756430th Oct 2006 11:35 am
catweasel

lrdef110, what did you think of the jamboree and do you think you will return nextyear or was it a one off.

Post #9759030th Oct 2006 12:52 pm
lrdef110

Cat we left up here at the beginning of March and unbeknown to my wife, we just happened to be at Blinman on the long weekend in May, so how could we not attend the jamboree. She finally worked out it was too much of a coincidence. But we both really enjoyed it. Just missed out on the prize for who had travelled the furtherest as a bloke came all the way over from Perth. I am a bit of a Series fan (have a Series 1 in the shed but in parts at the moment, a Series 3 hardtop in the back yard and a Defender Ute) so it was like heaven to me. We met your mate with all the Series vehicles from Willmington (actually called in to see him after the jamboree but he wasn't around) and a lot of other really great people. We camped beside the LROCV mob so had some good chats to them. We booked in for one of the tag a longs which was organised especially for the jamboree through a station nearby which was excellent and also received vouchers for Sky Trek and others which we used after the jamboree. Nearly went to the northern Flinders with a group after the weekend but decided to spend a few days in the Pound and walk up to St Mary's peak. We loved the Flinders Ranges and would like to go back for an extended stay like 4 - 6 weeks instead of 2 weeks. Not sure if I will return for a Blinman jamboree though. They have changed the weekend and besides its a long way to go from up here. Now if it was closer....
Regards, Barry

Post #9771331st Oct 2006 3:54 am
catweasel

we deliberately kept the Flinders away from you guys in the eastern states. unfortunately the guy from Wilmington is not my mate but someone who I met through another person and have been to his toy museum and his is a true Land Rover nut. nice bloke though.

Post #9772231st Oct 2006 8:59 am
TDMP

Thanks for the pics barry...

do you take kids with you (not for 4 months I'm guessing)?

Tristan
(Epicurus BC 341-270) 

Post #9776631st Oct 2006 11:13 am
lrdef110

No Tristan, my kids have flown the coup. I really don't how how the Xpedition would be with other than small children up front. It worked well for the two of us and we sort of really got used to it on our long trip, much better than I thought it would work out.
Barry.

Post #9776731st Oct 2006 11:24 am
ontheridge

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Norto, sorry for the late reply, haven't sat at this PC for ages.

The bed-end flys are sewn into a bag and the bag is attached just like a normal annexe using the aluminium strip, the are fixed in position so they can't go anywhere, very easy to use.

regards
 D4 TDV6 MY13' - 2 weeks away!
RRS S/C MY10' - muchly loved and just gone
D3 TDV6 SE MY06' - loved and gone 

Post #985433rd Nov 2006 10:57 am
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Thanks OTR
Do they get hot or can the be folded up

Post #987524th Nov 2006 12:31 am
ontheridge

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

We have not used the van in summer yet, purchased in May 06'. I guess you mean the sides, yes they can be folded up, but they are made from a type of shade cloth, so it lets plenty of air through & provides privacy if you have the windows open at the bed ends. Plus they keep the bed ends dry when it rains, unless it is that horizontal rain.

regards
 D4 TDV6 MY13' - 2 weeks away!
RRS S/C MY10' - muchly loved and just gone
D3 TDV6 SE MY06' - loved and gone 

Post #989275th Nov 2006 11:49 am
Hammer

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I bought a Goldstream Wing III offroad camper in August. Went to the factory and bought direct (they advertise in trading post and "found a spot" in their production line for a direct order (nudge nudge, wink wink). Saved about $5-6K. Got a Wing III because the missus wanted an oven, and it only fitted in the longer model (14 foot 6 rather than 13 foot 4 for the Wing I). The Wing series is the only one that has two seating areas. We have three kids and meals areas only seat 4 in all other campers. The layout is the same as the Jayco Swan (including swing up wardrobe). The factory suggested getting two tables, so the U-shaped louge area has a table, which goes down as a double bed. Great flexibility as we have somewhere to sit when the 3rd kid goes to bed on the other (meals) table, plus we can sleep another 2 people if family or friends want to come away. Fit out and finish is top shelf, adn the guys that own the company are great to deal with. To roadtest the van and Disco 3, we headed to the Flinders and Arkaroola. This is where the bad news begins. Cruising along to Arkaroola, and the road has numerous washouts. Hit a couple too fast, and the van bottomed out (though not too badly) as the car exited and the van went in. The middle of the van flexed, and when we opened the door, a slight lift had occurred in the vinyl floor. On the way out of Arkaroola, same thing happened (didn't see the washout) and hit it really hard (about 70kms per hr instead of 30). Opened van at Hawker for lunch and floor much worse. Rang factory and they had not seen this before and so going down there tomorrow. Not sure whether it is a production fault (noticed at the start that the floor was not level across the area of the crack), but the flexing made the join push together such that it has splayed top and bottom (I can see it under the van). About the most difficult thing to fix in the whole van (almost have to strip it is my guess). I'll find out what the answer is tomorrow. However, I suspect that the chassis is a bit under-engineered for the length. Only the Goldstream Storm is of the same length - interesting to see whether they weld another 6x4inch section under the frame across the axle on each side. Lesson: go slow but also don't assume you can go anywhere with camper vans. I had planned to take this to Dalhousie and on the Gulf road (Roper Bar, Borroloola etc) but a bit spooked now. Kids were feral so that is another reason we are re-assessing.

Post #10255417th Nov 2006 12:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >