Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Perth Owners Question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
StornowaySA

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Perth Owners Question

All, I am looking at fitting a number of modifications to my new Disco over the next feew months and would welcome comments from Perth owners as to where to have such work completed (by professionals) as I dont intend doing it myself. The items are:

Long range fuel tank (probably at ARB as they sell the Long ranger 115l capacity tank)
    Under bonnet air compressor (still cant decide which one..)
    Second (deep cycle) battery (preferably in the space under the bonnet) and additional 12V outlets in rear
    CB radio

Barbagallo have heavily promoted ARB to me.

cheers

Chris
 MY2010 D4 HSE 3.0, e-diff, 19inch MTR's; LLAMS Height adjustor, LR f & r light guards, LR side steps, LR bright finish side door mouldings; LR/Mantec G4 front bash plate, LR G4 Winch kit, Warn 9500lb Winch; GOE compressor guard, Uniden UHF, LR bright finish roof rails, LR G4 driving light kit, LR G4 ladder, 4 x extra rear compartment 12V sockets, Traxide dual battery system and Optima Yellowtop battery, ORS drawer system / fridge slide, LED rear compartment lighting.  
Post #2114044th Oct 2007 2:43 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Try sticking the air compressor behind the panel in the back if you don't have rear A/C.
Idea Or has anyone tried to take air off the drain plug for the main tank, it has a working pressure of 1750 kPa (17.5 bar) (253.75 lbf/in²) and Maximum operating pressure 2300 kPa (23 bar) (333.5 lbf/in²) Shocked

You can fit a second 70Ah battery in the drivers side space under the cover. A third 70 Ah battery could be added on the passenger side front where the FBH normally goes. A small battery box would fit but you would need to make a bracket. You will need to run heavey duty cables to the outlets in the back along chassis and re-enter behind reat light.
Do a search under CBs as some have mounted a head unit up front and the main in the rear.
Long Range tank: Someone will be alongshortly I am sure. Whistle
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #2114114th Oct 2007 7:19 am
StornowaySA

CaverD3, good tips, thanks! esp re air compressor location; I dont have rear air cond and no doubt its alot cooler back there (out of the engine compartment!!). Everything else sounds great; I'm learning lots!!! Very Happy
 MY2010 D4 HSE 3.0, e-diff, 19inch MTR's; LLAMS Height adjustor, LR f & r light guards, LR side steps, LR bright finish side door mouldings; LR/Mantec G4 front bash plate, LR G4 Winch kit, Warn 9500lb Winch; GOE compressor guard, Uniden UHF, LR bright finish roof rails, LR G4 driving light kit, LR G4 ladder, 4 x extra rear compartment 12V sockets, Traxide dual battery system and Optima Yellowtop battery, ORS drawer system / fridge slide, LED rear compartment lighting.  
Post #2114184th Oct 2007 7:43 am
WayneD

Location: Sydney Darwin ,Singapore, USA, UK and now country NSW

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

BlackPerth! I am having a dual battery fitted next week so will give you some feed-back. Having it done by Coopers in StPeters NSW.
Have a 56amp battery pak that I used in a recent trip over the Gibb River. Lasted 2 days using 35ltr Waeco fridge and takes 60 hours on mains to re-charge. Hence the dual battery. Also got a set of draws for the rear, but the spare tyre is an issue as you need to raise the rear seats (7 seater) to get access to the tyre. Spare wheer carrier on the radar. Will this ever stop!
 Take the road less traveled. Dual battery system.ORS drawers,LR cargo Barrier.ARB Bull bar,side protection bars,Mickey Thompson ATR's 17" rims, Rear wheel carrier, radiator guard TPMS Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch LR RAI Steel Rims , GME UHF, Off Road GPS, Llams (yet to be fitted)  
Post #2114204th Oct 2007 8:00 am
disco4x4au

Australia 

Obviously, you'll need to relocate the spare wheel if you're fitting the long-range tank (I think there's two currently available in Oz - 115l and 110l models, the latter from a W.A. manufacturer). ARB will supply the Kaymar rear bar + carrier, otherwise cheaper alternatives are the 4x4 Intelligence carrier (RichardK has this one) or the Opposite Lock carrier (which I have - see pic in my gallery). Both of these retain the standard rear bumper.

Cheers,

Gordon
 ex - 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, with lots of stuff - R.I.P.
ex - 2009 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, had lots of stuff too!
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #2114214th Oct 2007 8:01 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
StornowaySA

disco4x4au, yep, know about the spare wheel once LR tank is in; not sure if I'm being naiive but I thought I'd just put it on the roof (car came with LR Expedition Rack) when we head off the bitumen for long trips; and in the back if we do a day trip. I'm 39, drive around 15,000km's per year around Perth and have never, ever had a puncture. Does anyone else do this? Embarassed

I like teh idea of retaining existing rear bumper so yoru rear bar sounds good too!
Post #2114234th Oct 2007 8:13 am
away

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I'm not trying to be a smartarse here, but if you only drive around 15,000Km/year, then why would you go to the trouble and expense of fitting a long range tank?

If you are serious about the tank, think twice about putting the spare on the roof: Firstly you have to lift it up and down from there. Secondly, the roof load rating is only 54Kg for the D3 and that includes the weight of the expedition rack! By the way, I wore out the last four sets of tyres (BFG A/T's) and thought I'd run with one spare, until I did two tyres in on the Tanami road and had to limp in to Alice Springs on a repaired tyre with three plugs in it. Now I carry a second spare (casing only).

I lent my D3 to Central 4WD Accessories in Welshpool so that they could prototype a tank for D3's. They made one up and fitted it for me and I'm really happy with it. I think it holds around 106 Litres but I've never the car out of juice to confirm that. I have put 182 litres in, which means the LR tank is at least 100 Litres, and that got me from Halls Creek to Alice Springs plus 120Km of side-trips and the car was telling me I had enough fuel left for another 91Km. (I was towing the Camper Trailer too.) If you're interested in one, give them a call and ask for Dave.

I went for the Kaymar rear bar option. It's a good, solid bar that shows no signs of falling to bits even after the roads we've been on.

I mounted my second battery on the RHS under the bonnet and ran 13 sq mm cables to the rear to keep the volt drop to a minimum.

I mounted a remote head style CB radio under the front passenger seat and the head unit fits neatly into the recess in the console where the indent is for (I assume) pens and pencils. It stuck it down with double-sided tape and it hasn't moved yet. The speaker is loud and clear enough to hear even though it's under the seat.

Cheers,

Russ
 D4: Expedition Rack, 104 Litre Long Range Tank, Raised Air Intake
D3: Every bloomin' thing but the kitchen sink 

Post #2114304th Oct 2007 8:56 am
StornowaySA

Russ, I didnt explain the 15K bit very well - thats just work here in Perth; I didnt include HOLIDAYS (of which fortunatley there seem to more of as you get older. One of the reasons for getting a Disco and fitting it out is my siblings are all into serious 4wd'g (brothers Jeep Commander CRD graces the front cover of Jeep Action Magazine October edition as he just crossed the Simpson in it) and my family have lagged behind. We have bitten the bullet to catch up! They all live in the East so we will be travelling East at least once a year and doing at least one serious off road trip annually. Having said all that - I hear you re the wheel location and I hadnt realised the Disco 3 had such a low roof load rating. I'll go the rear bar after all.
Post #2114384th Oct 2007 9:22 am
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4
Accessories Installed

BlackPerth,

I have a V8 (for an excellent price) but that encouraged an auxilliary tank. I had the Long Range Automotive tank installed by the factory in Melbourne whilst on business. It works fine. While the D3 was in LRA's shop, I had them put in a 45l water tank where the rear seat foot-well is (I have a 5 seater, so that space was otherwise empty). Other than a terrible incident of me bumping the valve and soaking the car's interior, (Note: look under the right edge carpet at the wrist-sized wiring harness and the car's computer under the driver's seat and ponder getting them soaked in water - at least I did it with clean water Censored took 3 days in the bush to dry out the wires, computer and get a re-start) the spare water tank is a great addition.

The spare lived for several months either on the rack or inside. After struggling to get a "side-speared" ruined 19" tyre on the rack at night on a slope (at least it wasn't raining) I put on the 4x4 Intelligence spare holder. Had a 2nd sidewall speared tyre a couple of weeks ago and changing it was a delight (albeit expensive). The spare holder was put on by Offroad Equipment and it works just fine (but occasionally confounds the reversing sensors). After experiencing the (a) frequency of tyre failures - the low profile 19" Wrangler HR's seem to be designed to be side-speared, and (b) cost of tyres - slowly replacing the highway tyres with 19" MTRs - I ended up buying a entire spare set of RRS 9" wide wheels with near-new highway-biased Pirelli Scorpions on them (on the internet from Melbourne somewhere and less expensive than 4 new tyres Very Happy ). I plan to put on the MTRs for pipeline work and offroad fun but use the Pirelli's to get to the pipelines.

While driving Melbourne - Perth last Easter, I managed to knock off the so-called plastic shield in front of the recovery point (yes, on the Eyre Highway I knocked a bit off the car Evil or Very Mad Granted it was night, Censored rain and heavy road works were underway but damaging a D3 on a road designed to be used by Falcons Yawn ?) I'm therefore about to get some alloy shrouds installed for the front radiator and the radiator bends. Will report how they perform later.

Also had Landrover put on the raised air intake (which is NOT a snorkle but after my inside water experience I'm not sure I'd want to try over-bonnet water level crossings) and the front A-frame. The A-Frame is worthless for even pushing backwards out of sand but it helps in visualising where the front of the vehicle is. Also if you're thinking of any beach work, get a set of decent sand mats and train yourself to quickly deactivate the traction control. You'll need both regularly mu D3 seems to sink readily in winter-worn beach sand the D3. I also purchased a large screen GPS (plug in variety). One nice attribute of the vehicle. The heavy use of fibreglass in the roof allows the GPS to happily receive signals from anywhere near the gear shift. It doesn't have to be mounted on the windscreen. I have/had on headlight protectors and just had one broken by a parrot with a death wish. The headlight was untouched but rather smelly, so the protector did its job. I'll be getting another one this weekend. As you know, finding a shop with available labour to install anything in Perth is a challenge, hence my doing some work in Melbourne when away on "business".

Have fun!

Jim Dowell
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #2119245th Oct 2007 5:03 am
PBob

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

DingMark,
Which headlight protectors are you using, or is there only L/R ones?
You say you will replace the broken one, do you have to buy the set of two?
 2006 HSE TDV6 Bonatti Grey, ECB bull bar, tropical roof, LG Next G car kit, Tom Tom GPS, UHF, Mitchell Bros tow bar, Kimberley Kamper Limited Edition camper trailer and 23 foot Haines Signature half cabin (Towed separately!)  
Post #2119315th Oct 2007 8:04 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

PBob,

I was using the LR headlamp protectors. They do have a tendency to loosen and flail around in the wind (using a car wash gun is an easy way of blowing them off the car). A bit of duct tape on the top metal support solved that tendency. I haven't yet bought the replacement and assume that I'll have to get the pair to replace the broken one, but will report back when purchased.

Cheers,

Jim Dowell
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #2119515th Oct 2007 8:49 am
PBob

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

DingMark,
Thanks for that, you have confirmed what I was thinking - even down to the car wash gun. I have one busted as well (kamikazi bird) and need to replace same. L/R are pretty motherless with the design of these!
 2006 HSE TDV6 Bonatti Grey, ECB bull bar, tropical roof, LG Next G car kit, Tom Tom GPS, UHF, Mitchell Bros tow bar, Kimberley Kamper Limited Edition camper trailer and 23 foot Haines Signature half cabin (Towed separately!)  
Post #2120625th Oct 2007 1:11 pm
WayneD

had the dual battery system installed yesterday. Apparently with the latest Oddessey battery which is 80ampH. Had two additional plugs installed in the rear plus Andersen plug for a camper trailer. The battery fits in the engine bay in the compartment on drivers side. Isolator cuts out aux battery if the main gets to 12.5amps. Will test it this weekend as we head off down the South Coast NSW for a couple of days camping. Mr. Green
 Take the road less traveled. Dual battery system.ORS drawers,LR cargo Barrier.ARB Bull bar,side protection bars,Mickey Thompson ATR's 17" rims, Rear wheel carrier, radiator guard TPMS Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch LR RAI Steel Rims , GME UHF, Off Road GPS, Llams (yet to be fitted)  
Post #21366610th Oct 2007 6:43 am
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Wayned
Where abouts down the coast are you headed

Post #21368710th Oct 2007 8:42 am
WayneD

Hi Norto,
Going down to Crookhaven to have a look at an onsite van. Was down at Batemans Bay two weeks earlier. You have got some nice drives down that way. Would not mind doing Bendethera, have a couple of spare weekends coming up if you are interested in doing something?
Cheers
Wayne
Post #21406511th Oct 2007 2:35 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >