13%
 13%  [80]
EGRs not blanked & MAP sensor clean
13%
 13%  [76]
Total Votes: 583

ThatMartinChap

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

I need to do mine - what do you guys clean this with ?

I am particularly interested in how to clean the "hole" of the sensor without resorting to sticking a needle in it an knackering it ?
 Also Gone : MY14 D4 SDV6 HSE : Barolo Black + Almond
Sadly Gone : MY08 D3 TDV6 HSE : Stornoway + Alpaca + Privacy + BAS Remap 

Post #8786774th Jan 2012 3:37 pm
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

I used a quick squirt of WD40 and some soft tissue paper....did it carefully a number of times until the tissue came out clean.... Thumbs Up
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #8786864th Jan 2012 3:58 pm
ThatMartinChap

I was tempted to use wd40 as it seems to clean most things - I am a little concerned that it may leave residue that could affect the sensor ?

Post #8790445th Jan 2012 10:41 am
crwoody

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I used WD40 on mine ages ago and have had no problems whatsoever, I took it out for a check a couple of weeks ago and it's still perfectly clean.

TBH, with all the oily sooty crap they are normally exposed to from the EGR, I would very much doubt that there's anything in WD40 that could be any worse for it.
 Clive

Post #8790555th Jan 2012 11:09 am
ThatMartinChap

crwoody wrote:
with all the oily sooty crap they are normally exposed to from the EGR, I would very much doubt that there's anything in WD40 that could be any worse for it.

That's a very good point. Thanks

Post #8790605th Jan 2012 11:22 am
al cope

England 

Just done mine - was in a similar state to those gunky ones picture (42k miles). Cleaned with WD40 - will now wait and see what difference it makes, especially in the smoke output.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #8792345th Jan 2012 4:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Spottyone

Italy 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 3

Mine is pretty clean after 46,000 km (28,000 miles).
EGR not blanked. (I'll do it soon!).
http://flic.kr/p/b8WYJa

Post #8802447th Jan 2012 5:43 pm
Spector303

United Arab Emirates 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteLR3
Re: Go and clean you MAP Sensor NOW!!!

[quote="DSL"]If you've cleaned your MAP sensor how's it looking?? Pics please. Here's a starter for 10 in case you've not been following the ESF thread.

Has it made any difference if you've had high mpg & sluggish performance?

Instructions on how to do (at your own risk as non techie) here. http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic63478-45.html

Dear DSL, thank you so much for this post.

On a recent 500mile trip travelling with my family from Aberdeen to Bath in our 05 TDV6 (58000miles), I experienced a complete lack of power under heavy acceleration whilst overtaking followed by a rapid decceleration as the car went into some sort of engine saving mode. This is just what you need on the motorway! The cure was to limp onto the hard shoulder switch off, wait for 10 minutes, restart and the car would be ok again - for a while! A dozen episodes of this, and only using gentle tickling of the throttle we were very much releaved to eventually reach our destination. I took the car for diagnosis to the main LR Dealer in Trowbridge and after running the diagnostics they told me that the turbo and all other turbo related parts would need to be replaced and would cost upwards of £2000! I had no remaining warranty so I went away to think about it. After some net surfing I found your link and decided to give your suggestion a try. I was expecting my MAP sensor to be clean as a whistle but upon removal I was actually very pleased to find that the sensor was reasonably sooted up but a part of me thought that the problem may not be this simple. I cleaned it very, very carefully, reassembled and guess what?.....fault cured...YIPEE! So a big thank you to you and all others who post on this forum for the most invaluable advice.
Thumbs Up
To other owners, if you haven't done this yet...go and do it NOW!

Post #8804658th Jan 2012 7:57 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Spec, hate to do a bit of bubble bursting but i had same and part of the problem was the turbo and it did need changing. Hopefully not in your case. Did you get ENGINE SYSTEM FAULT message? If no you may have sorted it, if you did you need the tea leaves (codes) read and see if there is an underlying turbo problem (though sounds like the dealer did that and came up with turbo underboost error). Also have you had a non LR fuel filter fitted? That was contributing to my non ESF shutdowns after turbo was replaced, due to fuel starvation. Also some peeps have had this with high pressure fuel pump problems. I wouldn't assume the problem is fixed, just be aware that it may come back. Hope it is though. Thumbs Up

Post #8804988th Jan 2012 10:42 am
Spector303

United Arab Emirates 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteLR3
Bubble's still OK

DSL, going strong now for the last 7 weeks and touch wood I have had no turbo problems. Yes I did get the ENGINE SYSTEM FAULT warning but not each time I lost power. Prior to cleaning the MAP sensor I replaced the fuel filter with the genuine LR article as I had suspected fuel starvation/partial intermittent blockage from experience on other vehicles but was rather disappointed when it failed to cure the problem. These vehicles are very complex indeed and each having their own individual idiosyncracies I guess I have just been lucky with mine..so far anyway but I hope this works for others who encounter similar problems as it has for me.
Incidentally the stealers told me that the high pressure pump would have to be replaced too, turns out they were wrong about this as well it would seem, the MPG figures went back up to where they were prior to the problems and the engine is running sweet. Very Happy Arctic Frost

Post #8805448th Jan 2012 12:36 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Excellent. Thumbs Up

Post #8805478th Jan 2012 12:42 pm
dozzer

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Just read this post so nipped out and did mine, as I expected it needed attention as a fair amount of gunk present. Not had chance to take it out yet so hope to see some change from tomorrow Wink

Post #8805598th Jan 2012 1:13 pm
al cope

England 

well since doing mine a week ago, I dont now have stealth mode Rolling with laughter

If I booted it, you couldnt see the traffic behind for the clouds of smoke (which was rather embarresing out of an 09 plate car) - which since cleaning have virtually gone - havnt noticed any other changes - but this one will do for me Thumbs Up

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker

Post #88298213th Jan 2012 6:27 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Now that's weird, had similar experiences but with a twist. After cleaning my MAP sensor, which improved things re pickup & mpg, I replaced it with a new one as had ordered one from TLO by that stage. On a few occasions, fairly full throttle, it was like a WW2 destroyer making smoke. Pulled away from the M6Toll tag lane just by switching on the CC and the smoke was something to behold. Smile

OK, could live with that, but the car needed its remap as it had lost it when new turbo was fitted. Sad TFC reapplied TorqTune Smile and car was back to it's normal happy self, less the smoke.

Weird or what. Whistle

Post #88300713th Jan 2012 7:50 pm
al cope

England 

well I cant say I'd really, really booted mine until after I'd got the BAS remap done (and then it was compulsary Bow down ), so at first thought the clouds of smoke were down to that, but I reapplied the standard map and it was still there, so that was just a conincidence, so remap repplied. Never thought it might be down to the map sensor, but obviously air to deisel mix was out of kilter somewhere if that much unburnt money was being pushed out the back.

I'll keep an eye on it now, probaly worth a clean every 5k or so.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #88301313th Jan 2012 8:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 27 of 48 <123 ... 262728 ... 464748>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >