13%
 13%  [80]
EGRs not blanked & MAP sensor clean
13%
 13%  [76]
Total Votes: 583

Berlin Warrior

Germany 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

After reading this, just checked mine, whoa, looked like a carbon mole hill, completely plugged up Big Cry anyway, cleaned it as per most on here, bit of WD40 and the eye of a needle for the inners and then went for a check ride down the Autobahn Very Happy

2007 (MY2008) 93K kms, TorqTune remap from TFC Smile

Result, speed increasing had to back off when a truck pulled out on me Sad another 10 kmh in there somewhere I think.

Click image to enlarge
 Knowledge & Reason - the arch enemy of faith

MY2008, Java Black TDV6 HSE, Alpaca with straight grain Wood, 19" alloys, fully loaded with all the toys Smile

Discovery 3, you know it makes sense. 

Last edited by Berlin Warrior on 15th May 2011 3:11 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #79673115th May 2011 3:04 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Wow, 190kph/120mph!! Shocked Shocked

Post #79673415th May 2011 3:09 pm
Berlin Warrior

DSL wrote:
Wow, 190kph/120mph!! Shocked Shocked

........and still pulling like a Torq Tune train Smile

MY2008, Java Black TDV6 HSE, Alpaca with straight grain Wood, 19" alloys, fully loaded with all the toys Smile

Post #79674015th May 2011 3:11 pm
Dave T

England 

Well it does seem to have made a difference, definately appears to be a bit more responsive and the range on the tank has increased overall by about 80 miles, will see mpg when I top up on Fuelly, or is it all in the imagination? Thumbs Up
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #79703016th May 2011 7:06 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
The Large One

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Guys

as a couple people have called me requesting new MAP sensors, due to, umm faulty cleaning Whistle
i have looked into them and realised the complete egr valve is cheaper than the MAP sensor alone Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Map Sensor
£166.54 retail

Complete manifold/egr with MAP sensor installed
LR007124
£144.11 retail

no figure.................
 TLO has left the building.......
I no longer work for a Landrover Dealer

My little chilli sauce business http://www.thechillees.co.uk
if you would like to order anything just give me a shout 

Post #79705016th May 2011 9:12 am
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

First long run - definitely 2-3 mpg better - definitely smoother, definitely a bit more poke.

But is it the clean MAP sensor Confused , the new tyres*** Shocked or the new ashtray assembly??? Laughing

Off Topic ***the new ATs - couldn't get any more AT2s Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry apparently banned by EU drive-by noise regulations; new ATs all round. Lovely tyres, smoother drive but the drive-by noise as reflected by the M62 concrete crash barrier is WORSE Evil or Very Mad
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #79705216th May 2011 9:13 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Nick, surely you mean the plastic chamber with the egr butterfly and the MAP sensor in it? Not the EGR valve itself Confused

Post #79705416th May 2011 9:14 am
The Large One

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Gareth wrote:
Nick, surely you mean the plastic chamber with the egr butterfly and the MAP sensor in it? Not the EGR valve itself Confused

yep Embarassed tis still early and not had me coffee yet Laughing
 TLO has left the building.......
I no longer work for a Landrover Dealer

My little chilli sauce business http://www.thechillees.co.uk
if you would like to order anything just give me a shout 

Post #79706016th May 2011 9:26 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Weird thing re MAP sensor change for me was after cleaning it big improvement, then had remap applied and mpg fell 10%ish (before cleaning was -20%). Changed MAP sensor to nice new one supplied by St Nick and she's back to normal and mpg is where it should be for given type of driving.

Now leads to me thinking. I don't think there is a placebo effect, too many peeps reporting hard numbers being improved and with Berlin Warrior approaching V1 speeds it deffo seems to be doing something. As the MAP sensor governs fuel supply it makes sense when that plays up it's only going to increase mpg, we don't get lucky enough to improve things the other way. Is anyone at LR aware of this? Taken over the small sample above there must be tens or hundreds of thousands of car's affected out there. Apart from Nick, every time I mention it to a dealer or techie they either glaze over or have no idea what I'm talking about. Obviously it's not on the service schedule, it's not of any interest. I can be cynical in that changing more expensive parts is more attractive, but it's probably genuinely having no idea what is happening. I doubt LR themselves are interested in another thing on the service schedule, if they even thought there was an issue. The air filter is only changed every 45k, no way they are going to add annual checks to MAP sensors. If LRCS are watching these type of sites they would realise that there were issues, then dealers would be aware of things. Interesting thread on The Dark Side http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic22140.html?highlight= where LR Aus basically don't give a stuff re problems that aren't on their radar, to the point of hanging up on their customers, they have seriously lost the plot. Wonder if same here.

These ongoing problems for the last year (loads of ESF shutdowns, poor performance and dire fuel consumption) are part of the reasons I'm picking up a nice new Beemer tomorrow, not a D4 that I should have been buying. The line of 5 LRs as family car for us has come to an end.

Any way, where was I?? Keep checking your sensors peeps, together we'll save Da Planet. Thumbs Up

Post #79708316th May 2011 10:44 am
Berlin Warrior

Having done my flying "apprenticeship" on turbo charged piston engines (Pratt & Whitney Twin Wasp Radials rock), it amazes me that the TDV6 seems rather indifferent and largely insensitive to MAP. on a turbo charged aircraft engine, MAP is the parameter that is used to set engine power, ignore its limits at your engines life peril.

Post #79709416th May 2011 11:26 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Also surprised me that all was well after cleaning til remap applied, poss general use has a wider set of acceptable parameters, remap needs a tighter set that was outside those it was putting out.

Or co-incidentally the sensor failed when TorqTune was reapplied but doubt that. Anyone want a slightly (80k) used sensor?? Whistle Whistle

Post #79710116th May 2011 11:41 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Del....explain to my brain (we could be here sometime Whistle ).....as long as there is a hole surely it should be able to read the pressure ....no? If that is the case then the peeps who have had theirs completely covered with the gunk should therefore be the only ones with a possible sensor reading issue and therefore notice a change in performance perhaps Confused
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #79710916th May 2011 11:57 am
Berlin Warrior

DG wrote:
Del....explain to my brain (we could be here sometime Whistle ).....as long as there is a hole surely it should be able to read the pressure ....no? If that is the case then the peeps who have had theirs completely covered with the gunk should therefore be the only ones with a possible sensor reading issue and therefore notice a change in performance perhaps Confused

Yes, if it's measuring static and not dynamic pressure (which I assume it is). Although if it's partially blocked the sensors response time may well be affected.

Post #79711016th May 2011 12:01 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

DG, I'd agree except mine was only reasonably gunked, hole still there but as soon as I cleaned it the difference was immediate. In a static environment, no airflow, it would measure correctly with gunk on body but hole clear. Where there is airflow over the sensor that flow would be turbulent coz of the oil and not laminar so would/could change the reading due to the different way the air is moving. Comparison with iced up sensor tubes on aircraft, the hole is clear but the reading is wrong as the airflow is turbulent.

SWMBO's just reminded me i'm not an internationally renowned expert on MAP sensors, oh how cruel she can be!! Big Cry Big Cry

Post #79711616th May 2011 12:08 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Just wondered as the reports back on a performance increase seem a bit vague on the circumstances TBH ...maybe a new poll del ? Whistle ...have to say though that a clean one must be better than a dirty one Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #79715516th May 2011 1:14 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 22 of 48 <123 ... 212223 ... 464748>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >