Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

iPhone 4 and Factory Fitted Discovery 3 Bluetooth car Kit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Bridge of Allan Discovery

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
iPhone 4 and Factory Fitted Discovery 3 Bluetooth car Kit

Hi, I have a 5 year old Discovery 3 with a factory fitted landrover bluetooth car kit. I wanted to buy an iphone 4 but have been told that it may not work with the 5 year old bluetooth kit.....I will be keeping the car for many more years so its important that whichever phone I buy is compatible.

Does anyone out there have any info that will help? Do you have an iphone with 5 year old factory fitted phone kit and it works? I have a Nokia 5800 Music Express just now which works well and I dont need to put any passcodes in and picks up my phone when I get in so would miss similar functionality

Post #73890730th Dec 2010 2:36 pm
fireflash

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

What code do you use to pair the phone with?

2121 or 0000

Mines an 06 with the factory BT, but I still have to pair it up every time I get into the car.

The original car kit was made for a nokia phone, has yours got the connector in the centre cubby box?

You may need the BT upgrade from Wiggs to get the same funtions. ie phone book.

Had my Iphone 4 about 3 weeks works ok but no phone book.

Last edited by fireflash on 30th Dec 2010 4:05 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #73891130th Dec 2010 2:43 pm
crwoody

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

My 56 plate HSE pairs with my iPhone 4 every time without any problems, apart from when I turn on the bluetooth on the phone after starting the car, then I just have to touch "Land rover" on devices and it pairs straight away.

Mine pairs with 2121.
[/i][/u]
 Clive

Post #73893030th Dec 2010 3:29 pm
fireflash

Have you had the BT upgrade done Woody?

Mine pairs ok but I still need to put the 2121 code in.

Pain in the Censored

Post #73893630th Dec 2010 3:43 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

I'll echo Clive's post - 05 reg. S with factory-fitted BT; original iPhone and iPhone 4 both work with original BT unit.
One needs to select LAND ROVER if BlueToothis not active on 'phone before unlocking the vehicle, plus there's no ability to access contacts on 'phone via vehicle controls (iphone's voice control "works", but i find its accuracy too poor to be of use).
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #73894030th Dec 2010 4:01 pm
HansP

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I have an iphone 4, the car is from 2006 and most of the times it pairs automaticaly via bluetooth.
Once in a while it appears not to pair and i have to do it manually by putting in the code 2121.
No phone book by the way.

Post #73894230th Dec 2010 4:04 pm

Thanks very much for your comments to date, over the holiday period I will check what code I have to input and come back to the forum. Its a big spend for the iphone so I want to make sure it is compatible.

It seems that there are some who have better access than others and it isnt consistent? ie some need codes, some dont, some get access to the "phonebook" and some dont etc etc

All i do with my Nokia at the moment is scroll down manually on the phone itself when I want to call someone then press dial, and then it goes thru the car - is this what you guys mean by having access to the phonebook or is the functionality you talk about better than I do already?

Post #73894630th Dec 2010 4:16 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

there are 2 types of LR bluetooth ...aftermarket pairs with 0000 and PTI ( personal telephone intergration ) pairs with 2121

Aftermarket kit is very basic , will let you make a phone call and store about 20 voice names , thats about it .

PTI kit allows the phone to be used , voice dialling of names / numbers , dialling out from the touchpad on the radio .....and software dependant , give you phone book over bluetooth on the radio and small LCD screen on dash .

PTI up to 2008 had a cradle fitted under center consul lid ...you could get cradles for various nokia phones ..but not many

Cars 2008 and afterwards will have the ability to show the phonebook over bluetooth ...any thing below that you would need a software update on the bluetooth module .

Hope that explains it a bit for you Thumbs Up
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #73895630th Dec 2010 4:54 pm
fireflash

Cheers Wiggs

That saved a lot of typing

PM sent

Post #73895930th Dec 2010 4:58 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

Originally, one had to dictate names and numbers to the vehicle, so that it would store them for later access. With the later module & software (or combination thereof), one could directly access the numbers stored on the 'phone. This is what people mean when talking about "accessing the 'phonebook on the 'phone".

If your BT-paired 'phone makes or receives a call, then it should be 'grabbed' by the vehicle and put through the speakers. This can be deeply annoying if you get a call as you leave or return to the vehicle.

Due to the numerous combinations of BlueTooth module, vehicle software, vehicle wiring, telephone and firmware, there's no absolute guarantee that what works for one person will work for another. Why not see if you can borrow the 'phone type you want and then see how it works with your car? I'm sure with the competition for business on the High Street, you'd find a store that would assist.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #73896230th Dec 2010 4:59 pm
crwoody

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

fireflash wrote:
Have you had the BT upgrade done Woody?

Mine pairs ok but I still need to put the 2121 code in.

Pain in the Censored

No upgrades done that I know of on mine.

Once paired with the code 2121 initially, the phone now just connects every time - no need to re-enter the code.
 Clive

Post #73897130th Dec 2010 5:09 pm

DrLex wrote:
Originally, one had to dictate names and numbers to the vehicle, so that it would store them for later access. With the later module & software (or combination thereof), one could directly access the numbers stored on the 'phone. This is what people mean when talking about "accessing the 'phonebook on the 'phone".

If your BT-paired 'phone makes or receives a call, then it should be 'grabbed' by the vehicle and put through the speakers. This can be deeply annoying if you get a call as you leave or return to the vehicle.

Due to the numerous combinations of BlueTooth module, vehicle software, vehicle wiring, telephone and firmware, there's no absolute guarantee that what works for one person will work for another. Why not see if you can borrow the 'phone type you want and then see how it works with your car? I'm sure with the competition for business on the High Street, you'd find a store that would assist.

Thanks thats looking like good advice. My wife has an iphone 3 but like I keep getting told an iphone 3 working doesnt mean that an iphone 4 will be g'teed to work. Will try and get a mobile shop to try in my car before comitting.

Post #73897530th Dec 2010 5:15 pm
katana

Luxembourg 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Had an iPhone 3 paired in the past, nowadays an iPhone 4. Both without a problem and only entered the 2121 code the first time. No pairing since. All goes automatically and works super. Model year 2006.

Have the iPhone fitted to the aux, including charging, and use a brodit holder.

One (negative) thing: when I leave the car with the phone and I got a call, the call is coming in to the car while it is not asleep. It's just when the distance between your car and the iPhone is less then 20-25 meters.
 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE java black (in Europe)
Discovery 2 TD5 HSE java black (in Africa) 

Post #73912330th Dec 2010 8:32 pm

I've just checked and the code for my factory fitted bluetooth is 2121 in a 2006 car, so reading all of the posts again above it looks like I will be okay to buy the iphone 4 and it will pait automatically after the very first 2121 insertion, then I will be able to also use my phonebook on my mobile too...

Will hit carphone warehouse in the new year and ask them to trial it outside the shop in the car first though I think...

Thankyou very much for all your posts - very helpful indeed,

Happy New year

Post #73944431st Dec 2010 3:58 pm
anglefire

England 

Unless your bluetooth module software in the car has been updated to the post 2007 (I think that is the date!) one, then it should pair correctly, but you won't get the phonebook to come over.

I know, I have the iPhone 3 and have had the module reflashed by Wiggs to get it to come over. Thumbs Up
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #73949131st Dec 2010 5:41 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >