dubbs12th Oct 2013 1:00 pm
pgoeij15th Jan 2014 8:19 pm
karlglass16th Feb 2018 6:58 pm
kineland25th Feb 2018 6:05 pm
vaspista3rd Jan 2021 7:46 am

flydive

Switzerland 

danhag wrote:
In any case, the white/red wire must be connected to ignition, as it controls the airflaps.

Now you tell me Censored Wink
I thought that since it was not going to the orange wire I could leave it disconnected Sad I checked, yes it must be connected for the flaps.

Anyway, went outside, in 10 minutes I dismantled the console, connected the wire and closed up everything again, I could do it in my sleep now Very Happy

Post #7415635th Jan 2011 3:47 pm
berndv

Netherlands 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

danhag wrote:
When the heater is running and than switched off, it will follow a certain "cool-down" phase.
If the heater is activated again before it has completed the shut-down, it could generate an error entry.
This could happen when the heater is switched on by phone, switches of by turning on the ignition and switches on by the motor-electronics again.

Assume I have the orange wire connected. the fbh is switched on by the phone. I turn the ignition and then start the car. When I turn the ignition to the first position, the gsm controler switches off and fbh shuts down.
While FBH is shutting down, I start the engine and the car will attempt to activate the fbh again
You say an error is generated but what happens to the fbh. Will it attempt to fire up again or will it not run until my switching off the engine and starting it again?
On the other hand what happens when I don't connect the orange wire and the fbh stays switched on while I start the engine.
And what if after a few minutes the timer's time is up and it shuts down?

Post #7415645th Jan 2011 3:52 pm
berndv

Re: the 20 min problem

dick dastardly wrote:
when the fbh is talked to with the wbus protocol the fbh will only be partly controlled i.e. fuel pump will not be working and the fbh works until the fuel reservoir is exhausted.

The D3 has a Thermo Top V fbh and can be talked to in a "TTV Zuheizer" protocol (extended wbus) whereby fuel pump is also activated. if you guys have ordered the gsm pro version and i think you have, then you can configure the gsm pro unit to talk ttv extensions (in sms config, property 30=4)

I don't think the D3 kit has the GSM pro version. It should have been a bit more expensive with that option I guess. When I change the property to 30=4 it still returns W-Bus instead of w-bus pro.
Shame they did not put the pro version in if the normal version limits the use to only a certain amount of minutes.

Post #7415925th Jan 2011 4:28 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

berndv wrote:
dick dastardly wrote:
when the fbh is talked to with the wbus protocol the fbh will only be partly controlled i.e. fuel pump will not be working and the fbh works until the fuel reservoir is exhausted.

The D3 has a Thermo Top V fbh and can be talked to in a "TTV Zuheizer" protocol (extended wbus) whereby fuel pump is also activated. if you guys have ordered the gsm pro version and i think you have, then you can configure the gsm pro unit to talk ttv extensions (in sms config, property 30=4)

I don't think the D3 kit has the GSM pro version. It should have been a bit more expensive with that option I guess. When I change the property to 30=4 it still returns W-Bus instead of w-bus pro.
Shame they did not put the pro version in if the normal version limits the use to only a certain amount of minutes.

Thats ok but if you run the FBH long enough to empty the fuel res it will cause all sorts of problems even making the car run uneven when first started, thats why a safe margin of 40 mins is used.
And from my experience over the last few days of having plenty of flat batteries 40 mins is long enough when you are powering the fans as well.
This would have to be thought about if you use the green wire to manually run the FBH as well, if your battery is getting old it will struggle with this drain on it.

Flydive

Thats why I kept my red & white wire in place as it worked ok this way... but I know what you mean about ripping the dash apart, I have done it in the dark for the past few days in the early hours of the morning. could do it blind folded now Shocked

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #7416215th Jan 2011 5:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
danhag

Germany 

berndv wrote:
dick dastardly wrote:

Well, the maximum heating time of the Thermo Top V is limited to an certain value by the internal-software of the heater itself. Regardless of the settings of the GSM remote control or any other device, the heater will shut down after this period of time. So the use of the PRO-version would not necessarily allow a longer heating time.

If you want to run the heater longer, you just have to turn off the heater and turn on again.
The maximum heating time depents on the factory settings off the heater and could be 30minutes up to a maximum of 255minutes. So if the heater runs only for about 20minutes, there is a different problem.
To avoid a flat battery, the heating time should not be longer as the time the engine is running afterwards.

daniel

Post #7416635th Jan 2011 5:56 pm
TwelveSticks

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

So... with reference to this spare green wire that seems to be able to manually start the FBH & blowers:

1) can danhag confirm that this wire can be used for this purpose Question

2) can this be connected to a Webasto timer to allow both timed and immediate application of heat? I happen to have one going spare from the Webasto/GSM mod I didn't get around to, and which this one has now superseded, so if this is possible, can anyone suggest how to connect it? Whistle

Post #7416875th Jan 2011 6:31 pm
berndv

I have build a little switch into the gsm unit for manually switching it on and off.
The wires are connected to the device side of the connector where the red and green wires find their origin
No I can manually switch it on and off without having to put and wire a switch somewhere in the car.
attached a pic:
Click image to enlarge

Post #7417845th Jan 2011 8:48 pm
Flack

berndv

Nice little mod there bud...

ndsykes

<<<2) can this be connected to a Webasto timer to allow both timed and immediate application of heat? I happen to have one going spare from the Webasto/GSM mod I didn't get around to, and which this one has now superseded, so if this is possible, can anyone suggest how to connect it.

Yes it can if you look on there website it shows you this setup and I think there is a wireing diagrame as well, if not its very easy to wire up, have a look at the old post on the Board for the FBH mod by phone it will tell you on there how to wire up the Timer.
I too have a spare Timer and GSM unit now from my old installation and am already thinking of a way to use it on the car, I might wire it into the heated seats from my second battery.

I am looking in to a way I can use my old flashing LED from my first GSM install, I had a little red flashing LED on the front of my car that I could see from my house that the FBH was running. But with the new Danhag system this is no longer an option because if I wire it in this system it will be flashing all the time.

What I do like about the new FBH mod is that you can mess with car open and shut doors and the FBH still runs until the time set in the GSM. Not like the old one, when as soon as you did anything it would shut down the FBH.

I have looked at the cable harness from the GSM but none of the wires are suitable for this purpose, I might just end up moving the LED so it can only be seen from a certain position when the FBH is running.

flack Thumbs Up

Post #7418385th Jan 2011 9:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
flydive

Switzerland 

@Berndv
that looks like a neat solution Thumbs Up

@Flack
Could you wire the flashing led to the yellow wire, the one going to the FBH?

Post #7418745th Jan 2011 9:56 pm
Flack

flydive wrote:
@Berndv
that looks like a neat solution Thumbs Up

@Flack
Could you wire the flashing led to the yellow wire, the one going to the FBH?

Yes I could but I think it will still flash the LED all the time the Burner is running even when the GSM has shut it down, unless somebody who is good at reading electrical schematics can tell me different. If it would work this way then its very easy to attach it to this as its right next to it.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #7419165th Jan 2011 10:28 pm
berndv

I figured out a way to use my homemade home automation system to start the fbh at a specific time thus using it as a remote timer.
I am able to send a command from my phone to my home server specifying the time I want the fbh to switch on.
At the specified time, the home server dials the gsm unit to switch the fbh on and sends me a text message to say it has done so. Laughing Laughing

@Flack
Did you try the black wire from the gsm box.
according to the manual it should have 12v when switched on. I don't know whether this changes when switch mode is set to w-bus?

Post #7419185th Jan 2011 10:32 pm
flydive

Switzerland 

I think we are having way too much fun with this Very Happy

Post #7419225th Jan 2011 10:36 pm
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

berndv wrote:
I figured out a way to use my homemade home automation system to start the fbh at a specific time thus using it as a remote timer.
I am able to send a command from my phone to my home server specifying the time I want the fbh to switch on.
At the specified time, the home server dials the gsm unit to switch the fbh on and sends me a text message to say it has done so. Laughing Laughing

i use openAlarm on my android phone to do scheduled stuff (can also do sms)
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #7419255th Jan 2011 10:44 pm
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

any one know which wire the red/white connects to within the harness ? I dont have a harness and had assumed orange = red/white.
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #7419285th Jan 2011 10:46 pm
Flack

berndv wrote:

@Flack
Did you try the black wire from the gsm box.
according to the manual it should have 12v when switched on. I don't know whether this changes when switch mode is set to w-bus?

Nice one berndv

I did test all the wires from the GSM when the FBH was running but did not get a feed on the black wire, if it does then thats the one to use...

flack Thumbs Up

Post #7419315th Jan 2011 10:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 19 of 49 <123 ... 181920 ... 474849>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >