vezzo834th Sep 2011 5:32 pm
dubbs12th Oct 2013 1:00 pm
pgoeij15th Jan 2014 8:19 pm
karlglass16th Feb 2018 6:58 pm
kineland25th Feb 2018 6:05 pm
vaspista3rd Jan 2021 7:46 am

berndv

Netherlands 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Interesting thought about omitting the country code.
I got it working with a t-mobile UK sim I normally use when visiting the UK.
When dialing in from my Dutch phone, it works.
What I can imagine is that it does not properly recognize your number with the country code. But with a dutch sim in the gsm unit I did not even get a confirmation of the configuration. I can't see where omitting the country code could help there but I will give it a try.

I have come to the stage where my FBH starts but does not work for the full 45 minutes, I set it to. After little over 20 minutes it stops. The green light on the gsm unit remains on for 45 mins though.
I don't hear any blower going. I tried turning the little potmeter but noticed no change. The potmeter seems to have no ends. I can turn it round forever. so no clue in what position it is and how much you should turn it to notice any difference.
When the fbh was running for about 15 minutes I think I noticed heat coming from the vents. Might be a blower running faintly somewhere after all but it could be some draft from the vents as well.

@Vette92: If you say tap into the light green/black wire, does that mean that there are two green/black wires with one being light green/black and one darker green/black? I tapped mine into the first green/black wire I came across.

Post #7404873rd Jan 2011 12:25 pm
Bonowww

Hi guys, I’ve just had a response from Danhag having sent them an email a couple of days ago to see if the group offer is still an option, (I was surprised to get a response so quickly considering their website states they have broken up for Christmas/New Year hols), however, sadly the expired ended at the end of December.
Sounds like it’s full price for me, although if you guys are struggling to install it, I have no chance. I guess I need to wait a little longer!
Bono

Post #7405033rd Jan 2011 1:45 pm
vette92

Norway 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Flack,

No, I'm not speaking German, but I'm working with electronics (The wireschematic are english..)
But I also think the installation instructions are rubbish!

berndv,

there are two green/black wires, one dark green and one light green.
The potmeter has multiple turns, so keep on turning...
The FBH is sensitive to battery voltage, so if you try to run it multiple times with a little weak battery, it would shut down all by it self..

Regards

Post #7405223rd Jan 2011 2:34 pm
flydive

Switzerland 

Progress, still not there but improving.

Looking at the wiring diagram and with vette92 post, I realized I got the wrong wire, now connected to the right one.

Now the blower gives a quick burst, half a second, and stops, tried to turn the potentiometer but no change(does the same if I connect pin 1 and 3 on the controller plug.)

Couple of suggestions/ideas/tips for installation, this on a RRS, LHD, Auto gearbox, but with little variation could apply to others.

1. the instruction call to drill a hole in the bulkhead, but if you remove the cover of the box on the LH side of the engine bay and then look at the bulkhead, behind a big wire bundle, you will see a rubber grommet, I removed it, punched a hole in the soundproofing material and pulled the wire through there, made a hole in the middle of the grommet and refitted it.(it is very tight there, be carerfull not to get your hand stuck)

2. Fuse, There is a inline fuse in the wire harness, you might want to make it more accessible, if it blows you will have to dismantle the console again to access it. At the same time you might add a switch to turn off the controller for long term parking or summer(you can do the same removing the fuse or the plug from the controller I guess)

3. did not want to drill the glove compartment to install the GSM controller in it, so I fixed it with velcro on the bottom of it, not the best place for reception, but I will add a wire extension and fix the antenna in a better place. For a cleaner fit and for best reception you might try to connect the controller to the existing roof mounted antenna, should not be to hard, will look into it.

Post #7405363rd Jan 2011 3:27 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Ok update I can get it working ie the fans running & the FBH running if the car is woken up by just putting the key in or turning on the radio, but when turn the ignition on it still does not shut it down.
Also when the fans are running turning the pot on the unit does not seem to do anything as the fan speed is low.

Vette92 Yes I just found the schematics but me being a mechanical guy it might as well be in German, I am sure between us all we will sort it out, as I am a step closer now.

just need to find out why it does not shut down when I turn on the ignition

Find out why my Prog light flashes when I start my car.

Fan running and speed control and it should all be fine.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #7405383rd Jan 2011 3:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
berndv

The potmeter is like these old bank vaults. You have to know the secret code turning them back and forth and all of a sudden BINGO! Fans are running now.

My battery has been on the charger all night so should have been fully charged. Hopefully it is not EOL of the battery.

Just by luck I took the right green/black wire yesterday i.e. the light green/black one.

I managed to get things to work with my dutch sim as well. I think partly because I put some settings in using the uk sim and partly because I left out the country code for the master number. I think I'll try to put the same number with countrycode in the second position to be able to use the heater when abroad.

The only issue remaining now is that the fbh does not switch off when the ignition is turned on.

Post #7405403rd Jan 2011 3:30 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Shame I've not got mine yet as this is right up my street and I'm powerless to help Sad
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #7405543rd Jan 2011 4:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SJ

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

A lot of guys are saying that the FBH is not switching off when they turn the ignition on. Is this because the outside temp is still below 7degrees, and the engine temp isn't high enough? So the FBH would still run as it normally would in these conditions? Just a thought Rolling Eyes

Post #7405633rd Jan 2011 4:39 pm
Flack

SJ wrote:
A lot of guys are saying that the FBH is not switching off when they turn the ignition on. Is this because the outside temp is still below 7degrees, and the engine temp isn't high enough? So the FBH would still run as it normally would in these conditions? Just a thought Rolling Eyes

I don't think it is because the light on the GSM unit stays full green, I would have thought it would have gone back to flashing green if the key switch stopped it, I may be talking Censored , but we will see.

Can any of you post a close up picture of the connections from the pot unit as there are some wires that are very similar, it would just confirm that we are all wired the same.

I am a bit baffled as why mine fans work when the car wakes up and as soon as the car sleeps it stops.

berndv

Have you not got the flashing program button when you turn the ignition on ???? . if not can you send a picture of your pot unit on how you have wired it up.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #7405703rd Jan 2011 4:57 pm
berndv

Hi Flack,

Mine has the flashing prog button as well. But with me every also works when the car is asleep. I don't need to wake up the car first.
So there is a difference between your and my situation. I didn't make any pictures. To do so, I would need to open things up again. I am afraid it won't be until later this week that I have time for that.

One thing I noticed on the images earlier in this post that the connector that has the black wire attached to it, has two green/white wires. I don't know whether mine is on the light green/white or on the dark green/white wire because I picked the first one I noticed. I could easily have picked the wrong one.

Also without the newly installed kit, you will hear the fbh running for a minute or so when you shut down the engine. Apparently the fbh needs some time to shut down. It might be that when turning on the ignition the fbh starts it's shutting down sequence but takes a while before it acutally shut down completely

Post #7406743rd Jan 2011 7:52 pm
Flack

berndv

I am thinking that the flashing prog button might be right, because everything works as it should on HVAC system when I start my car with the prog button light flashing, maybe its the car resetting the CAN bus to get the heater controls where they was before we fired up the FBH with the new system.

You have picked the right green / white wire first, its the one to left of the blue wire looking from the top of the connector.

I think we might have the other plug to the ipu/ pot unit not wired correctly as there are the same similar wire colors on that plug.

Nearly there I like a challenge like this ... lol

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #7406833rd Jan 2011 8:00 pm
berndv

vette92 wrote:

The FBH is sensitive to battery voltage, so if you try to run it multiple times with a little weak battery, it would shut down all by it self..

I just ran the fbh with a battery charger connected. Even then the fbh shuts itself down way within the programmed 45 minutes. When I checked after about half an hour, the fbh had shut down but the fans were still running. The light on the gsm unit was still green.
This would make voltages an unlikely cause, wouldn't it?

Post #7407033rd Jan 2011 8:27 pm
Flack

berndv

I think the max time the FBH will run is forty mins, I have set mine to that time and it runs for that time length ok I just can't get my fans to work when they should....

Flack

berndv wrote:
vette92 wrote:

I just ran the fbh with a battery charger connected. Even then the fbh shuts itself down way within the programmed 45 minutes. When I checked after about half an hour, the fbh had shut down but the fans were still running. The light on the gsm unit was still green.
This would make voltages an unlikely cause, wouldn't it?

Post #7407053rd Jan 2011 8:31 pm
flydive

Switzerland 

Like I said my FBH seems to shut down at around 20 mins, I programmed it at 30 mins and it shuts down immediately, without the cooling down period, so I suspect fuel, also the LED is steady green till the time is up.

I'm 98% sure on mine the black wire is connected to the light green/white wire on plug #2, as it look it should be reading the wiring diagram.
If I connect the pin #1(black) to pin #3(red) I get a quick burst of blower and stops immediately, maybe I have to try playing with the potentiometer.

Post #7407093rd Jan 2011 8:43 pm
Flack

Update

Ok success, everything works now except the shutdown when I turn my ignition on, had it running for 35 mins the fan started at the set time of 5 mins delay and run ok, after this time ( it was plus 1 deg outside) the car was quite toasty inside.

One thing I would say is don't have the fans running to fast as this will have a cooling effect on the system unless the vent is shut to outside air temp, not sure if this is the case, if not then the fan will draw in cool air and effect the water temp in the heater matrix.

I found a bad solder joint on mine I had put sleeving around the joint and could not see that it had broken until I had cut the sleeving off. When I re-soldered the wire all was ok, I had to play around with the pot screw, just like vette92 had said in his post.
I just turned it one way for about 6 full turns, turned it back and with in a couple of turns back the fans sprang in to life.

I was wondering if you guys that can't get it to run to the set time, did you use the website to configure it, I just text the configuration from my phone and it seems to work ok, I tried all the different combinations of codes and phone numbers from there website and could not get it to work, but as soon as I text the setup from my mobile I had a reply within 20 seconds with the settings listed on my mobile.

We just need to sort out why it does not shut down when the ignition is switched on and its all sorted then.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #7408174th Jan 2011 1:04 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 15 of 49 <123 ... 141516 ... 474849>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >