Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

FBH- Has yours fired up yet (UK)?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 14 of 32 <123 ... 131415 ... 303132>
geirstein

Norway 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Unfortunately we don't have Redex here in Norway....

Anyway I made a new breakthough today based on the ansver from 4b4.

After sucessive trials with clearing out faultcode B1D29 and attempting to run the FBH, it shut down after a couple of minutes every time.

Then i used an air compressor with a blower gun into the FBH air intake, and kept blowing after the FBH started...

Appearently with the airgun blowing, the FBH kept running and fault code B1D29 never apeared. I managed to give it at 20 min run until the engine was warm without any new fault codes.

Hopefully this has "de-glazed and cleaned out the residue" inside as proposed by 4b4. I am looking forward to tomorrow morning, it is prognosed -18 degrees...... 8), so guess I will get the final verdict of the FBH. Wink

Post #73156314th Dec 2010 9:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
IanNP

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Most people have the 'fault on startup'.
This was the issue with mine.

I used Forte diesel treatment - better than redex.
With less than 1/4 tank put the whole bottle in - force the FBH to run.
First few times lots of smoke and no run.
Fith or sixth attempts it ran and has run quite happily (2years) since.

The way the FBH shuts down (burn out) is suppose to prevent it clogging up, as it burns off any unused fuel.

Ian
 ..so what can I fiddle with today that ain't broken ...?  
Post #73158114th Dec 2010 9:34 pm
Jimmysin

United Kingdom 

I have to admit, being a new member and just starting to get to know the LRD3, I had no idea of the infamous FBH..... is that an accessory that you install after market or does it come actually with the original car? I've seen a few youtube videos about the smoke and I am speechless to see how ugly it looks!!. Do I have any other option if the car is in freezing conditions? Big Cry

Post #73165414th Dec 2010 10:46 pm
IanNP

If it is diesel D3 you have one.
Open the bonnet and it is on your right just above the headlamp, before the battery box.
It has a sticker on it with red wavy heat lines and a hand with a cross through it.

They don't all emit great amounts of smoke in normal use.!

Ian
Post #73169414th Dec 2010 11:29 pm
4b4

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Agreed Ian - now the "burn off" issue is resolved, my unit is running without any smoke at all!
 55 D3 (Mine All Mine!)
55 Freelander (Bosses)
86 90CSW (Always Dirty)
90 Fiesta #1 & #2 Sons' Transport 

Post #73183715th Dec 2010 10:51 am
geirstein

Norway 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

This morning everything was hunky dory and the FBH started and ran without faultcodes, most likely due to the treatment yesterday with the air gun.....

Stopped an started the car 4 times during the day without anny signs of problem with the FBH (approx -5 to -10 degrees).

But weirdly enough, when I parked just now, the fault code B1D29 had shown up (1 out of 5 times) without me noticing when during the last run, it appeared.....

Anyway a fantastic improvement, and the next project will be to do a treatment with Redex, Forte or something similar..

Razz Geir Sheep

Post #73215415th Dec 2010 9:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
4b4

That is weird - my vehicle has sat on the drive for a couple of days so Ill see what happens when I start her later.

Could be "Sludge" in fuel pipe supplying the unit? - the aim of putting the RedEx in was to clean these pipes, as presumably the fuel remains pressurized in them after the unit has switched off and doesn't drain back to the tank - resulting in a certain amount of stale fuel/gundge 9 months+ later?

I will watch out though.

Steve
 55 D3 (Mine All Mine!)
55 Freelander (Bosses)
86 90CSW (Always Dirty)

Post #73241616th Dec 2010 12:23 pm
4b4

Just to report - everything's fine - warm & toasty after 3 odd miles. Very Happy
 55 D3 (Mine All Mine!)
55 Freelander (Bosses)
86 90CSW (Always Dirty)

Post #73252616th Dec 2010 5:00 pm
peterm

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Mine died completely last week. Was working fine, then one morning it just didnt start. No fan, smoke or anything. LR read some fault codes and did a continuity test which failed. They didnt provide more details unfortunately. New unit ordered from the UK, now I need to see if LR will cover as it's just 2w out of warranty, if not my extended drive-train insurance should. I'll see if I can get the old one and take apart to see what went wrong.

/Peter
 Gone and missed : D3 TDV6 SE MY2008  
Post #73253316th Dec 2010 5:12 pm
radders89

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Morning,

Can anyone tell me with any certainty what the crack is re whether the FBH only works if the incar heating needs to be on/off/auto/econ etc as there seems to be a number of opinions on this.... Confused

For the record my FBH fired up a few weeks ago but nothing since! Big Cry

Radders
 MY15 D4 SDV6 HSE Corris Grey - Gone
MY05 D3 TDV6 SE Zambezi silver Auto Alpaca leather - Gone
MY02' Seat Leon 1.6s Metallic Black cloth trim with a hint of mould

Club Sandwich

Women... Can't live with em, can't kill em... 

Post #73379419th Dec 2010 9:51 am
Matty 2332

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

It differs from model to model. Mine (MY05) needs the heating on (either in auto, manual or economy) and the ambient temp below 5 degrees for it to work. The instant heat button on the oval timer will not over ride this. It will fire it up on the timer only and of course the heaters will not be on but the car will be in 'sleep mode'.
As I have mentioned previously, you only get 3 failed starts on the FBH and it will lock out. Has your low fuel light been on in the past week? , if so then you only have to do 3 stop/ starts and it will lock out. When this happens I use the instant heat button which over rides the lock out, when I have time I then reach for my FCR and clear the lock outs and its then back to working on both its normal car settings as well as the oval timer.
Does that make sense Rolling Eyes

Post #73380819th Dec 2010 10:58 am
IanNP

radders89 wrote:
Morning,

Can anyone tell me with any certainty what the crack is re whether the FBH only works if the incar heating needs to be on/off/auto/econ etc as there seems to be a number of opinions on this.... Confused

For the record my FBH fired up a few weeks ago but nothing since! Big Cry

Radders

The FBH is don't forget not a parking heater.
It is there on a D3 to supplement the engine heat. Without it the engine can not maintain normal temp.
With the external temp at 5deg or below the FBH will run.
There are some conditions and exceptions to this such as the angle of the vehicle and amount of fuel in the tank.
Post #73387719th Dec 2010 3:20 pm
radders89

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Matty2332:

I think I understand what you are saying.....

Re the model to model differences I don't suppose you know where this info might be located do you? I've done loads of FBH searches on here but no joy. I have a 2005 SE.

If the FBH is NOT a parking heater then why does it only work when certain heater controls are switched on then (depending on which model you have)?

Think I'm struggling to completely understand the world of the FBH...... Embarassed
 MY15 D4 SDV6 HSE Corris Grey - Gone
MY05 D3 TDV6 SE Zambezi silver Auto Alpaca leather - Gone
MY02' Seat Leon 1.6s Metallic Black cloth trim with a hint of mould

Club Sandwich

Women... Can't live with em, can't kill em... 

Post #73396519th Dec 2010 5:47 pm
IanNP

radders89 wrote:
Matty2332:

I think I understand what you are saying.....

Re the model to model differences I don't suppose you know where this info might be located do you? I've done loads of FBH searches on here but no joy. I have a 2005 SE.

If the FBH is NOT a parking heater then why does it only work when certain heater controls are switched on then (depending on which model you have)?

Think I'm struggling to completely understand the world of the FBH...... Embarassed

OK.
When the D3 was first released in 2004 there was an option to be able to set a timer for the ATCM (heater control) to set the vents and blower fan and turn on the FBH for about half an hour.
The feature didn't work very well and rather than LR solve the problem, in early 2005 the feature was dropped and removed from those that had it as they where serviced by LR.
When the vehicles where 'facelifted' around 2006/2007 the FBH loom was changed removing the telestart as well.
The FBH then as standard became just a supplementary heater on the D3. It is not affected by the ATCM being on/off etc etc - or it shouldn't be as every D3 will be running the same flash ATCM software and it is from this that the FBH is contolled via the medium CAN. If you monitor the medium CAN it is possible to see the FBH data, which is in basic form 'FBH - ON' or 'FBH - OFF'.

The FBH system supplements vehicle heater performance while the engine is running, the ATCM module will not start the FBH, or will discontinue operation, if any of the following occur:
-> The control module is in the lockout mode.
-> A crash message is received from the Supplemental Restraint System.
-> A low fuel level message is received from the instrument cluster.
Cluster (413-01 Instrument Cluster)
-> The battery voltage is too low. When starting the FBH, battery voltage must be 10.25 - 15.5 volts. When the
FBH is running, operation will be discontinued if battery voltage decreases to less than 10.25 volts.

Supplementary heating is requested by the ATCM while the engine is running if the ambient temperature is less than 5 °C (41 °F) and the engine coolant temperature is less than 75 °C (167 °F).
The ATCM cancels supplementary heating if the ambient temperature increases to 5 °C (41 °F), the engine coolant temperature increases to 75 °C (167 °F), or the engine stops.

Start Failure and Flameout: If a start sequence fails to establish combustion, or a flameout occurs after combustion is established, the FBH control module immediately initiates another start sequence. The start failure or flameout is also recorded by an event timer in the FBH control module. The event timer is increased by one after each start failure or flameout, and decreased by one if a subsequent start is successful. If the event timer increases to three (over any number of drive cycles), the control module enters the error lockout mode.

The 'W-Bus' is enabled on the LR FBH, and is how the optional extra telestart was connected into the system. (The 'W-Bus' is still enabled on the new RR, RRS and D4). This allows more or less any standard Webasto Thermotop contoller to be added. Many people have added the 'oval' timer which allows 'manual' contol of the FBH, warming the enging coolant without the engine running, but does not turn on the ATCM.
Regardless of how the heater vents are left, when the key is removed the ATCM closes all the vents, so even with the 'oval' timer the interior of the vehicle does not get warm, just the engine coolant.
Post #73407319th Dec 2010 8:37 pm
The Transformer

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Ours has packed up, possibly due (if I understand it) due to starting the car a few times with the low fuel light on Rolling Eyes Embarassed ???
I tried the removing the fuse trick but no joy, is there any other way to try a reset without a faultmate etc?

Cheers

Cliff

Post #73408319th Dec 2010 8:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 14 of 32 <123 ... 131415 ... 303132>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >