United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

The water pump? Confused
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #72966010th Dec 2010 11:38 pm
Matty 2332

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Just started using my (BBS) Fault code reader, which is astounding. It picked up that my FBH was locked out. I didnt realise as I use the oval timer which overrides the vehicles FBH control. What i can say in my own experience is that if you use your vehicle in temps 5 degrees or less your FBH will come on, however if your low fuel light comes on it will stop, this will happen on start up as well if your low fuel light is on. You only get 3 chances with this and it will lock out. I tried the fuse out trick and just about every other combination but it didnt work. So either get yourself a BBS FC reader for £235 plus postage etc and you can read/ clear all your faults inc FBH, or £60 plus for the oval timer and it will work on demand whether locked out or not as it over rides the vehicles ECU. Thumbs Up

Last edited by Matty 2332 on 14th Dec 2010 6:33 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #72969811th Dec 2010 12:42 am
kevofcov

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4

Just joining this thread quite late.
My ’56 HSE, with Oval timer, has a FBH that I believe is stuck in prime mode – it responds but is generating smoke like the fleet is under attack.
It was all reset by a stealer recently and this stopped the problem. “Don’t operate the timer with low fuel, you only get three chances”.
Struth, within 10 days I had set the timer with no fuel in the tank – doh
The FBH is now making smoke like under attack again with or without Oval timer.
Do I need to visit the stealer again or is there anything that I can do to help myself?
Thanks in advance, Kev

Post #73004811th Dec 2010 8:52 pm
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Press the instant button on the timer and then remove the fuse next to the battery (29 i think) and repeat this 3 times.

Voila. Lock-outs/fauts cleared. Thumbs Up
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #73011411th Dec 2010 10:18 pm
IanNP

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

There are two pumps - diesel fule and water..
The water pump circulates the water Confused
This is attached to the FBH. Can't miss it it has two large water pipes attached to it!
 ..so what can I fiddle with today that ain't broken ...?  
Post #73014411th Dec 2010 11:35 pm
brihawk

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

After fitting the timer and RF I was still getting false starts. The FBH would start with loads of thick smoke then it would blow it's self out. Rede in the tank and 4 Good fires and all is fine.

Post #73034812th Dec 2010 5:07 pm
brihawk

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

After fitting the timer and RF I was still getting false starts. The FBH would start with loads of thick smoke then it would blow it's self out. Rede in the tank and 4 Good fires and all is fine.

Post #73035312th Dec 2010 5:18 pm
4b4

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Ok -now got my Faultmate FCR & I'm going to clear all those failed code lockouts tomorrow - be interesting to see if I'm going to have the "short run" problem Shocked
 55 D3 (Mine All Mine!)
55 Freelander (Bosses)
86 90CSW (Always Dirty)
90 Fiesta #1 & #2 Sons' Transport 

Post #73111614th Dec 2010 12:51 am
4b4

OH MY GOD - HEAT Shocked

BUT - Ran the Faultmate & cleared FBH Faults, then started her up - lots of smoke for 30 Secs then nothing - checked the FBH exhaust & no output!
Stopped engine & waited for what sounded like a pump to stop (about 1 min) - plugged Faultmate back in & got Fault Code B1D29 (I think) - "failure to start - even after re-start" so cleared fault again, started car & got same result - 30secs of smoke then cutout so turned engine off again.

Faultmate showed same fault code so, asuuming I'd get 3 goes before a complete lockout started car again - this time no smoke at all so turned off engine & cleared the code.

Repeated start, smoke, nothing, turnoff, clear fault about half a dozen times, then decided to go to Garage for some Redex & double dosed the tank. (Actually ½ a bottle does 50 litres so it's not quite that bad)

Drove home & cleared the fault code & left her to cool down.

Went back out after about an hour - started her up, had a small amount of smoke then thought I'd check the exhaust again - AND NOW I HAVE FINGERS THAT SMELL OF A MIXTURE OF PARAFIN & ROAST PORK Rolling with laughter

Let her idle & she came up to temp in 7½ mins what a difference Thumbs Up

I think one of the main things that has come out of these threads is that the FBH gets full of cr*p that is difficult to burn off/out, but that they can be reserrected.

Faultmate cost £235 + shipping but I'm presuming I'll need to use it next winter to kick-start the FBH again so it'll probably work out to be a good investment.

Now, if I could only get rid of the bl**dy "Bonnet Open" & horn on locking the car I'd be a happy man (off to search the Forum again) Rolling Eyes
 55 D3 (Mine All Mine!)
55 Freelander (Bosses)
86 90CSW (Always Dirty)

Post #73128314th Dec 2010 3:11 pm
geirstein

Norway 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

4b4,

I iterpretate that your posting is concluding that RedEx cured the problem, sounds fantastic.....

Is it also correct that after the redex-treatment the fault code B1D29 stopped re-apperaring when checking the FBH with the faultmate?

Confused Geir

Post #73128714th Dec 2010 3:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
crwoody

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Good to hear of your solution to the FBH problem, I'll have to try that with mine.

4b4 wrote:
... Now, if I could only get rid of the bl**dy "Bonnet Open" & horn on locking the car I'd be a happy man (off to search the Forum again) Rolling Eyes

You'll most likely find it's the bonnet switch, it's clipped in beneath the left side bonnet catch, (looking from the front,)
I replaced mine recently for the same reason, I took it out and checked it with a meter and it appeared OK but was still intermittent in the car, a new one was only about a tenner and a 5 minute fix.

You can always unplug it and shove a paperclip into the socket as a temporary fix. Whistle
 Clive

Post #73131414th Dec 2010 4:12 pm
4b4

Geir - don't think that RedEx is the only thing that cured it - I think that you have to "force" the FBH to fire up so that it gets de-glazed and clears out any residual "old" fuel in the pipework - I added the RedEx as it's a cleaner and thought it might help as others have suggested. I also added it as I'd just filled up from Tesco's & wanted to make sure the fuel was going to be good enough for our next expected cold spell. It seems that once the FBH is running on clean, new fuel, it works ok - most seem to clog up over the 9 months a year when the FBH isn't needed. I don't think I could have forced the fire up without the Faultmate though.

Crwoody - just done the paperclip thing Embarassed - took out the plug (which seems ok) re-seated it & still got the "bonnet open" warning Evil or Very Mad

Q - Was it the bonnet switch that's attached to the underneath of the bonnet catch you changed? - I presume you just unbolt the whole catch assembly to swap it over?
 55 D3 (Mine All Mine!)
55 Freelander (Bosses)
86 90CSW (Always Dirty)

Post #73132214th Dec 2010 4:40 pm
crwoody

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Yes it's the one attached underneath as you said, but it's only clipped in with a couple of little plastic "barbs", no need to unbolt anything, but it may make it easier to remove the grille.

The paperclip, once opened out, needs to short out the two connectors in the plug on the flying lead that unplugs from the switch.
 Clive

Post #73133014th Dec 2010 5:01 pm
geirstein

Norway 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

4b4,
i had the same problem as you and did the paperclip trick (and leaving the connector unattached, preventing short to earth with some tape around it), a simple solution to an annoying problem...

Just make shure that the bonnet is actuually closed befor heading off to the highway.

Wink Geir

Post #73133614th Dec 2010 5:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rabbit Leader

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Still cold ...

Well mine never fired up from the day I had it ... I only remembered it had one after reading this forum!

Given it's warranty is out next January, to the dealers I scurried ...

4th attempt at fixing it, LR have finally agreed to fit a new unit!

Basically, they got it to fire up, but would only run for 30 seconds or so then stop.

They fitted a new pump they said (on the 4th attempt) but to no avail ...

Anyone know how much these things are new, if I were to buy one? I know Martin was after a 2nd hand one ...

So the dealers say they'll call me when the new one arrives (LR have none in their warehouse they say - wonder why?)

I will of course keep you posted Thumbs Up

Also bought a bottle of Diesel Reddex today - havent used it yet, but can't hurt, eh Idea
 Paramedic, Father, Dog lover and Husband ... in no particular order!  
Post #73140714th Dec 2010 7:14 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 13 of 32 <123 ... 121314 ... 303132>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >