Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D3)

Manual Gearbox XYZ Sensor Failures
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 8 <12345678>
dippo

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi
I am new to world of Discovery 3 and bought one in good faith in March this year it is a 2005 model 120k serviced and looked good to me...I had cam belt done straight away and just put it through MOT which it failed on an Orange P which came up day before MOT booked....was told to get new EGR valves....£600.. decided against that and followed someone on here to re-calibrate the manual gear box which worked!!!
Problem I think came from gearbox being a bit sloppy, you have to fight to find gears and naturally the gearstick if in neutral would NOT ping back to sit in between 3-4 as you would expect. My question is how do I fix it? I read a few other threads and the detent circlip was mentioned....will this help? Is this the equivalent of the D2 BIAS PLATE? Wi;; it give my gearbox it's spring back?

Post #171986214th Oct 2016 4:11 pm
The Keeper

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Had all of the sysmtems on my MY59 Discovery 4 2.7 TDV6 last week and followed the instructions from Stevie B in this thread...

1) Find a long straight and quiet section of road.Neutral
2) Select LOW Ratio.Shocked
3) Reverse for about 200 yards or until you get the beep and the R on the dash gear number indicator. And then a tiny bit more for good luck. Stop, then...Neutral
4) Go forwards in 1st until number appears. Clutch pedal must be fully raised each time.Exclamation
5) Then up through the Gears waiting for each of the numbers to appear. Do not skip any gears!Mad
6) Stop at 6th, back into neutral, switch off engine.Confused
7) After a brief rest, I took a couple of minutes just to make sure all the bad ju ju was gone and to have a quick wee as it was just all too exciting.Whistle
Cool Restart and select High Ratio and you're on your way..Laughing

All now sorted Very Happy Respect Stevie Bow down
 D4 - Stornoway Grey
2.7 TDV6 - Manual
EGR Blanked
BAS Remap
Rear privicy glass
Discovery Sport steering wheel
20" Landmark Wheels
Black Landmark side vents
Black rear lights
Black side indicators 

Post #172113517th Oct 2016 9:03 pm
dippo

Hey Stevie

Yeah I had seen this neat trick on here and already done it....it works however the light has come back 3 times now in last week...I think it is the wobbly gearstick? it does not snap back into position as you would expect.

Thanks

Darren

Post #172136018th Oct 2016 10:46 am
hgrimmett

2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

The wobbly stick is to do with a broken detent circlip. That's a 10 minute job and 50p part... I doubt that's your problem to be honest.
 -------------------------------------------------------------------
D4 '15 (64) Se Tech Indus Silver
Tesla Model Y LR (22)
Audi TT Roadster 225 (52)
Tesla Model 3 LR (70) (gone)
Porsche Boxster '96 2.5 5spd project (P)
Mini R52 S (54)
BMW 330e eDrive MSport '16 (gone)
D3 '07 (56) XS TDV6 Buckingham Blue (gone) 

Post #172139618th Oct 2016 12:19 pm
dippo

I actually bought a clip last week...due to the size of it i thought maybe i had bought wrong thing...have you a link to any video or instructions on how to fix?
Also do you think this is reason for calibration falling out?

Many thanks!

Post #172139818th Oct 2016 12:21 pm
hgrimmett

2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...0guide.pdf Thumbs Up

No I don't think it would be a reason for the calibration failing but I don't really know and until you do the detent you'll not know...
 -------------------------------------------------------------------
D4 '15 (64) Se Tech Indus Silver
Tesla Model Y LR (22)
Audi TT Roadster 225 (52)
Tesla Model 3 LR (70) (gone)
Porsche Boxster '96 2.5 5spd project (P)
Mini R52 S (54)
BMW 330e eDrive MSport '16 (gone)
D3 '07 (56) XS TDV6 Buckingham Blue (gone) 

Post #172450925th Oct 2016 10:00 pm
bronjen

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
X Y sensor issue

A while back my xy sensor started playing up,
I have recalibrated numerous times successfully only for it to stop working a few days later, however the gear indicator does work in all gears.
Have changed the clutch that was worn
have replaced the gear lever circlip that was worn
The sensor does work as the gear lever comes out of reverse for a second,
When in neutral on a slope if I let the D3 roll backwards R is indicated and reverse sensor and reverse lights work.
I was advised to clean the magnet, I have trawled the web and can't find any reference or pics to help me with my task.
Over the christmas break I have access to a four poster ramp, so my plan was to drop the rear of the box, remove the 4 screws that hold the sensor and remove the magnet and clean up the area before replacing the unit.
Has any one done this and how far do i have to drop the rear of the box, while am in that area is there anything else i should check
Advice as always warmly welcomed
thanks
Ron 8)

Post #175498429th Dec 2016 11:00 am
The Keeper

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Have you tried this Bronjen?

3) Reverse for about 200 yards or until you get the beep and the R on the dash gear number indicator. And then a tiny bit more for good luck. Stop, then...Neutral
4) Go forwards in 1st until number appears. Clutch pedal must be fully raised each time.Exclamation
5) Then up through the Gears waiting for each of the numbers to appear. Do not skip any gears!Mad
7) After a brief rest, I took a couple of minutes just to make sure all the bad ju ju was gone and to have a quick wee as it was just all too exciting.Whistle
Cool Restart and select High Ratio and you're on your way.

I also re-calibrated the XY sensor several times with my IID tool and the fault returned each time. Did the above and the problem was resolved and hasn't reoccurred.
 D4 - Stornoway Grey
2.7 TDV6 - Manual
EGR Blanked
BAS Remap
Rear privicy glass
Discovery Sport steering wheel
20" Landmark Wheels
Black Landmark side vents
Black rear lights
Black side indicators 

Post #175503029th Dec 2016 12:41 pm
bronjen

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
X Y sensor issue

Hi sorry I should have said in my post I have carried out the gear relearn procedure numerous times including switching off until the car goes to sleep (red light on dash goes off) it last for a couple of hours or days, then we lose reverse / sensors but interestingly not the gear numbers on the dash

R Confused

Post #175505329th Dec 2016 1:07 pm
GaryBlack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

The Keeper wrote:
Had all of the sysmtems on my MY59 Discovery 4 2.7 TDV6 last week and followed the instructions from Stevie B in this thread...

Cool Restart and select High Ratio and you're on your way..Laughing

All now sorted Very Happy Respect Stevie Bow down

Dear all, Thanks for the advice, my local gagrage wanted to replace the parking brake unit for £900+. I followed the advice as the car also presented other problems and everything now works. Thank you.

Post #176507518th Jan 2017 8:52 am
csontnelkuli

Hungary 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Stevie B wrote:
Had this problem myself. Park Brake fault light! Loss of gear Indication Number on Dash. Loss of Reversing lights when in Reverse and no Reversing sensor. Otherwise car drove well Question

Went to an unnamed LR Dealer in Saltash, Cornwall. They quoted me almost a grand for a new clutch plus more if I had to replace the flywheel Exclamation Exclamation

I was a little strapped for cash and started asking round non LR dealers and one of them being a former LR Dealer mechanic told me it was the sensor (XY) that tells the Car what gear it is in and it needed resetting. Then he said it can easily be sorted and to do this before doing anything else...Idea

8) Restart and select High Ratio and you're on your way..Laughing

I did this and problem fixed. This (wee optional) resets the XY sensor...Wink

However; if the light keeps coming back on check your revs when putting your foot down. If they slip up and slow down while the speed catches up then your clutch plates are on the way out. This eventually happened to me 40k miles after my first problem. As long as the clutch isn't juddering violently each gear change, then it should be a case of just new plates without a flywheel replacement...Confused

NB: In the case of having new plates the fault light will be lit upon receipt of your motor. Give it a few miles for the new plates to bed in then reset the XY sensor and the fault light will miraculously go out...8)

Hope this helps and saves someone forking unnecessarily when in a few minutes you can sort yourself out... Arrow

Good Luck...SB... Thumbs Up

Thanks a lot mate! I had the same problem but now it fixed! My 2005 D3 dropped me the yellow parking break warn light yesterday, then I was realised that the reverse light doesn't work. I hope my clutch won't flying out soon....

Post #189335023rd Dec 2017 8:37 am
Curly

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I had the yellow park brake light on after about 1 or 2 miles driving. Xy reset done nothing. Rear parking sensors started with the one tone in reverse before the park brake light.
I replaced the rear parking harness. Guess what no more park brake fault light.
Is it a coincidence or have I killed 2 birds with one harness.cheers

Post #18963761st Jan 2018 10:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ratmanroverdisco3

Re: X Y sensor issue

bronjen wrote:
A while back my xy sensor started playing up,
I have recalibrated numerous times successfully only for it to stop working a few days later, however the gear indicator does work in all gears.
Have changed the clutch that was worn
have replaced the gear lever circlip that was worn
The sensor does work as the gear lever comes out of reverse for a second,
When in neutral on a slope if I let the D3 roll backwards R is indicated and reverse sensor and reverse lights work.
I was advised to clean the magnet, I have trawled the web and can't find any reference or pics to help me with my task.
Over the christmas break I have access to a four poster ramp, so my plan was to drop the rear of the box, remove the 4 screws that hold the sensor and remove the magnet and clean up the area before replacing the unit.
Has any one done this and how far do i have to drop the rear of the box, while am in that area is there anything else i should check
Advice as always warmly welcomed
thanks
Ron 8)

Hi bronjen, I know it was a while ago but did you sort your problem out? If so what was the issue (was it the magnet?) As I have exactly the same problem as you have described. I've got a fault saying something like gearbox y sensor?
Been scratching my head for a couple of months now.
Dave

Post #194506314th May 2018 10:34 am
Bob M

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Bali BlueDiscovery 3
XY sensor ECU

Hi All,
Can anyone answer please when the software was changed to make the gearshift xy sensor more tolerant.
Which ECU is it on the manual D3
I have had to reset mine twice in 1000 miles, first time towing second 50 miles after towing.
Had done the Birmingham M6 7.5 mile stop start roadworks in between.
I cant detect any clutch slip, but obviously the above stop start towing the caravan will have some slip.

I have an MSV2 so should be able to update the firmware if it was later than my Nov 07.

Thanks

Bob

Post #207808823rd Aug 2019 5:55 pm
nickbos

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Stevie B's guide worked for me too. Many thanks indeed - that will certainly have saved me a few bob down at the menders.

Suspect, however, the symptoms may be my truck's way of telling me it's coming up to needing a new clutch. I've had it since 142K and have put 10K on it myself and suspect I'm riding on the second one since new. How long does a typical clutch tend to last mileage-wise? I remember that a Chrysler Voyager I once owned was still on the original clutch at 102K, and despite being told it needing changing you could still hold the vehicle on the clutch biting point on a fairly steep incline with no slipping or burning.

Post #21029571st Dec 2019 4:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 7 of 8 <12345678>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >