Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D3)

Manual Gearbox XYZ Sensor Failures
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 8 <12345678>
popsdosh

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

When I had manuals the only times I had XY problems was when in an emergency situation towing I had inadvertently slipped the clutch.However having had 2 that did 100K plus I never had a clutch replaced so maybe I was lucky.I am afraid you do not always realise when you momentarily slip the clutch.
I must admit the clutch has gone in the D4 as there is more torque to handle and also because of the D3 issues they had.

Post #84787716th Oct 2011 7:08 am
Dave-H

Stevie B wrote:
Had this problem myself. Park Brake fault light! Loss of gear Indication Number on Dash. Loss of Reversing lights when in Reverse and no Reversing sensor. Otherwise car drove well Question

Went to an unnamed LR Dealer in Saltash, Cornwall. They quoted me almost a grand for a new clutch plus more if I had to replace the flywheel Exclamation Exclamation

I was a little strapped for cash and started asking round non LR dealers and one of them being a former LR Dealer mechanic told me it was the sensor (XY) that tells the Car what gear it is in and it needed resetting. Then he said it can easily be sorted and to do this before doing anything else...Idea

1) Find a long straight and quiet section of road.Neutral
2) Select LOW Ratio.Shocked
3) Reverse for about 200 yards or until you get the beep and the R on the dash gear number indicator. And then a tiny bit more for good luck. Stop, then...Neutral
4) Go forwards in 1st until number appears. Clutch pedal must be fully raised each time.Exclamation
5) Then up through the Gears waiting for each of the numbers to appear. Do not skip any gears!Mad
6) Stop at 6th, back into neutral, switch off engine.Confused
7) After a brief rest, I took a couple of minutes just to make sure all the bad ju ju was gone and to have a quick wee as it was just all too exciting.Whistle
8) Restart and select High Ratio and you're on your way..Laughing

I did this and problem fixed. This (wee optional) resets the XY sensor...Wink

Stevie, you're a genius!! Bow down

Had this problem with a relative's disco, been reset by dealer once [80 flipping quid!!] but back on after a couple of months, so left.
Tried your 'fix' ... it worked a treat. Thankyou 8)

Post #86027717th Nov 2011 8:35 pm
RollisRover

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Thanks Stevie B.

I found out the hard way last week that if you get frustrated following a dawdling idiot Evil or Very Mad , and in a rush to overtake you slip the clutch, you spend the rest of the journey home from London to Plymouth with an orange brake warning light in your face.

As usual the forum knew the answer and 5 minutes on a quiet Dartmoor road yesterday and another trip to the dealer was averted. That's two saves by the forum in the month i've had the D3.

Thanks all. Thumbs Up

Post #8671785th Dec 2011 10:25 am
jabber2252

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Wifes come home from work this evening to inform me "Your cars broke again!" She still hasnt forgiven me for not buying the Volvo XC90 Whistle

All the things other posters have said. Parking warning light and no gear showing on dash also no beeps when reversing or lights.

Strangely, if I ease the gear stick out of reverse, the beep begins and the reverse lights come on so def seems like a sensor issue.

Will give the self fix a go and post results.

As a Disco virgin, this site is a god send, thanks guys for all the advice. Thumbs Up

Jabber
 No darling I do not want a VW Sharan!!!!  
Post #87587027th Dec 2011 8:53 pm
jabber2252

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Just got back from finding a quiet road and am very pleased to confirm that my disco is cured (for now)

Many thanks Stevie
 No darling I do not want a VW Sharan!!!!  
Post #87588327th Dec 2011 9:30 pm
capt crash

2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
Clutch and XY

Carmichael,

I am suffering the same issue with my 2009 Discovery. Land Rover are investigating and the dealer is being less than helpful claiming it's my driving style that caused the problem.

Have you made any progress with Land Rover? I would like to hear what your strategy is as I'm not going to take this lying down.

Post #8811399th Jan 2012 5:19 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Jabber, have you tried the fix mentioned above......?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #8811469th Jan 2012 5:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Thecountrycompanion

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3
It fixed my adult it's a miracle!

Dave-H wrote:
Stevie B wrote:
Had this problem myself. Park Brake fault light! Loss of gear Indication Number on Dash. Loss of Reversing lights when in Reverse and no Reversing sensor. Otherwise car drove well Question

Went to an unnamed LR Dealer in Saltash, Cornwall. They quoted me almost a grand for a new clutch plus more if I had to replace the flywheel Exclamation Exclamation

I was a little strapped for cash and started asking round non LR dealers and one of them being a former LR Dealer mechanic told me it was the sensor (XY) that tells the Car what gear it is in and it needed resetting. Then he said it can easily be sorted and to do this before doing anything else...Idea

3) Reverse for about 200 yards or until you get the beep and the R on the dash gear number indicator. And then a tiny bit more for good luck. Stop, then...Neutral
4) Go forwards in 1st until number appears. Clutch pedal must be fully raised each time.Exclamation
5) Then up through the Gears waiting for each of the numbers to appear. Do not skip any gears!Mad
7) After a brief rest, I took a couple of minutes just to make sure all the bad ju ju was gone and to have a quick wee as it was just all too exciting.Whistle

Stevie, you're a genius!! Bow down

Had this problem with a relative's disco, been reset by dealer once [80 flipping quid!!] but back on after a couple of months, so left.
Tried your 'fix' ... it worked a treat. Thankyou 8)

Thank you so uh everyone I too have just been down a quiet road and it worked!! Everyone tells me I must be mad for buying a Disco but then when it comes to I am always the one carrying their sofa how from Ikea or getting that massive plant back from the garden centre. You gotta be prepared for faults on such a techy car but then consider why you bought it in the first place - no one can say they feel safer and more old than when in a Disco!

Post #96483811th Aug 2012 6:56 pm
COB

Ireland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Stevie B wrote:

However; if the light keeps coming back on check your revs when putting your foot down. If they slip up and slow down while the speed catches up then your clutch plates are on the way out. This eventually happened to me 40k miles after my first problem. As long as the clutch isn't juddering violently each gear change, then it should be a case of just new plates without a flywheel replacement...Confused

NB: In the case of having new plates the fault light will be lit upon receipt of your motor. Give it a few miles for the new plates to bed in then reset the XY sensor and the fault light will miraculously go out...8)

Hope this helps and saves someone forking unnecessarily when in a few minutes you can sort yourself out... Arrow

Good Luck...SB... Thumbs Up

Many thanks, Bow down Worked great

Got the parking brake warning yesterday, then last night told by a person in a car park that I had no reverse lights. After checking fuse and bulbs, began to be a little concerned, thoughts of having to go to local LR to be ripped off again.
Thanks again. All the best

Post #96880523rd Aug 2012 3:33 pm
andy ward

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Stevie B wrote:

However; if the light keeps coming back on check your revs when putting your foot down. If they slip up and slow down while the speed catches up then your clutch plates are on the way out. This eventually happened to me 40k miles after my first problem. As long as the clutch isn't juddering violently each gear change, then it should be a case of just new plates without a flywheel replacement...Confused

NB: In the case of having new plates the fault light will be lit upon receipt of your motor. Give it a few miles for the new plates to bed in then reset the XY sensor and the fault light will miraculously go out...8)

Hope this helps and saves someone forking unnecessarily when in a few minutes you can sort yourself out... Arrow

Good Luck...SB... Thumbs Up
hi guys, i lent my disco 3 to ex wife the other day to take kids to dentist, it came back with the same faults ! i have just read this thread and took the car down the road to try and its all back to normal now ! thanks so much , i was scratching my head and was starting to think a big garage bill was coming my way...oh and just to add on my car the mirrors auto dip in reverse, this function had stopped working too, but all fine now.... many thanks andy  
Post #99230521st Oct 2012 2:32 pm
rovlecky

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
amber Park Light on dash (fix fingers crossed)

Hi
Just to let you know had same problem came up yesterday after setting off amber park light appeared, restarting cleared the fault, then re-appeared when starting off again. This on top of losing gear selection indication

i am not car techy in anyway Whistle but i purchased a faultmate FCR some months ago for such an occasion, right enuff fault code PO820 appeared (as well as several other spurious codes hmmm Rolling Eyes )

Followed the said procedure and 3 mins later gear selection was back on screen and the amber park brake has not re-appeared Very Happy

Thanks to the guys on here for posting probably saved me a fortune Thumbs Up

oh and reccommend getting a Fault reader
 Why does every page of the manual have fingerprints?  
Post #102558528th Dec 2012 8:25 pm
santiD3

Spain 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

the problem is to know why happens at the XY sensor.

Un der warranty I had 2 problems with this sensor. Second time, under warranty, dealer changed it. Until today no problems.

But also when I had this problem with this sensor , in addition to rear lights and sensor malfuntion, also a problem with my clutch: slips a little

Post #102698531st Dec 2012 8:14 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Your fault is not with the XY sensor, it is due to the slipping clutch Thumbs Up

Have a look here: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic113-45.html
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #102698931st Dec 2012 8:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
santiD3

Spain 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi Disco

I thought that, but it was reprograming the XY sensor (gear selected no showing) and clutch never slipped again and runs ok until today (2 years more or less).

may it be that the motor is protected against high engine speeds (only in manuals)?

Post #10279772nd Jan 2013 10:04 pm
rovlecky

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

...and there goes my Censored Censored Censored clutch oh well, 70k on the clock not sure which one this is so i guess the garage will best advise on the flywheel state etc... lasted 5 days from when the EPB amber light first appeared amazing because there was no clutch slip apparent until just past few days... Question
 Why does every page of the manual have fingerprints?  
Post #10303936th Jan 2013 11:10 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 8 <12345678>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >