Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D3)

Manual Gearbox XYZ Sensor Failures
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 8 <12345678>
packingstrips

The majority of switches returned to Land Rover under warranty have no fault found with them. The problem usually stems from the clutch.

Post #7560283rd Feb 2011 2:00 pm
Stevie B

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Popelka you will find I am referring to the manual gearbox hence the reference to a Clutch.... Rolling Eyes

If you require advice regarding Automatics I believe you need to find a Practitioner of the Dark Arts. Twisted Evil

Thumbs Up

Post #7560933rd Feb 2011 4:11 pm
Pikey

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
2nd time

Have all the same problems now for the second time.

The park brake issue started off the chain as it was later in the day I spotted that the MPG was the same after a couple of hundred miles, then noticed the blank space where the gear numbers should be, then the reversing lights were out. Did the quick fix for the XY sensor last week and this now works fine and it's booked in on Wednesday for the Park brake issue.

All the clutch/fly wheel issues have happened previously, now replaced twice as well, and from memory the first clutch 1500 miles! from new. I still notice that after heavy and prolonged use locally the clutch shudder starts in most gears until it's left and cooled down, then everything seems ok again.

I also noticed a week before that the radio/clock gained an hour overnight for no reason and pulled out the fuse, replaced it agian and now it works perfectly.

The service centre didn't think the park brake and XY problems were linked but it seems too much of a coincidence for all this to happen at the same time. Apparently there is something else they can try before having to replace the XY sensor (as that means gear box out again) so I would be interested to find out what, I will let you know, if they are willing to tell me what they did.

Post #76842328th Feb 2011 7:35 pm
Carmichael

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Ahrrrrrggggggh!

Two year old D3, owned just under 1 year!

New clutch fitted after 3rd failure!

Fault now for forth time... Just 6k on new clutch!!!

Was told by dealer LR were investigating and 'Tristan' from LR would call me... yesterday!

Now very, very angry - and looking at action and major publicity (my line of work) - if not resolved!

Who's with me!

Post #84691313th Oct 2011 9:05 am
Stevie B

Carmichael.

I think taking on a giant like TATA who own Land Rover these days will not be easy.

I personally believe it may just be a question of time before the whole shebang gets 'Offshored'! Land Rover workers take note. Rover went down the pan because of a lack of passion about their products. Too few new models. Not keeping abreast of the competition, poor build quality, yadda yadda yadda. It might appear LR is drifting the same way?

All that bad publicity will achieve would be a sudden loss of new custom = no profit = a folded company = sold or taken offshore.

Perhaps I'm just seeing it in too simple terms. Either way all vehicles have their foibles but it seems the Disco 3 has too many to consider.

That said when it is working I love mine to bits but I'm jealous that the garage seems to spend more time with it than I.
My Clutch replaced at 49k now at 70k and still hanging in there. I hasten to add I did not use LR for the repair....

Sadly now I have a suspension compressor problem!! In garage now and I'm well hacked off!! But in a day or two it'll be back and working and all will be forgiven and I'll be driving around with a smile on my face again.

In brief the Disco 3 is a great vehicle which gets under your skin. I just wish it would stop playing silly Censored !

I hope the Clutch and Suspension problems are matters that have been addressed in the LR4 which is where I'm heading before too long... With the increase in Engine capacity the already beleaguered clutch would just go tits up pretty sharpish...

Anyone in the know?

Wink

Post #84693513th Oct 2011 10:08 am
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Don't think you can get a manual now in the D4
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #84693813th Oct 2011 10:23 am
Stevie B

You're kidding? No manual gearbox Shocked ..... Where's the fun in that Big Cry ?

Just been doing some homework after the previous post. Only an 8 speed automatic as you say above, but it does come with paddle shifts:idea: ? Even so it still looks good Very Happy ... I'm booking in for a test drive and see if I like Bow down ?

I do enjoy the involvement of the manual gearbox but I suppose it's high time I was dragged kicking and screaming into the year of the Fruit Bat Rolling with laughter .....

See ya Wink

Last edited by Stevie B on 13th Oct 2011 11:17 am. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #84693913th Oct 2011 10:25 am
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Pre 2012 model .... You can use tbe gearstick in manual mode ( just without the clutch )

2012 an onwards flappy paddles are there for your enjoyment

Too be honest the auto is that good I just stick it in drive and leave it Thumbs Up
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #84694713th Oct 2011 10:42 am
D4JWW

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Carmichael I have similar D3 to you only done 32K, and got new turbo 7 months ago, no XYZ sensor issues so far, going in on Monday for whining noise(could be diff, turbo or all the above), you must have been unlucky at least your Car is still under warranty, but what happens after that expires is the question, extended warranty, seeing no manual gearbos option in new cars I have to keep mine and consider carreer change, officially becoming a LR mechanic, some said that was land Rover mision from the start turn all there Clients into mechanics Rolling with laughter Stevie B goodluck with the 8speed, is that 2 extra/spare gears alway good to have extra of all parts in LR that can fail, but in realitty if Character can go for 500000miles we got nothing to worry about Question
 A few mods... and keeping it all running...Faultmate MSV2
MY09EGR's blanked Thanks Bellautos, BAS 

Post #84698513th Oct 2011 12:19 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

going to stop read all this, can't sleep at night, is there anything on the D3 that works well and does not breakdown

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #84701813th Oct 2011 1:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Carmichael,
I can understand your disappointment, but you shouldn't imagine that your experience is universal, or even common.

In previous issues, like yours, there is some evidence to suggest that the flywheel needs replacing. Has this been done on yours?

Best Wishes,
Peter
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #84731714th Oct 2011 1:37 am
Carmichael

Bushwanderer - clutch and flywheel replaced last Feb

Latest is car taken in and checked Friday, hire car under LR assistance (D4HSE - nice)

Dealer liaised with LR and informed them of fault code in diagnostics. 

Fault code relates to a bulletin from LR that the cause relates to claims of riding the clutch. (Now LR checking how we drive).

Fault code (bulletin) issued March just gone! This fault has been going on for years!

This (apparently) makes it an official LR policy that they are wiping their hands of what is really a fault in manufacturing and shows that LR can't cope with a recall or find a fix to sort out the technology.

I now have the bit between my teeth, especially after being informed by LR to contact the SMMT and trading standards if I feel the need. Well, I do... and more. 

Dealer (Shukers) Have been really helpful, and are supplying all the documents and a copy of the bulletin

Stevie B - Not in awe of any large business. 

Incidentally, the helpful LR engineer who called said that left footing the brake whilst accelerating will also start the fault. I've never driven that way, but if any of you do, take note.

Post #84765215th Oct 2011 8:35 am
chalky

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Well I've got a 57 Plate manual that has just clocked up 51K and mines never suffered from the X/Y sensor failure, mis alignment, flywheel or clutch problems ?
What's more and to throw caution to the wind I left foot brake Whistle

As suggested that this problem is not Universal..............

I can understand your frustration but trying to get a Global manufacturer on the ropes over something which they will have statistics for may take a lot of time effort and money,

Good luck.
 Only dead fish go with the Flow !  
Post #84770115th Oct 2011 11:56 am
Carmichael

Thanks chalky,

They responded to problems with an earlier car some years ago and they pulled out all the stops after I went 'public', so not afraid to do it again on this particular issue. Not in a great hurry either and know this will take time.

As a businessman myself, I just can't allow such sloppy service.

Also, it's not what I say, but how I say it that will get this resolved for all.

Post #84771115th Oct 2011 12:34 pm
packingstrips

Carmichael.

Left foot braking will give a reduced engine performance fault for about 5 seconds however i wasnt aware this was the start of the XYZ switch issue as suggested by the LR engineer. In the 7 years ive dealt with these vehicle i think ive probably only had one xyz switch causing the issue...in nearly every case the clutch is at fault. If they remove your gearbox and find that its had signs of slippage and heat they will dig their heals in and likely to reject a warranty issue...if however your problem is down to a mechanical failure of a clutch component then of course it would be a covered item. Its going to be a difficult one....they will likely to ask your authority to remove the gearbox and go from there....let us know how you get on.

Post #84771415th Oct 2011 12:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 8 <12345678>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >