DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Hidden Winch Mount for D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
christyler

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Servicing an repairs

dickgriff wrote:
Very very neat 8) - How accessable is it for general servicing \ repairs?

hi Dickgriff,

Good question, i suppose the answer is, depends on how long it takes to get the bumper cover off, i recon about 30 min. Not realy field repairable, you can get to the cable clutch etc but if you needed to get to the motor etc, the bumper cover has to come off. A small price to pay the tidy look i think, and of cource i wont be using it every day so hopefully i should stay working for a good while.

Post #5563830th Apr 2006 7:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Penguin

Belgium 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

very very nice done !!!
 In a time of chimpanzees, I was a penguin.

www.m-release.com 

Post #5565730th Apr 2006 8:59 pm
nwoods

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3
Re: center trim

christyler wrote:
nwoods wrote:

I would like to know more about how you took apart the center console that surronds the radio. My knee rubs on mine, and squeaks loudly when it does. I want to take off that bit of plastic and put some squishy neoprene behind it to prevent it from squeaking. However, I cannot deduce how to remove that console.

Regards,

NW

check out my last post on the "Car PC" i discribe how to get that all off.

Fabulous! I just grabbed it from the bottom, lifted up and out with increasing pressure, and presto! Off it came. Very helpful that was. I applied some neoprene pads here and there, and now that one and only squeak in my ride is a thing of the past.

Hmmm...does that count as a mod? Smile

Post #557251st May 2006 1:04 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

This install looks very neat and tidy. I'm impressed that this can fit neatly behind the bumper. LR could have done this on their winch setup.

Does your winch have an ability to free spool the cable? If it does how can you reach the lever on the clutch?

BTW some of the problems for access to the winch are similar to that of the ARB BB.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #557321st May 2006 3:40 am
grommet

United States 

nwoods wrote:
I would like to know more about how you took apart the center console that surronds the radio. My knee rubs on mine, and squeaks loudly when it does. I want to take off that bit of plastic and put some squishy neoprene behind it to prevent it from squeaking. However, I cannot deduce how to remove that console.
It really just pulls off. (There are 4 clips that hold it in place.) Grab from both sides and start pulling; I generally start at the bottom.  
Post #557341st May 2006 4:08 am
christyler

PCH wrote:
This install looks very neat and tidy. I'm impressed that this can fit neatly behind the bumper. LR could have done this on their winch setup.

Does your winch have an ability to free spool the cable? If it does how can you reach the lever on the clutch?

BTW some of the problems for access to the winch are similar to that of the ARB BB.

Chris

Yes it can free spool, you just turn the clutch lever throught the slot in the bumper, i will post a picture for you.

Post #557801st May 2006 10:52 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
christyler

Number Plate Mounting

DiscoStu wrote:
Stunning - an excellent job. VERY professional. How're you going to fix the 'plate? Was going to suggest velcro, but you seem a bit above that....

Hi Stu,

we you said velcro, i ended up using an elastic band, i works perfectly, check out the pic, i toyed with piano hindges and stuff like that but its harde to make it work because the bumper is curved so i thought why go drilling or sticking when you don't have to. I think the hidden winch just looks great

Post #558311st May 2006 5:36 pm
nwoods

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

Looks very nice. Completely hidden.

A few follow up questions for you:
1 - Where did you obtain this hidden winch mounting plate and bumper face plate? You said a french company. Can you provide a web link?

2 - You stated that you concurrently installed the Parking Distance Control mechanism and Front Fog Lamps. I would love if you would create a new Modification thread on that, with photos and all that. Allow me to thank you in advance, so that you cannot claim it's a thankless job Smile Most curious about the software connections on the PDC. Did you have any difficulty calibrating the system? Also, from your latest photo, it appears it's only on either side of the licsense plate. Isn't also supposed to be on the corners?

3. In your most recent photo, you have a nice looking front skid plate. Where didyou find that? Can you provide a web link?

With much thanks and appreciation for your pioneering spirit, regards.

Nathan Woods

Post #558321st May 2006 5:53 pm
Gurvan

Location: Germany... Not far from both the US and Hard German rock...

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Wonderful job !

Now that is what I like... It is not as intrusive as an outside winch and doesn't seems to impair on the normal working of the front PDC. That sounds like a plus to me and I wonder if I could find someone to do that modification for me as I am afraid that I am way out of my league, here !

You said that some French company made the support for the winch, can you tell me which one ? PM eventually if you fear any shouts of "hidden advertising" but I am sure that many of us would be interested in having the details... Wink

Anyway, I say it again, wonderful job !

Just an additional thought : for maintaining the license plate in place, why not reuse some clips like the ones that used to keep the old plastic cover acting as a sump guard on an unmodified DIII ? 2 on top and 2 on the bottom or something similar might be workable, no ?

Post #558331st May 2006 5:54 pm
Gurvan

Location: Germany... Not far from both the US and Hard German rock...

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

nwoods wrote:
1 - Where did you obtain this hidden winch mounting plate and bumper face plate? You said a french company. Can you provide a web link?

I second that one ! Already did, I guess... Wink

nwoods wrote:
3. In your most recent photo, you have a nice looking front skid plate. Where didyou find that? Can you provide a web link?

I think that this is the "normal" G4 like genuine L.R accessory... Wink

Am I wrong ??

Post #558341st May 2006 5:56 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

One of the neatest mods I think I have ever seen.

Why would LR not do this, NCAP would be a guess, but what about the regular winch, or do they think we take them off when on normal roads?

Have you thought of sending details and patent to Land Rover?

Post #558361st May 2006 6:05 pm
christyler

Answers

nwoods wrote:
Looks very nice. Completely hidden.

A few follow up questions for you:

2 - You stated that you concurrently installed the Parking Distance Control mechanism and Front Fog Lamps. I would love if you would create a new Modification thread on that, with photos and all that. Allow me to thank you in advance, so that you cannot claim it's a thankless job Smile Most curious about the software connections on the PDC. Did you have any difficulty calibrating the system? Also, from your latest photo, it appears it's only on either side of the licsense plate. Isn't also supposed to be on the corners?

With much thanks and appreciation for your pioneering spirit, regards.

Nathan Woods

I got the mounting kit from www.tbruk.com talk to chris, The front PDC is also on the corners, you probably just cant see them in the photos. The skid plate is a LR part No:KRQ 500010.

Post #558431st May 2006 6:26 pm
christyler

Robbie wrote:
One of the neatest mods I think I have ever seen.

Why would LR not do this, NCAP would be a guess, but what about the regular winch, or do they think we take them off when on normal roads?

Have you thought of sending details and patent to Land Rover?

I am sure they look at this forum, They might want to offer me a job !!!!

Post #558441st May 2006 6:28 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I suspect LR wouldn't do this mod as they'd like you to have a front bumper for crash protection. It's an incredibly neat job but the plastic outer bumper isn't going to save the front end of the car in an accident and the winch/winch carrier isn't a substitute for the metal bumper that is no longer there in this mod.
It's a excellent job Chris but did you not consider the safety implications beforehand?
 The End  
Post #558451st May 2006 6:28 pm
christyler

Licence plate retention

Gurvan wrote:
Wonderful job !

Now that is what I like... It is not as intrusive as an outside winch and doesn't seems to impair on the normal working of the front PDC. That sounds like a plus to me and I wonder if I could find someone to do that modification for me as I am afraid that I am way out of my league, here !

You said that some French company made the support for the winch, can you tell me which one ? PM eventually if you fear any shouts of "hidden advertising" but I am sure that many of us would be interested in having the details... Wink

Anyway, I say it again, wonderful job !

Just an additional thought : for maintaining the license plate in place, why not reuse some clips like the ones that used to keep the old plastic cover acting as a sump guard on an unmodified DIII ? 2 on top and 2 on the bottom or something similar might be workable, no ?

Yes i did think of that, but those clips are a disaster at the best of times, they pop out fall in, i hate them. I think my present method that requires no drilling etc should work, if not the addition of some industrial velcro will fix it.
i know this sounds silly coming from me but i do try not to drill and damage major parts of the car. All my mods are done using either hidden holes or holes on panels and parts that can be replaced cheaply, thus if you ever need to put the car back to normal it's just a lot of hard work, and a few pound for bits.

Post #558461st May 2006 6:36 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >