Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Hidden Winch Mount for D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Nice job Thumbs Up wish the kit was available when I installed mine!
All the same, Bow down for dedication and effort!

Post #558471st May 2006 5:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gurvan

Location: Germany... Not far from both the US and Hard German rock...

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Re: Licence plate retention

christyler wrote:
Gurvan wrote:
Just an additional thought : for maintaining the license plate in place, why not reuse some clips like the ones that used to keep the old plastic cover acting as a sump guard on an unmodified DIII ? 2 on top and 2 on the bottom or something similar might be workable, no ?

Yes i did think of that, but those clips are a disaster at the best of times, they pop out fall in, i hate them. I think my present method that requires no drilling etc should work, if not the addition of some industrial velcro will fix it.

Ok, I can accept that reasoning and it is true that those clips are a disaster waiting to happen...

Maybe something else along those line might be workable...

I am a bit afraid of the license plate holder falling off or being offset on a road bump or something like it. That is why rubber band and velcro might not be enough to reassure me ! Wink Still wonderful job !

Another idea could be : why not hinge the license plate holder from the top ? You would have to lift it to operate the winch...

Post #558501st May 2006 5:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
christyler

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Safety Implications

Slimer wrote:
I suspect LR wouldn't do this mod as they'd like you to have a front bumper for crash protection. It's an incredibly neat job but the plastic outer bumper isn't going to save the front end of the car in an accident and the winch/winch carrier isn't a substitute for the metal bumper that is no longer there in this mod.
It's a excellent job Chris but did you not consider the safety implications beforehand?

Yes i did consider them, and i took measurments of the bumper it's size thickness and where it sits in relation to the bumper cover and discovered that the winch mount sit's in exactley the same place as the bumper used to it's made of slightly thicker steel and is about an inch an a half each side shorter than the actual bumper. Unless you can actually see all these parts side by side it is difficult to tell, afterall the mount was designed an tested to go in this space, it's not just a few bits of steel i welded up haphazardly and stuck in there.

Post #558511st May 2006 5:51 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Slimer wrote:
I suspect LR wouldn't do this mod as they'd like you to have a front bumper for crash protection. It's an incredibly neat job but the plastic outer bumper isn't going to save the front end of the car in an accident and the winch/winch carrier isn't a substitute for the metal bumper that is no longer there in this mod.
It's a excellent job Chris but did you not consider the safety implications beforehand?

I didn't realise (or could even tell from the photos) that the real metal bumber had gone. Don't know what the implications are for this in Eire, but it would be a nightmare to get insurance on such a car in the UK; let alone the legal issues. In a crash loads are transmitted through the car with millimeter perfection.

Still, looking at the photos I am finding it hard to tell where the front metal bumper is lost??

Post #558521st May 2006 5:53 pm
christyler

Hi 10

10forcash wrote:

Hi 10,

Thanks for the kind words, here's the plan, you sell your winch and stuff, buy this kit for half the money and i will come over and fit it with you. Then we can go for a nice drive in the country

Post #558531st May 2006 5:56 pm
christyler

Missing Bumper

Robbie wrote:
Still, looking at the photos I am finding it hard to tell where the front metal bumper is lost??

It's hard to tell because the winch mount has been designed to directly replace the bumper thus maintaing the cars crash integrity. Anyway i like it, if you don't then better not do it to yours !!!

Post #558551st May 2006 6:03 pm
DiscoStu

England 

Stunning job, Chris. I would like to nominate you for disco3.co.uk Ultimate Modification award!!

What do you mean, there isn't one???
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #558571st May 2006 6:08 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Re: Safety Implications

christyler wrote:
....is about an inch an a half each side shorter than the actual bumper.
Eh? Your own photos show that the metal bumper is a good 8-10" (if not more) wider each side than the winch carrier. You've got no protection on either side as far as I can see, or have I missed something? The End  
Post #558621st May 2006 6:23 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
award

i agree there should be excellent job
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication ray@rld-tech.co.uk D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #558631st May 2006 6:28 pm
nwoods

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3
Re: Hidden Winch Mount for D3

Gentlemen, I suggest you all quit harping on Mr. Christyle regarding saftey, insurance, warrentee and the like. If you value at all his willingness to particpate in this forum, then let him and don't entangle us all so needlessly on red tape issues related to the modification and/or experiment.

He is not encouraging any of us to do anything we are not comfortable with. He has only shown us what is possible if we have sufficent desire to do so.

As he himself said:
christyler wrote:
I would be happy to give any information and help that anyone needs to be able to do this, but please don't go on about "insurance" or "warrantee" issues.

So let's appreciate what he did, and leave it at that.

Regards,

NW

Post #558651st May 2006 6:42 pm
graemem

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

This is the link to the gallery
http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/index.php?cat=10567

Martin, is there any easy way to search for a particular members gallery?

Post #558661st May 2006 7:23 pm
Gurvan

Location: Germany... Not far from both the US and Hard German rock...

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

graemem wrote:
Martin, is there any easy way to search for a particular members gallery?

The direct link to that gallery at the bottom of each intervention ? Whistle

Post #558671st May 2006 7:26 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Hi 10

christyler wrote:
10forcash wrote:

Hi 10,

Thanks for the kind words, here's the plan, you sell your winch and stuff, buy this kit for half the money and i will come over and fit it with you. Then we can go for a nice drive in the country
wish it were that simple..... Sad I now have an nicely hacked about bumper cover, courtesy of LR fitting instructions Rolling Eyes , still, you're more than welcome to come for a drive anytime Wink - and take the pi$$ out of my winch mounting Laughing  
Post #558721st May 2006 8:23 pm
Ken

Now theres a Disco3 trip a group outing to Cork bet that would be fun Very Happy

Post #558741st May 2006 8:27 pm
christyler

Re: Safety Implications

Slimer wrote:
christyler wrote:
....is about an inch an a half each side shorter than the actual bumper.
Eh? Your own photos show that the metal bumper is a good 8-10" (if not more) wider each side than the winch carrier. You've got no protection on either side as far as I can see, or have I missed something?

Yes it is wider, as i said. and as i also said the unit was manufactured to fit and work as a replacement for the bumper. if it wouldent do the job i wouldent have fitted it.
Anyway if i crash the car badly enough to cause that amount of damage, im sure i really won't be worried about weather the bumper is a few inches longer than the winch mount or the differance it would have made if it was there.

Post #558761st May 2006 8:33 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >