22%
 22%  [20]
No
77%
 77%  [70]
Total Votes: 90

buzz

England 

this is probably a stupid question........but.........is there any way of checking soot build up on the vanes while the turbo is in situ????i.e. by taking off a hose or two and getting in with a torch
 Gone.......but not forgotten

06 Zermatt 7 seat auto with PDC and privacy

Club £400 V.E.D. 

Post #4639337th May 2009 5:56 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Apart from being knackered at manufacture, what else would cause a turbo to fail?? High speed use, low power use, low oil, high oil, not warming up, shutting down too quickly???

Post #4639357th May 2009 6:00 pm
JMC

Scotland 

I can knock out one suggestion Derek....... I've had turbo cars for over a decade and I never shut down an engine without a period of idle - including the D3.
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #4639387th May 2009 6:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL

Ukraine 

Thumbs Up Same here, just wondering if there is anything a driver can do (apart from starting up & putting seatbelt on and shutting down after idling) to help prevent an expensive repair. But if they are just put together badly then there is sod all we can do apart from curse LR's crap build quality. Evil or Very Mad

Post #4639417th May 2009 6:12 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

SJR wrote:
Just out of interest, of the people who voted that they have had a new turbo fitted, how many of you had got a remap on your car when the turbo failed Question

Just wondering if having a remap and the more spirited driving that it sometimes encourages Whistle would actually help avoid the turbo failing through sunday afternoon type slow driving, anmd if there is any anecdotal evidence for or against it Exclamation Thumbs Up

I got mine Remapped after, but I am the second owner and cannot be certain if the previous owner had. Neutral

Post #4639427th May 2009 6:13 pm
bigdave
Site Sponsor 

England 

No remap on mine.

The previous owner was an old boy and a bit of a toddler I think.

I on the other hand are very much in the nail the Censored now and again to clear it out.

Had endless diesel cars, mainly as a rep, and when I put 70k on them in a year they were usually flying!
 All things shipping, storage, transport. UK and worldwide.

E-mail [email protected] 

Post #4639967th May 2009 7:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SN

no remap on my last D3 which had a problematic turbo from day 1 - replaced after 30 months
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #4640237th May 2009 8:01 pm
gilbo

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Voted yes. My first D3 (2006MY) failed at about 27,000 miles and 20 months old, out of the blue when in the outside lane onf the M4 - bloody dangerous when all the power shuts down!!!! Replaced under warranty. No mods before or after.
Gilbo

Post #4640277th May 2009 8:06 pm
ronp

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

MacLeod 313 wrote:
Been trying to find the link from RonP, who also had to source his own replacement, but I think it was a link to a turbo re-manufacturer that repairs these vanes.

Yep I did do a post, but the cybermods removed it Evil or Very Mad
They must've deemed it as a commercial post Evil or Very Mad
Of course it wasn't, it was just a pointer to those who had Turbo issues.
 ...... always on the road less travelled 🚧  
Post #4640927th May 2009 9:35 pm
matt_tdv6

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I changed mine while the top was off my D3 to save having a problem anytime soon

Post #4641087th May 2009 9:59 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Stop whining ron Yawn
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #4641097th May 2009 9:59 pm
MikeT

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Answered yes, but it is was actually the vanes sticking that failed, however the unit is replaced as a whole under warranty. Therefore I don't think the idling before switch off would have been relevant. If I understand it correctly, the idling is to ensure the turbo still has a flow of oil to the bearings, whilst it slows down.

Post #4641537th May 2009 11:11 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

buzz wrote:
this is probably a stupid question........but.........is there any way of checking soot build up on the vanes while the turbo is in situ????i.e. by taking off a hose or two and getting in with a torch

Not a stupid question. Dont worry about that Wink
Its not really possible to check them, you can take the downpipe off and check how much soot is in there,but you still cant see any of the VNT mech. inside the turbo housing. THe only part visible is the external linkage etc. attached to the electronic actuator.
Im not 100% sure, but i would say it is more than likely the build up of soot inside the turbo the causes the VNT to stick, casuing the fault, unless the car isnt used much. Then it is more inclined to be the external part seizing up due to lack of use...

I had a few PM's from people also asking if the mechanism can be lubricated. Cant say I have ever tried it, as it is a bit Censored to get into, and off the top of my head, its not even that visible once you get into it...

DSL wrote:
Apart from being knackered at manufacture, what else would cause a turbo to fail?? High speed use, low power use, low oil, high oil, not warming up, shutting down too quickly???

All of the above, apart from the first one Thumbs Up
They are designed to run at high speed and at high temperatures. And even remapped, they are still within the same limits of a stock turbo.

A turbo can fail for a few reasons.
Low oil level, leading to oil starvation of the bearings, and consequent damage

High oil level, leading to overpressurising the turbo seals, causing them to 'pop', which could also cause the engine to run on its own oil, causing severe engine damage if you cant get it shut down

Not warming up and not cooling down is a biggy. Remeber that even at idle, the turbo is spinning, albeit, relatively slow. If you start up, and drive off straight away, the oil hasnt found its way through the whole engine. I remember reading that turbo's can spin at upto 240,000 RPM ( Shocked ). Imagine the damage that could do...
And for not cooling down, or not letting it idle before switching it off. Same reasoning again. If you switch it off after say, a motorway run. The oil temp in the turbo is much higher than in the engine, and causes the oil in the bearings to pretty much evaporate with the latent heat. And if you rev it before switching off, the oil evaporates/drains away from the bearings, leaving them spinning with no oil again...

High/Low power use, high power use will NOT kill a turbo, low power use will. Reson being that the turbo is desgined to run at high power, and at high power, the actuator and VNT mech. gets a good workout as its pretty much moving all the time, especially on overboost.
Constant low power use will not get the mechanism moving as needed, and over time, the excess soot WILL jam the VNT inside the turbo. That is why LR introduced the software update the excercise the VNT during start up/shut down. They will only carrry out this download under warranty if you have a genuine Turbo fault, unless you know a friendly dealer or tech. who can carry it out for you Whistle

Obviously, there are more reason than that, but they are probably not worth worrying about.

On my own car, which the forums say has a weak turbo (heard stories about turbos being replaced after 5k) I have done nearly 26k (ontop of the 44k it had already done before I got it), and had no issues whatsoever. I religiously let it idle for 10-15 secs after startup before touching the throttle pedal, enough time to get your seatbelt on, fiddle with CD's/stereo/lighs/whatever, and same again on switch off, undo seatbelt/face off CD player, carp out the boot/back seats, then switch off and lock. My missus think im a sad Censored for doing that...
Then every Friday on my way to work, i take the car for a 20 mile drive to get everything up to full temperature, find a nice big long hill, 4th gear from about 2k, and floor it to the top of the hil, letting the engine rev out to 4.5k. Smokes like a mofo,but gets everything working the way it should, and I have had no issues at all Thumbs Up

Anyway, if your still awake after reading that, i will say, its early so i apologise in advance if it doesnt make sense Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up

EDIT: Link to a turbo re-manufacturing company explaining the above soot build-up also. http://www.turbotechnics.com/docs/news/vnt_clean.htm

I am not connected to TT in any way, and any turbo re-manufacturer can carry out this work, that site is the first one I clicked on...
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Last edited by Disco_Mikey on 28th Aug 2009 8:20 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #4641908th May 2009 6:33 am
DSL

Ukraine 

I need another vote!!!!! Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

My D3 needs a new turbo now! At 20% of respondants that's a lot of turbos across the board!! Shocked Shocked

Post #47089022nd May 2009 12:25 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Spoke too soon Rolling Eyes
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #47110922nd May 2009 6:43 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >