Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Dual Battery AUX 12v sockets -drivers side rear custom panel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
badgerade

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hmm I'm just using the fuses that came with my Traxide kit, easy enough to swap out though when I change things around a bit..

What rating fuse would be suggested for the 300w inverter I'm planning on running? I believe it already has it's own onbard 40a fuse so should I just stick with that Confused

Post #8306461st Sep 2011 2:09 pm
discoBizz

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I did not plug the inverter in a socket, for this reason exactly.

Mine's got a 40A maxi fuse holder inline with it's power source, which in turn comes from a 40A switching relay. The relay is either on or off depending on the small current it gets from the switch next to the mains socket I have (see pick on page 4 on the topic).

Let me find a pic...

Here: this is the wiring before it went in the car...
Click image to enlarge

Detail of the relay which I attached to the inverter...
Click image to enlarge

This is where the fuse holder for it lives in the other side...
Click image to enlarge

and in place...
Click image to enlarge

If you plug the inverter in a socket, it will be limited to the 20A rating of both the socket and the 10-15A of the switch. Depending on the loads you plug into the mains, this could mean constant blow-ups of the socket fuse.

For example however, a Vaio laptop charger draws 19.5V at 4.7A = 92W or 7.6A at 12V so you should be fine with that. At peak running of 300W, you'd be drawing 25A at 12V and even higher at peak momentary power (most 300W inverters have a peak power output of 600W I am led to believe). This could then take you up to 50A at 12V but rarely happens I am told... I stand to be corrected of course as I am not an engineer Embarassed To date I have ran 3 Vaios concurrently with no issues or fuses blown with my setup.

Hope this helps?
 ==> Guide - Inexpensive AV Modification
==> Guide - Extend the multimedia of your Discovery III (September 2011, v1.2 uploaded)  
Post #8306701st Sep 2011 2:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
drivesafe

Australia 

badgerade wrote:
What rating fuse would be suggested for the 300w inverter I'm planning on running?

Hi badgerade, if you have the SC80-LR with the TPSE kit, then the main twin cable running to the back has a continuous current rate of 65 amps but the thinner twin cable going to each power socket are only rated at 25 amps ( continuous ).

If you want to run thicker cable to power your inverter separately then it would be easy to junction a new cable at the twin screw block and then you would also have a lot less voltage drop.

The kit comes with a 30 amp auto resetting circuit breaker in the box on the other end of the cable running to the rear ( at the auxiliary battery ). If you find the inverter is pulling enough current to cause this circuit breaker to trip, you can easily replace the 30 amp circuit breaker with a 40 amp one, but for safety precautions, don’t go any higher.

I would be very surprised if your inverter tripped the 30 amp circuit breaker so just see how it goes with the existing set up.
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #8307731st Sep 2011 8:25 pm
badgerade

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

discoBizz wrote:

Hope this helps?

Yep loads!

@ drivesafe - thanks for the reply! Just had a weeks camping and the traxide worked brilliantly.

Post #8308041st Sep 2011 9:19 pm
v40mav

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

discoBizz wrote:
20A may be a little excessive for accessory sockets IMHO, 10A or max 15A fuses should be plenty for any accessory powered through the socket. (different story for stuff you power directly from the fuse though).

Switches look the same but for my setup I got them from here and they are rated at 15A... If in doubt, just use a switching relay Thumbs Up

guys - I'm finally getting round to installing a similar set up - One question that springs to mind ( and I'm not an electrician ) - is it okay to switch 12v Aux sockets via the fuses - or should these be switched via a relay -

I do not expect to have high wattage items powered from these but want to do the set up correct and not have to mess around later -
 TDV6 HSE - Silver
Defender 110 County
Freelander 2 HSE

www.lothian4x4response.org 

Post #85351331st Oct 2011 2:00 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

badgerade wrote:
drivesafe - thanks for the reply! Just had a weeks camping and the traxide worked brilliantly.

Hi badgerade, good to hear, I like happy customers.

v40mav wrote:
One question that springs to mind ( and I'm not an electrician ) - is it okay to switch 12v Aux sockets via the fuses - or should these be switched via a relay -

Hi v40mav, I’m not quite sure what you mean by “Switch via the fuse or switch via a relay”?
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #85352431st Oct 2011 2:32 pm
discoBizz

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

If you mean +ve from fuse to switch then to socket, then assuming your switch is rated at or above your fuse rating then I would imagine you're ok... For example my switches are rated at 15A which is also the fuse I am using for my socket, so never had any issues there...

If on the other hand the switch is rated below the amps of your fuse, then you should use a relay to power the sockets. I can't see this being frequent though as the sockets themselves also have a max rating I think...

Not an electrician either so I stand to be corrected...
 ==> Guide - Inexpensive AV Modification
==> Guide - Extend the multimedia of your Discovery III (September 2011, v1.2 uploaded)  
Post #8538811st Nov 2011 2:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
v40mav

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

That's what I should have said a bit clearer -

I do not intend to load the Aux with high wattage items but I was always advised to have these switched via a relay

cheers
 TDV6 HSE - Silver
Defender 110 County
Freelander 2 HSE

www.lothian4x4response.org 

Post #8539511st Nov 2011 5:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >