ENGINE SYSTEM FAULT
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Re: Engine fault

Dave Jackson wrote:
alot of fellow D3 Owners are also having.
Some fellow D3 Owners would be more accurate

Dave Jackson wrote:
I have read on this site that there is to be a [ recall ] but LR will not say its a recall, the previous posting stated that a new complete computer software package is to be installed from this JUNE.
Because it's not a recall, it's an update to ensure all D3s are running the latest versions of software. D3s won't stop running if they don't have it done

Land Rover seem to me to be addressing most issues well, Customer Support is where they need to concentrate their efforts now

Got my anti-doom and gloom head on....

Si
 The End  
Post #6131431st May 2006 6:24 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 
Re: On going problem!!!

leigh wrote:
Rosleigh advised me to contact LR customer care and they would accelerate the delivery of a new tank to Rossleigh

This is another case of utterly crap dealer service. Why the hell should a customer have to chase LR customer care on behalf of the dealer?

If it were me I would have taken my cap gun down there and started stinging a few ar$es with it........and they would have learnt a few 'new' expletives Evil or Very Mad
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #6131831st May 2006 7:10 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Agree with Slimer, the 'recall' is not that, it's a 'customer reassurance program(me)' disco3'ers have picked up on 'recall' purely from a thread title
It's very easy for the minority with problems - although significant problems when you balance them against the level of investment in disco 3's to magnify seemingly minor issues, as far as i'm aware, there have been relatively few issues that have prevented the vehicle been driven, the rest have mainly been cured temporarliy with a reboot followed up by dealer intervention. yer, it's a pain in the @rse, but to be honest, I would rather the issue is solved with a simple software download than a major mechanical change, as would have been the case previously. after all - we all know it's never the same once the dealers have taken something apart and put it back together again Wink

Post #6134231st May 2006 8:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jpi3418

Australia 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Engine System Management Fault

I have had this error occuring 5 times, since I bought my D3 in April 06, the first the day after I picked it up! On each occassion the warning would flash, and then disappear, but I had the impression that engine power had been reduced. Then when I switched the engine off and back on again, everything would be OK again. I returned the car to the dealer who diagnosed and replaced a faulty airflow sensor, which seemed to fix the problem, but I felt the car had considerable turbo lag, made all the more noticeable after the RR Sport I had driven as a loan car, which had the same TdV6 engine but seemed much quicker. Then two weeks ago I had the same fault again, followed the next day by a complete loss of engine power on the motorway, twice within 15 minutes. Like the other contributors to this forum I was forced to veer across multiple lanes of traffic, with no power, to the hard shoulder. Once the engine was switched off and back on again everything would be back to normal and we were off again. On these two occassions there were no errors displayed on the info screen. I returned the car to my dealer who could find no faults, but uploaded a new software patch to the ECU which he said would reduce the turbo lag I had been noticing, and hopefully fix the problem that caused the power loss. I expect that the fault must must be electrical rather than mechanical as "rebooting" the engine seemed to fix it. Now my economy has gone from 11 litres/100 kms to 16 litres/100 kms, so something still isn't right. I'm wondering whether I might be experiencing the turbo failure described by others here? It seems strange that a mechanical fault could be fixed by an engine reboot. However, if this is the case then I will ask my dealer to replace the turbo. Is there any info from LR that would back this up? I'm very nervous about attempting any long trips now, which is a shame as I bought the D3 to go into the Australian outback, and am wondering whether a Landcruiser might have been the better option...
 2005 D3 TdV6 HSE Buckingham Blue
2010 D4 3.0 TdV6 SE Stornoway Grey
2014 D4.5 SDV6 HSE Nara Bronze 

Post #613881st Jun 2006 7:12 am
SN

I understand the turbo is a failsafe unit - if there's any sensor measurement that is slightly off, the turbo gets shut down - sounds like yours is shut down a lot. Don't give up on it - eventually they SHOULD get you a new turbo - that was what I was told would happen as a last resort if the airflow sensor swap and software upgrades didn't cure it
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #614071st Jun 2006 10:05 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
R11prt

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4
Re: Engine System Management Fault

Just collected my D3 from the dealer, having had a new turbo fitted, car experienced exactly the same power failure that a lot of members have mentioned. Fuel consumption is reduced too (now 23.9 as opposed to 21 ish) my advise would be to demand that a new turbo should be fitted as having also experience failure on the motorway at slightly above the national speed limit, it's a terrifying experience!

Post #614431st Jun 2006 12:49 pm
leigh

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I've now been without my D3 for 16 days Sad . How long does it take to fix a car? Banging Head

I'm now frustrated at the level of competance from the dealership where my car is at. Rossleigh Stockton.

I phoned them today (as they didn't have the courtesy to contact me daily as requested) and was told that there best engineer Rolling Eyes was working on the car all day together with an LR engineer over a mobile. He was carrying out tests on the wiring loom.

I'm supposed to be touring France in 5 weeks time, towing a caravan with the family. My confidance is not high even if they fix the fault.

Any suggestions to the following would be a great advantage.

1. How long is a reasonable amount of time to wait until a fault is resolved?
2. Has anybody experiance in obtaining a new replacement vehicle after a fault could not be rectified after a reasonable amount of time?
3. Has anybody filed a sussessful claim for funds to cover finance payments?

I'm planning on escalating this ongoing issue soon so any sensible advice would be benificial.

Leigh
 Standing on the shoulders of Giants.

Java Black HSE, Side steps, privicy glass, tow bar and roof bars. 

Post #615281st Jun 2006 6:38 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Leigh

I take it they given you a replacement vehicle?
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #615351st Jun 2006 6:55 pm
leigh

No, not yet, I'm pondering just how long to wait until I start asking for one.

Post #615371st Jun 2006 6:57 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

WHAT ! Shocked
Post #615411st Jun 2006 7:05 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Hang on a minute...lets back peddle a bit here ....

Did you buy this vehicle from Rossleigh's ...New?
Post #615421st Jun 2006 7:07 pm
leigh

I have been given a courtesy car, if thats what you mean.

A merc e220, not bad but its not my disco.

Post #615431st Jun 2006 7:08 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Hang on hang on ....I mean have they given you a loan car? While yours is being fixed?
Post #615441st Jun 2006 7:09 pm
leigh

Quote:
I have been given a courtesy car, if thats what you mean.

A merc e220, not bad but its not my disco.

I bought the car new from Ripon, Landrover Assistance recovered the car from a motor way to Rossleigh.

Post #615451st Jun 2006 7:16 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Right...ok...you are at least mobile for now. Got it Wink

The issue here is what is reasonable - and both parties will have a differing opinion on that subject.

There are some members on this site who have gone through the process of obtaining a permanent replacement vehicle and would be far more qualified than me to offer advice ...but here's some from me anyway:

1.Which? suggest that reasonable in relation to vehicles is about 28 days. This period could be longer however if the dealer has attributed additional 'reasonableness' to the situation, i.e. providing an identicle vehcle as a loaner without conditions and has maintained exceptional communications throughout.

2. Faults have to be shown as repetative, unrepairable or multiple consequetive before the dealer will entertain talking about replacement. Again the dealer has to be given a reasonable period in which to show that faults can be rectified. The timescale for it to become unreasonable is debateable but certainly within 6 month of purchase.

3. If they have provided you with an adequate replacement vehicle then they may reject your claim over finance.... can I recommend you read the small print for further assistance here.

You are fully justified in being agrieved at the way you have been treated thius far - one hopes that the motor will be back on the road very soon, but try to channel your anger towards the dealer, get writing some appropriate letters and take further advice.

When the D3 is eventually fixed you will hopefully begin to enjoy it as much as me and many others on the site. Good Luck Wink
Post #615471st Jun 2006 7:36 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >