Webasto heater..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Re: Webasto Heater

KenD wrote:
If you use the Radio Trick, do you have to leave the ignition key in, as my radio switches off when I remove it?

Remove the key, THEN switch on the radio. It will stay on for about an hour with the key out.

Post #2780813th Nov 2005 10:34 pm
MG
D3 Decade 

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Thanks chaps, will try this tomorrow.....does the ambient have to be below a set temperature for it to kick in?
 MG

HSE V6 Diesel
Buckingham Blue
Ebony Leather
Side Steps
Mini Fridge
Rosen A7 Roof-mount DVD player
Parrot 3100 Bluetooth
Removable Towbar and Elecs
Pure Highway DAB
Portable Fridge 

Post #2790514th Nov 2005 2:51 pm
BN

England 

Greeny wrote:
Thanks chaps, will try this tomorrow.....does the ambient have to be below a set temperature for it to kick in?
Around 4C  
Post #2790714th Nov 2005 2:53 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

BN wrote:
Greeny wrote:
Around 4C
Think it's 8 degrees C for the FBH, 4 degrees C is the frost warning threshold  
Post #2790914th Nov 2005 3:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Kevin

United Kingdom 
Fuel Burning Heater

My FBH decided that it was cold enough down here on the south coast tonight for it to spring into life. This is only the second time that I have seen it work. The first time was the day I took delivery on 01 March. Since then it has been too warm in sunny Dorset.

Now that I have the settings menu, I decided to try the Radio Trick and to my surprise it worked.

Interestingly on my "aftermarket fit" of the settings menu I can only access the menu if I have the radio turned on. Is this ususal or just my car? I do have a base 7 seater with the bog standard base radio and the settings menu is not standard on this model.

The good thing is that the heater came on. I left it running for half an hour and I noticed the following sequence of events.

Heater started whitin 15 seconds of set time - fans low speed air directed towards windscreen.

After 5 minutes air stream changed to face level vents.

After 10 minutes fan speed increased.

Continued to run for over 35 minutes until I turned the ignition key at which point it stopped.

Once the unit was running I could turn the radio on or off and this had no
effect.

I was surprised at the amount of heat generated I could hardly keep my hand over the vent after about 10 minutes. And the speed with which the system began to give out heat.

Clearly if we can get the system to work it will be very good indeed.

Now we know that keeping the radio on kepps the bus live and the system then works. If we could build a "watchdog timer" into the radio on off control to kick it into the on mode every hour then we should be able to keep the data bus live and get the system to work.

I will check tomorow (if it is cold enough) how long the system keeps running before stopping.

Unfortunately at present the FBH is working better than some of the other bits of my car and I can see that I need to visit my dealer again.
 Kevin

BAS TUNE

Faultmate MSV-2 MULTI VEHICLE 

Post #2802414th Nov 2005 11:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 
FBH Notes

Now that you will all be finding just how good the FBH is, there are a few points to know:

1 The heater is designed for a small motorhome or cabin cruiser, so it will be very good and five minutes will be far better than the normal car heater on its own

2 When the heater starts it will take around 45 seconds to fire up as it runs to ensure fuel is in its sytem then it fires its igniters, this is possibly followed by a bit of smoke from the front N/S and a roaring noise. If you look under the car the exhaust points towards the centre front under the intercooler (rad). You will also smell burnt diesel the same as a oil based central heating system

3 Once run it is very hot to touch, so keep away and you will find a big area of frost removed from the front N/S of the bonnet more than likely

4 When running it takes control of the cars heater system as if the engine is running, that is if you do the radio trick

6 The FBH also warms up the engine coolant so if it would work on the preset you would start with fully warmed engine water. This means less drain on the battery when starting in very cold weather

7 Clearly using the car with the FBH will reduce your MPG as it also uses diesel from your fuel tank, so expect slightly higher fuel consumption in cold weather, not good for the auto guys.

8 When the car is switched off after a run and the heater may be still be running, it will run on for about 1 minute to purge its system, so you may hear a little rumbling under the bonnet on the front N/S and see smoke or smell oil burning, thats normal.

Hope it helps.

Post #2803815th Nov 2005 8:38 am
MG
D3 Decade 

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Tried my FBH several times this morning but to no avail!

I set the timer for 30 minutes to come on at 8am. I removed the keys from ignition and turned on radio. 8 am came and went without the FBH starting up. Temperature around here was a very frosty -2 degrees C.

I have tried it another 4 times doing variations on whether to turn on radio and then remove key etc, etc......

Any suggestions would be warmly (!! Shocked ) received!!!
 MG

HSE V6 Diesel
Buckingham Blue
Ebony Leather
Side Steps
Mini Fridge
Rosen A7 Roof-mount DVD player
Parrot 3100 Bluetooth
Removable Towbar and Elecs
Pure Highway DAB
Portable Fridge 

Post #2830217th Nov 2005 10:37 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I wouldn't get too frustrated over it being a pain to trick into operation... it'll never work as you want it to with the timer.

The radio trick works on some cars but not others.

Only sure fire way of it working is in its own temperature controlled automatic way. Personally this is fine, by the time I'm around a mile up the road the engine is warming up well and the car is blowing hot air into the cab.

This is far faster than any car I have owned previously so a big bonus.

Post #2830617th Nov 2005 10:47 am
BN

England 

BE WARNED

I have done a lot of research with the makers of the FBH. They have also together with me invested a great deal of time on this issue and I have spent days at their factory working with them.

IF YOU USE THE RADIO TRICK YOU COULD CAUSE PROBLEMS. This is because the Webasto has to purge itself both BEFORE and AFTER use, if not it will set up its own internal error in its own sophisticated software as in mine when testing and LR CANNOT release the error, only Webasto can and they cannot do it as LR will not let them under warranty.

We could get the heater to work, but research has to be done, I have reported this fully on the forum. There is a fix in Finland, but it has proven to be incorrect, so recalls may have to take place.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Post #2832517th Nov 2005 2:21 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

BN wrote:
[snip]so recalls may have to take place.[/snip]

would be nice to think that this would be at LR's expense to acheive full operational of the FBH, but I'm certainly interested as to how this will develop. One thing's for sure - we'll know about it here before the dealers do! Thanks for your perseverence and persistence, Brian!

lex
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #2832817th Nov 2005 2:36 pm
BN

England 

DrLex wrote:
BN wrote:
[snip]so recalls may have to take place.[/snip]

would be nice to think that this would be at LR's expense to acheive full operational of the FBH, but I'm certainly interested as to how this will develop. One thing's for sure - we'll know about it here before the dealers do! Thanks for your perseverence and persistence, Brian!

lex

DrLex, this must be one of the most frustrating projects I have ever worked on. It is rediculous when the manufacturer of the heater cannot access their own software in their own heater, because the client (LR) decided that in order to purchase the units, they would have the final say in the final connection with their own codes.

Bottom line is that they clearly didn't want even the manufacturer to produce an after market add on for some reason, that is why I suggest that you guys leave well alone at the moment. The whole world of Webasto is working on this now, from USA, Finland, UK, Sweden etc etc.

Post #2833817th Nov 2005 4:39 pm
scorpio

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

BN wrote:
DrLex, this must be one of the most frustrating projects I have ever worked on. It is rediculous when the manufacturer of the heater cannot access their own software in their own heater, because the client (LR) decided that in order to purchase the units, they would have the final say in the final connection with their own codes.

Bottom line is that they clearly didn't want even the manufacturer to produce an after market add on for some reason, that is why I suggest that you guys leave well alone at the moment. The whole world of Webasto is working on this now, from USA, Finland, UK, Sweden etc etc.

Maybe LR will produce there own add on at a LR extorniate price or am I being cynical Shocked

Post #2833917th Nov 2005 4:45 pm
BN

England 

scorpio wrote:
BN wrote:

Maybe LR will produce there own add on at a LR extorniate price or am I being cynical Shocked

Absolutely not a chance, because in 2009, they have written into the production plan a pre-heater that works like the RR for the D3.

Post #2834617th Nov 2005 5:33 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >