DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Webasto heater..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
OffRoader

Finland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Question to Arsi

Arsi,

how much did they charge you to get the Webasto pre heater installed ? Do you know if the instructions were made by LR factory or by Inchape Ltd(local importer) ?

Is your recommendation to install Defa's electrical systems only or Webasto preheater only/also ?

Offroader
 -- too many modifications made to my Disco 3 to be listed in here --  
Post #258071st Nov 2005 9:13 pm
BN

England 
Re: Question to Arsi

OffRoader wrote:
Arsi,

how much did they charge you to get the Webasto pre heater installed ? Do you know if the instructions were made by LR factory or by Inchape Ltd(local importer) ?

Is your recommendation to install Defa's electrical systems only or Webasto preheater only/also ?

Offroader

There are NO instructions or fitments by Land Rover for Webasto as I am working on them now with Webasto and their man in the Land Rover factory. Any other fix is a non authorised system and will invalidate warranty.

Post #258101st Nov 2005 9:17 pm
arsi

Finland 2005 LR3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

Collected my Disco from dealer today. First thing to pop in my eye was the Webasto timer:

It does work! When you press the instant heat button the heater starts and also aircon starts to blow air inside. Also timer operations seems to work.

I did look under the hood and I do not remember to seen the thing that looks like a water pump before.

There are some drawbacks of the current system:
- If you put instant heat on or program the timer so that it starts the heater instantly, the heater will be shut down when the car goes in sleep mode.
- As this is a new CAN-bus timer, there is no remote to it yet.

I guess that for the latter one there will be a solution.

Now wheter this timer is official Land Rover or Webasto or just local importer development, I do not have an answer. I did see that dealer had good installation descriptions with LR3 pictures. And I also received printed instructions with LR3 specific addendum.

Post #259802nd Nov 2005 4:37 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

arsi wrote:
Collected my Disco from dealer today. First thing to pop in my eye was the Webasto timer:

It does work! When you press the instant heat button the heater starts and also aircon starts to blow air inside. Also timer operations seems to work.

Does it work with the ignition off and the key removed?

Post #259842nd Nov 2005 4:58 pm
arsi

Yes. I programmed the timer, locked the doors and after the set time it started.

Post #259852nd Nov 2005 5:11 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

What delay? I am having difficulty matching that with the comment about the bus activity shutting the thing down again......

Post #259862nd Nov 2005 5:15 pm
BN

England 

arsi wrote:
Yes. I programmed the timer, locked the doors and after the set time it started.

Set it for say 4 hours after parking the car, see if it comes on then?

Post #259872nd Nov 2005 5:15 pm
arsi

I don't know if this is just a random coincidence or does the timer actually work. Yesterday evening I programmed the timer to start heating 7:30 am. Locked the doors and left the car for its own. In the morning I woke up, made some breakfast for the kids, went to bedroom to open up the window. I did not remeber the timer at all until I heard the sound of the burner from open window and noticed some smoke coming from bottom left corner.

Well, the outside temperature was about 8C and there was no need for the heater but I needed to test it.

The TT-V model is much quieter than previous models or then the LR just have succeeded to soundproof it well.

But it works.

Post #260923rd Nov 2005 7:28 am
Coffeecup

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

arsi wrote:
But it works.
That's excellent news. Now all we need is the information behind it and we can see about getting it over here (and fitted to our D3s that have the pre-heater but non working timers). 
Coffeecup

Tonga Green March 2005 TDV6 S - Tonga Green - Manual
Stornoway Grey May 2008 TDV6 SE - Stornoway Grey - Auto
Tonga Green Dec 2010 SDV6 XS - Galway Green - Auto 

Post #260963rd Nov 2005 8:33 am
Coffeecup

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

BN wrote:
DiscoDuck wrote:
Looking forward to sorting mine out too before the weather gets too cold!

It is possible to make it work now, with a manual setting system, similar to the one in the car, but we are trying for a remote system.

Is the manual version (timer) available in the UK BN now. I want the functionality of the pre-heater far more than a remote control to turn it on.

Coffeecup

Tonga Green March 2005 TDV6 S - Tonga Green - Manual
Stornoway Grey May 2008 TDV6 SE - Stornoway Grey - Auto
Tonga Green Dec 2010 SDV6 XS - Galway Green - Auto 

Post #260983rd Nov 2005 8:38 am
arsi

The timer itself is standard Webasto 1533 but the hard thing is the connectiong wiring to the CAN-bus system. I believe that my system is not orthodox as what comes to correct CAN messaging with other car control modules. It just is able to send activation message to the heater and I believe there is a separate relay to put the fan on for internal heating. The wiring loom is called C-kit and is available from Webasto. The instructions for installing into D3 is made by local Webasto importer.

Post #261003rd Nov 2005 8:46 am
BN

England 

arsi wrote:
The timer itself is standard Webasto 1533 but the hard thing is the connectiong wiring to the CAN-bus system. I believe that my system is not orthodox as what comes to correct CAN messaging with other car control modules. It just is able to send activation message to the heater and I believe there is a separate relay to put the fan on for internal heating. The wiring loom is called C-kit and is available from Webasto. The instructions for installing into D3 is made by local Webasto importer.

C Kit is the wiring loom for VW made by Webasto, the one that was made for me was new design specially for the D3. It appears they have adapted a system for yours. Having said that Webasto in Norway have made more inroads into after market upgrades than most countries.

What I would like to know is whether your car will fire up the heater after say a 12 hour park up. Then without going to the car or waking it up whether the timer will get the heater going. Can you try that please, but do not go to the car in anyway to wake it up, very important.

Post #261283rd Nov 2005 3:35 pm
arsi

I will try that on weekend.

Last night it was sitting and waiting about 10 hours and it fired up after that and shutted down after 30mins. On other trials I did notice that if I unlock and open the doors while the heater is running it will be shut down. Also if I turn the instant heating while sitting in the car it will shut down when car goes into sleep mode.

So this is not perfect system. Next thing I need to do is to try whether the instant heat button could be hardwired to a relay controlled by a built-in GSM device. That way I could activate the heating by sending a text message (or by calling) to the car.

Post #261453rd Nov 2005 5:15 pm
DiscoDuck

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

I understand the UK solution was not going to rely on the cars canbus but via Webasto’s “W Bus” from the proposed controller direct to the heater with the fans being activated with a second feed from the Webasto controller. The above will have diodes and relays to prevent back feeds and handle the switchover. It will not mater what the status of the Canbus is.

The Swedish solution sounds like it is trying to talk to the cars Canbus.
 D4 HSE
Blue 

Post #263885th Nov 2005 7:22 am
Winger
Site Moderator 

DiscoDuck wrote:
The Swedish solution sounds like it is trying to talk to the cars Canbus.

I think you might have started a diplomatic incident..... Wink

Post #263945th Nov 2005 9:40 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >