D4 2014 XS Commercial - Gone Sad
D4 2016 hse lux montalcino red - Gone
D3 2005 se java black - current
D3 2005 base manual - gone Sad
D2 1999 TD5 E white - current 

Post #178361725th Feb 2017 5:10 pm
Oxford-boy

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

How can a misfuelling system not work when all that has happened is the petrol pump nozzle has been inserted and triggered?

Pretty crappy system if it is just ad hoc when it works and when it doesn't..

Lesson learned the hard way for the original poster.

As a reminder, if you self fill the Adblu, make sure you leave a decent amount of air/gap at the top as it needs that to function (so the LandRover Assist guy told me...).

Thumbs Up

Post #178368525th Feb 2017 7:23 pm
Glassman
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Thanks for all the replies guys, it's a situation that if I say too much I don't think my brother in law will listen to me anyway, I just got really concerned that my sister didn't seem to realise how serious this type of error can be and I think the world of her so I'm genuinely worried that they still might face a very large bill which will hit them so hard.
I've owned my D3 for over 11 years and he's never shown any interest in it or the fact that I've built a reasonable owners knowledge of this vehicle over the years. It turns out the AA guy has logged this as some sort of low fuel issue instead of what it really was as LR would charge a fortune if they found out... Shocked Just seems like awful advice if they intend to keep it long term and makes me wonder if this is common practice of breakdown companies? I keep reading posts on here regarding engine and turbo failures and wonder how many are down to situations like this.
Sort of makes you think, I'm buying this year old car with my hard earned savings, but it has a full service history, main dealership, low miles etc .....then bang!..how the heck would you ever know it's true history?

Post #178377125th Feb 2017 9:47 pm
Robert SausageTrousers

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 4

I did this with my 2.5TDI Touareg, filled it to the brim from empty with petrol, only got about 1m from the petrol station before it conked out and wouldn't start, my recovery company sent someone out who towed me to their unit, they drained the petrol and put £40 of diesel in, off I drove.

That was over 3 years and 60k miles ago, never had an issue with it since, my wife still uses it daily.

Post #178388126th Feb 2017 8:44 am
eightfoot

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

did you not recently post up with a failed cam chain on you toureg (could be thinking of someone else though) did you have a crank fail on a d4 ?
 please excuse any grammer/punctuation mistakes,i'm thick,thankyou
current vehicles 2005 d3 2013 d4 

Post #178393626th Feb 2017 10:33 am
Robert SausageTrousers

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 4

Sorry, I should have said 'never had an issue related to the miss-fuel since' - I did 60k trouble free miles in it after the miss-fuel, the only issue i've had with the car in my ownership is the camshaft going which is a common fault with the VW 2.5TDI engine, as far as I know the fault was nothing to do with having run on petrol for a mile 3 years and 60k previously.

EDIT - and yep, I had the crankshaft failure on my D4 Laughing

Post #178407626th Feb 2017 4:00 pm
daftlad

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Glassman wrote:
Thanks for all the replies guys, it's a situation that if I say too much I don't think my brother in law will listen to me anyway, I just got really concerned that my sister didn't seem to realise how serious this type of error can be and I think the world of her so I'm genuinely worried that they still might face a very large bill which will hit them so hard.
I've owned my D3 for over 11 years and he's never shown any interest in it or the fact that I've built a reasonable owners knowledge of this vehicle over the years. It turns out the AA guy has logged this as some sort of low fuel issue instead of what it really was as LR would charge a fortune if they found out... Shocked Just seems like awful advice if they intend to keep it long term and makes me wonder if this is common practice of breakdown companies? I keep reading posts on here regarding engine and turbo failures and wonder how many are down to situations like this.
Sort of makes you think, I'm buying this year old car with my hard earned savings, but it has a full service history, main dealership, low miles etc .....then bang!..how the heck would you ever know it's true history?

My wife did this last month but realised and didn't start it
Green flag recovered and drained refueled and off she went ,I put half a tank and 300mls of 2 stroke oil just to help if any got left in as I could clearly smell the petrol when removing the fuel cap
I changed the fuel filter a few days later but couldn't smell petrol in it
There's no way the AA man will get away with miss reporting the issue it will be evident when the techies get there nose around it trust me
I would be running 2 stroke in it for a while if it can be done on a D4 just to lube the pumps if it's not to late
Hope it's not mate
I've done it in the old 300 TDI years ago but brimmed it and just drove it never flackered

Post #178428026th Feb 2017 9:40 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >