Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

What did you do in your Disco3 today?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 259 <123 ... 678 ... 257258259>
adam

United Kingdom 

Also been to John O Groats - from Dundee in a Cavalier - and no, it looks nothing on the map, but with a 7 month pregnant wife - very different story...........
 Now Golf GTI PP, 7 speed DSG.
Ex D3 and D4 

Post #4712112th Mar 2006 6:53 pm
SN

Didn't get back to Goyt Valley today - only as far as Glossop and Charlesworth - after listening to Gareth's advice about HDC & Low Range - actually used the pair of them with Snow Mode for the first time...

...to get off my mum's drive in Glossop Embarassed
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #4714412th Mar 2006 9:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dave

United Kingdom 
What did you do in your Disco3 today

Had to drive from London to Aldershot to pick up some equipment for work today, could have used a company vehicle but as my disco IS only a week and a half old!

Knowing that there is a good little track on a training area in Aldershot I thought Id take my new motor and get it dirty.

I drove the undulating route for about half a mile in Mud ruts TR and immediately thought, Censored my car is ****. Really mechanical noises each time I went downhill. Finally realised the green light light I wasnt paying attention to meant I tapped HDC by mistake when selecting TR.....Mong! Embarassed not that its a problem, I just couldnt figure the noise of the brakes at the time though

Turned it off as it wasnt reqd and it was as composed as if on road, mega ride and control and so much clearence. Thought my Freelander was good even though it has sceptics but this is awesome.

I should graduate to some "real" off roading as it is such fun!

Post #4796816th Mar 2006 12:16 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

You probably didn't tap it, HDC comes on automatically in most TR modes. I normally turn it straight off again

Post #4797316th Mar 2006 12:24 am
Dave

United Kingdom 

Good to know Slimer, I never used it in the freelander either, although I am sure it does have its use on real inclines or mud, but from now on remains turned off till the going gets tough.

Cheers

Post #4797716th Mar 2006 12:35 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

HDC really comes into its own on snow and ice, it is awesome. By using the cruise control buttons to control the speed you can even stop on a steep icy slope. Unlike Jaguar X-Type (fake)4x4's. See my Goyt Valley pics

Wink

Post #4798116th Mar 2006 12:41 am
espri

Austria 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
Parked

I was late into work this morning, so that the company car-park was full. Full, that is, with other cars but with a few spaces unused because they were still filled with piles of snow. So I raised the suspension and selected low ratio and drove up onto one of those piles. Very handy! Smile

I wouldn't have tried that in a Mini (maybe in my VW T4 syncro Caravelle but I wouldn't have been quite so confident of getting up).

Eric

Post #4955823rd Mar 2006 11:21 am
SN

Drove it from Stockport to Westminster this morning - 200 odd miles of effortless motoring - despite the M6, M42 and M40's best efforts to upset me with their jams! Now parked up outside The City Inn, Westminster - in amongst the Chelsea Tractors (RR/RRS's) - looks great! Would have looked better I guess if I'd got it all muddied up!
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #5275610th Apr 2006 11:08 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
espri

Austria 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Today I tried towing with the Disco for the first time. The last time I towed anything was a caravan behind an ancient LR about 1970. This time I pulled a friend's yacht to the Chiemsee.

The car performed immaculately - apart from dropping the tow-ball on my finger as I took it off again Embarassed

Eric

Post #5284010th Apr 2006 10:24 pm
nwoods

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

I bought my LR3 two weeks ago. Since then, I've done the following:

My family and I are enjoying this car immensely.

Post #5286611th Apr 2006 2:35 am
SN

Fantastic pics nwoods - whats going on with your black wheels and mulitcoloured front grill? Confused Not seen anything like that before! Shocked
Post #5288011th Apr 2006 9:25 am
nwoods

qzdcg8 wrote:
Fantastic pics nwoods - whats going on with your black wheels and mulitcoloured front grill? Confused Not seen anything like that before! Shocked

A member of the Discoweb.org forum recently christened my ride as the "Storm Trooper LR3"

There has been a bit of custom paintwork done by my dealership. Mine was the first, since then they've created several others. The grill is painted metalic silver as you noted. The front bumpers, rocker panels, door handles licsense plate frame and rear bumper have been painted body color white. The wheels are 18" Range Rover Sport wheels that have been through a treatment called a "fusion process" from this company in California: http://www.calchrome.com/service_fusioncoat.php

My dealership has not done any other black wheels like this, the shiny aluminum ones seem to be more popular, but in SoCal, with all the desert off roading activities, black wheels are in vogue and lend a degree of off roading credibility to my rig.

After two weeks of off roading, I'm noticing small chips in the custom paintwork. I think I'm going to install a protective film like this: http://www.invisiblemask.com/site.html

The more interesting item about this LR3 is that it is one of 25 mistakenly ordered for the US market. It is a base model V6 with coil springs. They are not something we can order normally. They only ship over the LR3 SE and HSE in 5 or 7 seat V8 configs, and in 2007 model year, only 7 seaters will be shipped. I paid exactly half for this model (as a factory demo with just under 4,000 miles on it), then what the are charging for a new HSE V8 with the custom paintwork. I'm very pleased with it!

Post #5293511th Apr 2006 5:27 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Today, I really appreciated my Disco 3 Razz Had a job at Ludlow, (Simons manor). The drive from Stockport is M6, M54, then back roads to Ludlow.

The weather was OK when I left Bramhall, but I quickly ran into heavy rain as I travelled down the M6.

By the time I got to Telford, it was really coming down hard, and the back roads are not well drained and visibility was seriously poor.

It rained heavy all morning, and my return journey this afternoon was worse.

I have to say that driving the D3 in such bad conditions does give a sense security. Obviously speeds are reduced for everyone but the insane in such conditions, but the D3 is so composed on wet and muddy roads.

The imposing road presence also encourages motorists travelling towards you on a wet and flooded road to slow down, something they may not do when approaching a different vehicle.

Post #569968th May 2006 9:22 pm
nwoods

Trail running in Southern California

I went up to one of my favorite trails in my local area again. This time with another Disco III and a Range Rover Sport, and a fully equiped Disco II with all the off road components one could wish for.

Lots of steep climbs, off camber work, bouldering, and the like. So much fun!
Photo Gallery here: www.nextstepdesigns.com/images/LR3/cleghorn3/

Post #570048th May 2006 9:40 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Cool pics NW 8) ..I wish we had 'trails' like this in our back yard !
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #570098th May 2006 9:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 7 of 259 <123 ... 678 ... 257258259>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >