Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Discovery 5 - L462

Sat in a Disco 5 today
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 39 of 47 <123 ... 383940 ... 454647>
J77

Scotland 

I wouldn't call the loss of a split tailgate a disaster, an inconvenience perhaps but disaster, no, and the design of the back window, don't really see what problems that will cause, other than my dog has nowhere to rest her chin.

Don't forget the SVX version is still to come, which I assume will be available with a range of off road accessories, granted it doesn't help at the moment.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #177987017th Feb 2017 9:19 am
petersw

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

The loss of split tailgate is obviously a compromise.

Although many will undoubtedly mourn its passing it didn’t make for the easiest access to the further reaches of the boot & its demise saves weight, there’s a wet storage area beneath the boot floor and also a fold down seating bench that partly makes up for the loss of that split tailgate.
 Peter  
Post #177988717th Feb 2017 10:03 am
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

We may have to agree to disagree on the tailgate issue, but it's something that I use several times every day and wouldn't be without, so it's a deal breaker for me. Unfortunately, the electric plank is too small, too flimsy, too slow to operate and is of little use to me.

As for the reduction in the rear window size, both Ben (dog) and I really appreciate the great view out of the back and I struggle to understand the advantage for the end user is replacing glass with plastic. Sorry, "composite"!

I don't understand why LR had to take the final example of the most practical working car that they had and made it like all of the rest Confused

Post #178007017th Feb 2017 4:29 pm
petersw

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I will let you know how "Tommy" enjoys the new car in due course Very Happy

Peter  
Post #178007217th Feb 2017 4:35 pm
flydive

Switzerland 

Red Merle wrote:
As for the reduction in the rear window size, both Ben (dog) and I really appreciate the great view out of the back

Try to behave better in the future and you'll not be made to sit in the boot with Ben Wink Mr. Green

Post #178007317th Feb 2017 4:42 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

Laughing

Post #178009217th Feb 2017 5:22 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Red Merle wrote:

I don't understand why LR had to take the final example of the most practical working car that they had and made it like all of the rest Confused

LR describe themselves as makers of "premium and luxury SUVs". "Practical" and "working" aren't in their thoughts it seems. Well "practical" means "families with gadgets" friendly these days. Hopefully "working" will be covered by Defender's replacement. The problem is that lots of people seem to be pinning their hopes on " the All New Defender"...

The big question is: if the loss of split tailgate is a deal breaker, where will you go instead? Does anyone else make a comparable vehicle to the D4?
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #178011817th Feb 2017 6:33 pm
CraigP

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

WRT the electric plank. You can just pull it down manually. Don't have to press buttons.

Post #178017617th Feb 2017 8:20 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

RRSTDV8 wrote:

LR describe themselves as makers of "premium and luxury SUVs". "Practical" and "working" aren't in their thoughts it seems. Well "practical" means "families with gadgets" friendly these days. Hopefully "working" will be covered by Defender's replacement. The problem is that lots of people seem to be pinning their hopes on " the All New Defender"...

The big question is: if the loss of split tailgate is a deal breaker, where will you go instead? Does anyone else make a comparable vehicle to the D4?

Very interesting points that you raise there. Recently Land Rover said that their range would be split as follows:

Range Rover would become their luxury brand.

Discovery would become their leisure brand (which I take to mean is Jeremy and Samantha's way of transporting young Anthrax and Verruca to their pony club event in Esher).

The remaining "Defender" replacement would then form their "utility" range.

Unfortunately, they have yet to be able to come up with any meaningful differentiation between the first two ranges and they lost the utility market years ago. The only Land Rovers that I see being used for "utility" (I live in rural Cornwall) are either old Defenders or old Discoveries, with just a smattering of newer Disco's. Other than that, most of them use Japanese picks ups and/or quads. Not only will LR have left the Defender out of production for an entire change cycle, but they would be made to compete directly with the Japanese for a share of the market that they have entirely relinquished. Even our local dealer has opened an entire new dealership to sell their old customers into Isuzu's.

When the new Defender arrives, it could easily be yet another leisure vehicle, but with a veneer of added toughness; think Rover 25 Vs their "urban on roader", the Streetwise! Shocked

I can't think of anything that would pick up the mantle of the D4, but there will be plenty of good D4's around for many years yet; while that is still the case, I've no reason to buy anything else (finances allowing). They might even see me through until retirement in 12 (and-a-bit) years! Thumbs Up Very Happy

Post #178017917th Feb 2017 8:31 pm
fat bloke

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

The only way to improve the look of the rear is to put the Range Rovers rear on it? but then you would call it the the same as their is not much difference apart from price.

Post #178021317th Feb 2017 9:56 pm
JMack

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Red Merle wrote:
We may have to agree to disagree on the tailgate issue, but it's something that I use several times every day and wouldn't be without, so it's a deal breaker for me.

What did you use before a D3/4?

I found the split tailgate a problem at least twice today, but also a benefit once. Confused

Post #178022317th Feb 2017 10:12 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I use my split tail gate almost every day. Today I used it to load furniture.

The split tail gate for me has been one of the best features of the D3/4. The electro plank doesn't come close!

New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #178022917th Feb 2017 10:33 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

JMack wrote:
Red Merle wrote:
We may have to agree to disagree on the tailgate issue, but it's something that I use several times every day and wouldn't be without, so it's a deal breaker for me.

What did you use before a D3/4?

I found the split tailgate a problem at least twice today, but also a benefit once. Confused

3 Freelander 2's in a row. Great cars, I liked them a lot - so I could live without a drop down tailgate but, now that I've been spoiled something rotten, I have no wish to go back! Thumbs Up

I keep an alloy walking stick in the boot of the car; it costs but a few quid, it weights nothing and it will hook pretty much anything from the far end of the boot in a jiffy. It's pretty useful for walking too!

http://robsonsmobility.co.uk/product-categ...ing-sticks

Are there any other issues that anyone has with the lower tailgate?

Last edited by Red Merle on 17th Feb 2017 11:02 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #178023217th Feb 2017 10:42 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

Moo - my thoughts exactly! Thumbs Up

I've never seen anyone else use the tailgate as a tap top table before Very Happy

A good balcony for my work mate Ben too...

Click image to enlarge

Post #178023717th Feb 2017 10:48 pm
jimbg

United Kingdom 

Moo, what can you do on the drop down tail gate that you cannot do on the plank?

There is nothing in those photo's that I can see?

Post #178023817th Feb 2017 10:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 39 of 47 <123 ... 383940 ... 454647>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >