DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

School discipline
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Admirable wrote:
I must be missing something, why would a parent miss paying for their childrens lunches?

Maybe because they don't care that Barry Smith, who exerts a real energy into his signature, is threatening to physiologically abuse their child with abandon as a penalty for their failings. I'm struggling with all of it tbh Neutral
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #168606429th Jul 2016 11:03 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

never had any kids but this appears to be a club thing everybody pays....and those that don't need to be advised their letting everybody elsedown....but hey ho....NONE SO STRANGE AS FOLK

Post #168607529th Jul 2016 11:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Irwin

Mogwyth wrote:

Its a community free school and they charge £2.50 a day so the £75 is 1/2 a term which is paid in advance..

£75 / month for each child, 60 days per term, that right?

Can the kid not take a sandwich with him and sit with his friends? Are the kids not allowed outside during lunch?

Post #168608529th Jul 2016 11:57 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

if we are giving them a roast dinner every day no wonder we have fat kids

Post #168608730th Jul 2016 12:06 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Sanction the parents but not the kid. Its hardly their fault that their parents haven't paid.

My daughter was 'punished' at school by her new teacher for being late. When I found out I asked the teacher why it was her fault that she was late when I take her to school. She has no option other than to be taken in by me. If I'm late or their is a hold up in the lanes, there is nothing she can do or be responsible for.

I made it quite clear that he should not be punishing children for their parents errors.

with regards to the £75.00 charge, If you want to see a ripoff, then my daughters school charge £7.00 per day for tea. Its a compulsary charge so its irrelevant if take or not. Its one of those clever marketing tricks that helps hide the real costs, but presents the fees more favourably. Evil or Very Mad
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #168609130th Jul 2016 12:56 am
Riccardo

Portugal 

I find bad to punish the children for the parents not paying but even worst for the parents not to pay having had the time to do it forcing somebody to write letters etc.

Quote:
My daughter was 'punished' at school by her new teacher for being late. When I found out I asked the teacher why it was her fault that she was late when I take her to school. She has no option other than to be taken in by me. If I'm late or their is a hold up in the lanes, there is nothing she can do or be responsible for.

For this I disagree
The children are going to school to learn also behaviours and the value of certain things.
Whilst she might not be the one actually driving the car (as much as I was not driving the train when I was working in London) ultimately it is her responsibility to be at school in time even if she has to rely on others
She needs to understand it is wrong to be late and next time she will be pushing the parents to leave earlier (or maybe she will catch an earlier train when older)

I would not punish her for the first time she is late (do not know if this was the case) but I think it is reasonable. In life we are all hold accountable for things that are not only done or controlled by us.
Arriving late damages also the others in the class
 It takes all sorts (to make a world).

D3 HSE LHD gone but not forgotten 

Post #168613030th Jul 2016 8:42 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Sorry, but fundementaly disagree. If a child is ready to go to school, how can it be their fault if the parent makes them late? Speak to the parenet but don't punish the child.

My kids are at school for 8am and finish at 5.20pm. If they have clubs then it could be 7pm before they are picked up after which they typically have at least two hours of prep. They also are required to turn out for matches on a staurday.

Trust me, my kids know what is right and wrong and what behavoiur of is expected of them. If they are ready and waiting and I get them to school late, then it is not their fault and so they should not be punished.

Irrespective of schools etc, if the parent fails for whatever reason, the child should not be punished for the parents error.

Patently the parent failed to pay for school meals, how is that the childs fault? The response from the school is pretty poor to be honest and would make me question their values. Deal with the issue but don't threaten the child.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #168614230th Jul 2016 8:57 am
HughMartin

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

If it is your fault your child was late for school, shouldn't you send a note in with the child or go into the school yourself and apologise to the teacher concerned and explain why it was not the child's fault. I think it is reasonable for a child to be penalised for being late if no reasonable explaination is given by the parent. I'm sure teachers will not accept most of the myriad of excuses a child will give for being late, including blaming the parent.

Post #168614830th Jul 2016 9:21 am
Riccardo

Portugal 

It is not a matter of how long they stay at school and I am sure your children know what is right and what is wrong (my considerations are general and not personal Wink ).

If they are late they will damage not only them but also the others

Being on time at school as much as for an adult being on time at work is their responsibility ultimately irrespectively on how they get there. At work you might be fired because of that (again if done regularly) and saying that it was not your responsibility to drive the car would not save you

If my mother was late I was telling her to hurry up

For the issue of this discussion I also think it is eccessive if they really punish the children but at the moment they are only threatening the parents not exerting any pressure (or punishment) on the children as the letter is for the parents. It would be interesting to see if at the end they would really do that.
Out of curiosity what would you write in a letter like that to the parents? Again remember it is to the parents as in this case they would be responsible of the consequences

HughMartin wrote:
If it is your fault your child was late for school, shouldn't you send a note in with the child or go into the school yourself and apologise to the teacher concerned and explain why it was not the child's fault. I think it is reasonable for a child to be penalised for being late if no reasonable explaination is given by the parent. I'm sure teachers will not accept most of the myriad of excuses a child will give for being late, including blaming the parent.

That would be the way to handle that IMHO. I was late once for a car accident, told that to the teacher and nothing happened.

Last edited by Riccardo on 30th Jul 2016 9:24 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #168614930th Jul 2016 9:21 am
Mogwyth

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Irwin wrote:
Mogwyth wrote:

Its a community free school and they charge £2.50 a day so the £75 is 1/2 a term which is paid in advance..

£75 / month for each child, 60 days per term, that right?

Can the kid not take a sandwich with him and sit with his friends? Are the kids not allowed outside during lunch?

Nope in England &Wales there are 3 terms per year each is approximately 12 weeks, so that's £75 for 6 weeks.

And no packed lunches allowed, school dinners are compulsory.
 ==================================
05 D3 HSE V8 4.4
04 MG TF 135
03 MG TF 115 Cool Blue Edition
02 MG TF 160
00 Hymer B564 Lionheart
1971 Series III 109

Post #168615030th Jul 2016 9:22 am
HughMartin

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Quote:
That would be the way to handle that IMHO. I was late once for a car accident, told that to the teacher and nothing happened.

I ALWAYS do my best to be late for car accidents Whistle

Post #168615830th Jul 2016 9:34 am
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Just think for a moment from the point of view of the teachers, who are there before the children and still there when they go home.

How will a child that is excluded from the lunching group be supervised? They cannot be left alone. Teachers are working through lunchtime in relays supervising the food area, the play ground(s), possibly sport fields. Probably the only available place to put a child in that sorry position is with the detention group as ther are no further teachers available to start another supervision group.

And the meagre lunch? Well, that could well be being paid for by the teacher from her own pocket.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #168616330th Jul 2016 9:48 am
Riccardo

Portugal 

So I guess the teacher should not accept also the excuses of the father then Laughing Laughing

Post #168616430th Jul 2016 9:49 am
Pelyma

England 

Shocking! Punish the guilty not the innocent. Says it all that Nick Gibb supports the Head Teacher's standards, a bigger prat you'll struggle to meet, thank God he's not my MP anymore.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #168616630th Jul 2016 9:53 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Surely this example is how it should be dealt with

http://www.clavering.essex.sch.uk/school-meals-policy/ wrote:

If payment has not been made

If your child has taken a school meal which has not been paid for you will be sent on Tuesday a reminder detailing how much you owe (Appendix 1). Payment must be made immediately and can be sent in with your child or paid directly to the classroom. If payment is not received by Friday a further letter will be sent detailing the consequences of non payment and a final date by which payment must be made (Appendix 2)

If the matter remains unresolved, you will be sent a 3rd and final letter requesting payment and detailing the school’s next course of action. (Appendix 3)

The school cannot tolerate debt amounting to more than one weeks payment, as if debts are incurred then the school budget has to pay for them. This means that money which should be spent on the children’s education is used to pay for debts incurred by parents. If a parent repeatedly fails to provide a packed lunch, or sufficient monies to cover the cost of school meals, there may be a referral to Social Services as this has an affect on a pupil’s welfare.

The school is not obliged to provide a school dinner where payment is not forthcoming or where authorisation for free school meals has not been received, and some schools are known not to provide a meal in these circumstances. We will therefore act promptly to address such issues at an early stage, in order to prevent arrears of dinner monies from accumulating to a point beyond parents means to settle.

The school will in exceptional circumstances postpone the refusal to provide meals where parents have advised the school of their financial situation and school is satisfied that the funding will be forthcoming.

The school will work closely with parents in working out a form of payment plan to help resolve the situation if requested by the parent. However, where no attempt is made to clear the debt it will follow the procedure of the school’s Debt Management Policy.

Information regarding free school meals is available from the School Office.

Appendix 1 – 1st Reminder
Appendix 2 – 2nd Reminder
Appendix 3 – 3rd and Final Reminder

Making pupils sit in isolation for issues unrelated to them is draconian and Barry should be ashamed for sending out such a disgraceful letter.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #168616830th Jul 2016 9:56 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >