Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Suspension - a theory....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
How do you park yours? (mainly)
At access height on a level area (experienced errors)
18%
 18%  [6]
At normal height on a level area (experienced errors)
9%
 9%  [3]
At access height on a sloping area (experienced errors)
0%
 0%  [0]
At normal height on a sloping area (experienced errors)
3%
 3%  [1]
At access height on a level area (no errors)
9%
 9%  [3]
At normal height on a level area (no errors)
33%
 33%  [11]
At access height on a sloping area (no errors)
9%
 9%  [3]
At normal height on a sloping area (no errors)
12%
 12%  [4]
Other (experienced errors)
6%
 6%  [2]
Other (no errors)
0%
 0%  [0]
Total Votes: 33

BN

England 

Think it time for a brain refresh tonight. I will get Gary to help on Friday when we do the wheels and see what happens.

Post #2037528th Sep 2005 11:09 pm
Coffeecup

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

Just to jump in here. When you talk about level, are we saying the vehicle is trying to make itself level with the sea.. sort of flat. What I mean is if it is on a gentle rising slope with the front higher than the back, the vehicle shortens the suspension at the front (or raises the suspension at the back) so that the body is level level.

Or. Is it trying to get all 4 wheel's suspension to being the same height/extension.

The reason I'm asking is to think through what the vehicle's computer might be trying to work out when it's not parked on an airfield runway (assuming they don't slope up hills).

Coffeecup

Tonga Green March 2005 TDV6 S - Tonga Green - Manual
Stornoway Grey May 2008 TDV6 SE - Stornoway Grey - Auto
Tonga Green Dec 2010 SDV6 XS - Galway Green - Auto 

Post #2037728th Sep 2005 11:10 pm
BN

England 

In theory it should always remain level as a standard suspension car. For instance if a caravan is applield to the rear it should self level. If it did not the front would be like a speed boat. It is the hill situation that intrgues me.

Post #2037928th Sep 2005 11:13 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Coffeecup wrote:
Just to jump in here. When you talk about level, are we saying the vehicle is trying to make itself level with the sea.. sort of flat. What I mean is if it is on a gentle rising slope with the front higher than the back, the vehicle shortens the suspension at the front (or raises the suspension at the back) so that the body is level level.

Or. Is it trying to get all 4 wheel's suspension to being the same height/extension.

The reason I'm asking is to think through what the vehicle's computer might be trying to work out when it's not parked on an airfield runway (assuming they don't slope up hills).

No. Level means level in the context with the prevailing ground. The suspension is calibrated on the level; at each corner there is a levelling switch that rises of falls as the body moves. If the sensor moves either side of the calibrated "centre/level" position, air is pumped into or expelled from the air springs to compensate and bring all the sensors back to the level position.

When driving, you'd be very hard pushed to know it was doing anything, if it is working properly. The most obvious sign of activity is when the vehicle drops (almost always at the back only) when you stop, get out and unload the shopping - hence the disco fart. It will do this whether it is parked on a mountain or a cricket pitch - if it needs to.

The self-levelling refers to the body of the vehicle, nothing more. Then there is the suspension articulation, which is entirely seperate.

Post #2040329th Sep 2005 8:25 am
BN

England 

Me thinks this is an interesting subject that needs some practical application on a ramp Confused

Cor, don't like Martins centre justification, sorry boss, does my eyes in Shocked

Post #2040829th Sep 2005 8:33 am
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I suspect that if you lift the vehicle on the bottom front suspension (or rear) arm, the multi-articulation of the suspension will mean that the front suspension is pushed outside the tolerance level that the system will accept, and a fault is reported. I also suspect that this would only happen when both wheels are raised at the same time.

The suspension sensor monitors the level between the chassis frame and the top suspension arm; by lifting the bottom are, you are creating the error situation.

Post #2042029th Sep 2005 9:09 am
MVS

My Theory on the susp problems

Please see my ramblings on the Issues: Compressor failure thread, they are related to this. Just not this jacking lark.

Please feel free to pick holes in it

Mike

Post #2043929th Sep 2005 10:22 am
BN

England 

Winger wrote:
I suspect that if you lift the vehicle on the bottom front suspension (or rear) arm, the multi-articulation of the suspension will mean that the front suspension is pushed outside the tolerance level that the system will accept, and a fault is reported. I also suspect that this would only happen when both wheels are raised at the same time.

The suspension sensor monitors the level between the chassis frame and the top suspension arm; by lifting the bottom are, you are creating the error situation.

On Friday, or as sopn as possible I am going to put the car on the ramp and try a few ideas.

Post #2052729th Sep 2005 8:40 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >