Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Suspension - a theory....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
How do you park yours? (mainly)
At access height on a level area (experienced errors)
18%
 18%  [6]
At normal height on a level area (experienced errors)
9%
 9%  [3]
At access height on a sloping area (experienced errors)
0%
 0%  [0]
At normal height on a sloping area (experienced errors)
3%
 3%  [1]
At access height on a level area (no errors)
9%
 9%  [3]
At normal height on a level area (no errors)
33%
 33%  [11]
At access height on a sloping area (no errors)
9%
 9%  [3]
At normal height on a sloping area (no errors)
12%
 12%  [4]
Other (experienced errors)
6%
 6%  [2]
Other (no errors)
0%
 0%  [0]
Total Votes: 33

MVS

Would it be possible to e-mail me the theory as I will be talking to my dealer service dept, and the stand in dealer principle in the morning as I need something sorting out.

I will keep the site out of the discussion which will eventually ensue, and will give you the credit Bow down and publicly acknowledge your superior intelligence if successful

Bow down
Thud
Mike

Post #2027528th Sep 2005 8:41 pm
BN

England 

I fail to see how it can be a compressor fault if more than one is changed. It has to be something else and software comes to mind. Ifit is not software, why can an error be guaranteed if the front or rear is lifted up for a while. It does it on all cars, guaranteed.

Post #2027828th Sep 2005 8:46 pm
Pelyma

England 

OOPs I've voted wrong if a compressor failure is not a suspension error, I got one when it failed Embarassed
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #2028828th Sep 2005 9:07 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

BN wrote:
I fail to see how it can be a compressor fault if more than one is changed. It has to be something else and software comes to mind. Ifit is not software, why can an error be guaranteed if the front or rear is lifted up for a while. It does it on all cars, guaranteed.

When you say "error" do you mean an error message or a melt down? Of course, if you take both wheels of the ground (fore or aft) the poor old computer is going to think something strange is going on, as both senors will be telling it that......

Don't rush to blame the software - that is not a fair test condition.....you don't get the same message if just one wheel is off the ground.

Post #2030028th Sep 2005 9:25 pm
BN

England 

Winger wrote:
BN wrote:

When you say "error" do you mean an error message or a melt down? Of course, if you take both wheels of the ground (fore or aft) the poor old computer is going to think something strange is going on, as both senors will be telling it that......

Don't rush to blame the software - that is not a fair test condition.....you don't get the same message if just one wheel is off the ground.

I can try it on Friday when we change the wheels.

Post #2030628th Sep 2005 9:31 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

Excellent.

But consider this: what you suggest is that having the wheels extended to their maximum travel is causing the problem. Go cross-axle, seriously, the vehicle so that you have one front and one rear wheel off the ground, and then see what the system reports - that would be a fairer test.

Of course, Coffeecup could probably have obliged at Rockingham, and got both rear wheels off the ground as the nose headed into the depths.... Wink

Post #2031428th Sep 2005 9:49 pm
Pelyma

England 

Winger we did that, stopped the Defender dead, but not super Slimer!! He didn't mention any failures or errors.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #2031728th Sep 2005 9:51 pm
BN

England 

Done the x axle bit a few times with nothing and that was on level and incline. It is only on the ramp that is guarenteed error reading and with either front or rear lifted

Post #2031828th Sep 2005 9:53 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

Yes - and that is both wheels off the ground at the same time. Perhaps the computur is just trying to warn you that you are about to take off?

Enuff - I'm off to do some research for TFC (after I've chucked the dog out, put another log on the fire and refilled the vin rouge bucket)

Post #2031928th Sep 2005 9:55 pm
BN

England 

No still not making sense as the wheels were jacked up under the axles, so in theory the car should only think it is on a slope. The suspension is not dropped or raised, the car is just tilted.

Post #2032028th Sep 2005 9:59 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I think the suspension is linked to 'roadspeed' - after a predetemined time (seems to be 90 seconds) the vehicle 'attempt to' level itself unless moving, in which case the levelling / loading is dynamic.... I've neverhad any problems when parked at access height, if I park at normal height on anything other than level ground, I get the 'suspension raising slowly' message - which indicates that the suspension has depleted the (small) amount of stored energy in the system...

Post #2032328th Sep 2005 10:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

When I changed a front wheel the other day, I jacked it up as per manual, raising to off-road height first. When I had refitted the wheel, and lowered the car, I turned the key and got a message like "Suspension will lower when clear of obstacle"

As soon as I started the engine, it was back to normal, and I was able to lower it to normal height. This is not what I would call an error though.

Post #2032428th Sep 2005 10:02 pm
BN

England 

Gareth wrote:
When I changed a front wheel the other day, I jacked it up as per manual, raising to off-road height first. When I had refitted the wheel, and lowered the car, I turned the key and got a message like "Suspension will lower when clear of obstacle"

As soon as I started the engine, it was back to normal, and I was able to lower it to normal height. This is not what I would call an error though.

Gareth the errors go into extended mode when on a ramp.

Post #2032628th Sep 2005 10:05 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

BN wrote:
Gareth wrote:

Gareth the errors go into extended mode when on a ramp.

Sorry Brian, I don't understand that, do you mean the vehicle goes into extended mode when 4 wheels are lifted off the ground on 4 post ramp?

Post #2033228th Sep 2005 10:11 pm
BN

England 

No, it is unexplainable at the moment because if the front wheels are lifted without raising or extending the suspension on a ramp, the error message is guaranteed. In theory it should be the same as parking the car on a slope.

Post #2033628th Sep 2005 10:18 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >