Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Autoglass say Pilkinton won't release Optikool screens
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 11 <123 ... 678 91011>
terryall

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

So how do I stand in this? My insurance runs out with Admiral end of August. I claimed for a new screen a couple of weeks ago but as mentioned they turned up today with wrong screen. Next appointment is 10th Sept but insurance will have expired as I will probably go elsewhere from Sept 1st. Could Admiral refuse to fit a new screen if I don't renew with them?

Post #132865723rd Aug 2014 2:58 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Would have thought if you had started the claim with your current insurere and they had it on record about the claim and the delay then they should foot the bill.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #132869223rd Aug 2014 4:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
terryall

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Yes, I agree as I'm sure the legal position would be when you started the claim as it was their nominated windscreen company that has caused the delay.

Post #132869523rd Aug 2014 4:20 pm
luciogodoy

Brazil 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

It's my turn now with the following combination:

Tesco Insurance and National Windscreen

So called Tesco insurance, referred to National Windscreen call centre and then I received a call from my local depot - Slough.

Have done my homework, by reading this thread, i've asked for Pilkington Optikool, the A-pillar trims/clips, and guess what: yes for the A-pillar trims/clips but No for the Pilkington Optikool, they offered Nordglass.

Obviously i refused, and said that i read on the internet, that due to problems with GPS + sensors + security, i wanted the Pilkington Optikool instead.

The chap on the line had a bit of a laugh, when i said, that i had researched on the internet, at that point my blood boiled, how rude!!!

Cutting story short, lots of excuses, your car is older than 3 years, blah blah, so i've asked for the head office number and ended the conversation.

Called the number, lodged a complaint and the chap on the line (a manager) said he would see the availability of the Pilkington Optikool, how long it would take to get one, and has alerted that Tesco may ask me to pay towards the difference, as it could cost more - but he would call me on monday to let me know the results.

Lets wait and see what happens, Wish me good luck!!

Lucio
 I'm riding a R1250GSA Triple Back
Previous love: Disco 3 HSE MY07, D4 heated Steering/W, D4 rear cluster, D4 extended roof rack, D4 grille & air grille, D4 rear bumper, colour coded arches + front bumper, side-steps, Webasto timer/ remote control, De-Tangoed Xenon headlights + HID, LEDs all around, reverse CAM (RR hack) + brightness, DLR LEDs, 3-click indicator, SatNav on the move, EGR's done, front/rear antiroll bar Polybush, gearbox pan/filter + oil mega-flush. 

Post #134837726th Sep 2014 5:42 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Since when did insurers start saying “we can fit the cheapest sub-standard crap to your car and if you want it done properly you’ll have to pay extra”? !!!
Evil or Very Mad

Post #134843226th Sep 2014 7:04 pm
paulmeryan

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Stand your ground if you can live with the crack. I'm checking my next insurers stand on this matter when I renew and it probably won't be with Privilege even though I eventually got my way it cost me two hald day holidays from work and a Saturday when I should have been visiting friends. Life's too short and it's not good enough.

Post #134843526th Sep 2014 7:13 pm
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

If it's of any use,my earlier comments were while being insured by Tesco....absolutely no issue...I didn't have to ask for Pilkington,I was told by the fitters that they (National windscreens)fit Pilkington as standard....I'm starting to wonder if there is a "postcode lottery" issue going on Confused
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #134843626th Sep 2014 7:15 pm
gensetsteve

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Commercial Auto Belize GreenDiscovery 4

My local garage has used national windscreens for years and say they are top guys and know what they are doing they simply would not go elsewhere.
 D4  
Post #134899928th Sep 2014 9:53 am
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Not read all this, but doesn't any replacement part have to meet OEM specification as a minimum, i.e if tinted, sensors, Optikool is required for dash mounted climate sensor technically Whistle etc. My policy says I have to use a specific glass company, but doesn't say I have to use their glass.

It only says if I use another company they will pay a maximum of £x

Post #134900128th Sep 2014 9:58 am
luciogodoy

Brazil 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi All;

Got the call just now, National Windscreens wants an extra £50 on top of the £75 excess to order and fit the Pilkington windshield.

I don't think I can find more leverage in negotiating the £50 Crying or Very sad

Lucio
 I'm riding a R1250GSA Triple Back
Previous love: Disco 3 HSE MY07, D4 heated Steering/W, D4 rear cluster, D4 extended roof rack, D4 grille & air grille, D4 rear bumper, colour coded arches + front bumper, side-steps, Webasto timer/ remote control, De-Tangoed Xenon headlights + HID, LEDs all around, reverse CAM (RR hack) + brightness, DLR LEDs, 3-click indicator, SatNav on the move, EGR's done, front/rear antiroll bar Polybush, gearbox pan/filter + oil mega-flush. 

Post #134960329th Sep 2014 1:13 pm
paulmeryan

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

You have all the posters in this thread and maybe others who didn't have to pay more than their insurance excess. As one poster said your insurer stipulates there'll be a surcharge for using a fitter other than their recommended one but nothing about being surcharged to fit the same piece of glass as came on you car or that your windscreen insurance cover is limited to inferior products.
 VR6 > 330D Touring > D3 HSE > !?XC90?!  
Post #135029230th Sep 2014 1:39 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Barn1e wrote:
6 weeks ago Autoglass fitted my 05 with a Solarshield make. Never looked at time. Should I Big Cry . This was a refit as the first one was not aligned to top of roof line properly. Best fit I have had in 5 screens since new.

Four months after I wrote the above, a chip has turned immediately into a crack. So, now on phone to Autoglass requesting a Pilkington one be fitted on the basis that this Shatterpruf made screen seems to have cracked too easily and the last one was not fitted properly and the one before that only had the heating element working on one side of screen.

If I ever come off "hold" I will update this thread Whistle

PS Listening to adverts for third time Banging Head
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #13699657th Nov 2014 3:44 pm
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

paulmeryan wrote:
Stand your ground if you can live with the crack. I'm checking my next insurers stand on this matter when I renew and it probably won't be with Privilege even though I eventually got my way it cost me two hald day holidays from work and a Saturday when I should have been visiting friends. Life's too short and it's not good enough.

But it isn't just the insurer is it it's the supplier that is more of the problem? I'm with Privilege and got an Optikool first time round with no hassle other than specifically requesting one.

Post #13699687th Nov 2014 3:51 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Agreed, I am with Direct Line so have had no involvement with them, as it is all handled by Autoglass who have my insurance details. Waiting for a call from their Brighton office to see what they can supply.
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #13700347th Nov 2014 6:37 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Auto glass just confirmed Pilkington to be fitted Thursday.
Post #13703138th Nov 2014 2:52 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 7 of 11 <123 ... 678 91011>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >