Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Autoglass say Pilkinton won't release Optikool screens
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 11 <123 ... 567 ... 91011>
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Well it's not all doom and gloom. Told Autoglass I wanted a Pilkington screen on the phone and with no more messing around that's what they turned up with. Asked them to ensure they turned up with A pillar trim clips and they did. Only problem was that the fitter claimed both A pillar trims themselves broke and he only had a left hand one on the van. He has fitted the old right hand one temporarily and is coming back tomorrow with a new one.

So all in all a very good experience from Autoglass.

Post #13202464th Aug 2014 7:02 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

So, Auto Windscreens turned-up yesterday with a new Pilkington Optikool screen. 8)

The old one took some getting out due to the excess amount of sealant that had been applied the last time I had a new screen. Shocked

The fitter made some derogatory remark when I told him the previous guy turned-up last week with a NordGlass screen and I rejected it. Something to do with them not always fitting properly... Whistle

Anyway, new Pilkington Optikool screen and scuttle trim fitted and all seems to be well (I guess we will see when it rains/the frost arrives).

Will probably be needing some new external A-pillar trims since they appeared to be bonded on with sealant the last time I had the screen replaced (about three years ago).

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #13219898th Aug 2014 10:13 am
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Thumbs Up
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #13219968th Aug 2014 10:31 am
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Woolmeister wrote:
So, Auto Windscreens turned-up yesterday with a new Pilkington Optikool screen. 8)
Will probably be needing some new external A-pillar trims since they appeared to be bonded on with sealant the last time I had the screen replaced (about three years ago).
Steve

Steve, I think they should have replaced the side trims as a matter of course. It is not just that the clips can be broken on removal, but the clips have a sealing pad that stops water getting in. Felt sure there was a thread on that topic. Glad you got the right windscreen.
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #13219978th Aug 2014 10:35 am
paulmeryan

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

At long last I have my Pilkington Optikool screen. It's taken AG about 6 weeks to fit the screen I wanted so though I'm glad I wouldn't say it was a positive customer experience.

It is as they said a LR branded screen with the LR logo obscured with a Pilkington logo rather than buffed off as they said it would be. No idea why or how they did this but who cares. Here's the mandatory pic to prove it happened. You can just about make out the LR oval beneath the Pilkington cross. It's very clear in the daylight.

VR6 > 330D Touring > D3 HSE > !?XC90?!  
Post #132388712th Aug 2014 11:40 am
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

Result! Thumbs Up

FWIW, mine is identical to yours with exactly the same markings. I've just been out to check and I can also see how the LR logo has been obscured by the Pilkington logo. Shocked Bizarre why they would go to this trouble. Confused

Did they fit new A-Pillar trims to yours?

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #132389012th Aug 2014 11:45 am
paulmeryan

Yes Steve, I got new A pillar trims and clips on both sides.
Post #132392212th Aug 2014 12:41 pm
disco3wannabe

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Interesting. I have an insurance claim through admiral and auto glass. Told them on booking to bring pillar clips and that I wanted a Pilkington Optikool. No problem said the call handler, all in your notes.

Fitter arrived yesterday and some shatterpruff nonsense on the van. Rejected and a call to the local depot made. Explained this had been requested at the outset, chap claimed it was whatever head office sent and have in stock at the time. I asked for head office number so I could confirm when Pilkington would be in stock and happy to wait until that time. He asked why I didn't want anything other than Pilkington and after a chat said he would call back this am...

Will wait and see.

Off to check my insurance small print to see if I can get the glass fitted at dealer minus my excess and charge them for the rest if auto glass can't come up with the goods. It seems here though that they can if one was fitted yesterday...

Post #132423313th Aug 2014 7:23 am
discoteca

Interesting to see how you get on. I wonder if those of us who successfully got Pilkington (inc me) from Autoglass in the last few weeks were just lucky and there was some residual Pilkington stock floating round in certain of their depots?

Post #132425313th Aug 2014 8:14 am
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

It looks like many insurance companies and Autoglass are simply trying to provide the cheapest rubbish they think they can get away with. Probably works 90% of the time because most customers won't spot the difference, well, until a hard frost, large stone or small accident comes their way!
Evil or Very Mad

Post #132429413th Aug 2014 10:19 am
paulmeryan

discoteca wrote:
I wonder if those of us who successfully got Pilkington (inc me) from Autoglass in the last few weeks were just lucky and there was some residual Pilkington stock floating round in certain of their depots?

I was fed various excuses over the 6 weeks it took to get the screen I wanted including Pilkington won't release non LR brnaded screens to them (AG) and they had none in stock anywhere in the country. Eventually I understand their central ordering team had to order one for me. Maybe they don't work with Pilkington on a bulk basis anymore but it appears to be a discretionary decision to purchase and fit them. As said on a thread somewhere they might not actually have to honour your request according to the small print of most policies with the likes of DL/Privilege but they will make a few exceptions to meet whatever targets they have agreed with the insurer or to stop loss of market share to competitors. They're just taking one for the board.
Post #132437613th Aug 2014 2:41 pm
discoteca

My Autoglass fitted Pilkington screen is a Pilkington original ie it doesn't have the Pilkington sticker covering the LR logo, just Pilkington markings.

Post #132511315th Aug 2014 7:56 am
terryall

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Brilliant! Auto Windscreens just took everything off the car bar the glass and when the engineer brought the new screen out he realised it had no rain sensor. Back in it went and now have to wait 2 weeks for new appointment.

Post #132856623rd Aug 2014 10:16 am
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Personally,I think the 2 week wait is unacceptable.....when I phoned National Windscreens to make my appointment,the guy spent a good while on the phone making sure of manufacturing year and any sensors the car had fitted.....there was a potential issue as apparently the Discovery changed from a horizontal windscreen VIN to a vertical one between my2011 and my2012....he asked me to confirm which one I had before he booked the fitter....there is a clear cut-out in the shading to allow it to be read.
If you phone them,they're going to fob you off with ordering times etc,but I'd be telling them it's their fault,and 2 weeks is unacceptable......if they say they're busy,tell them to bump someone else.....it's not your fault they're incompetent Whistle
ISTR I had about a 4-5 working day turnaround also.... Thumbs Up
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #132857323rd Aug 2014 10:41 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

Intrseting reading this thread, I have had issues with Auto Windcreens on two occasions, on both times I was insured with LR insurance and ended up going back to them for support, which they did.
On both occasions AW tried to tell me they had no windscreens in stock and they could not get one through there supplier or LR for at least two weeks!!!!! I had already checked with my dealer who had one in stock on the first occasion and was able to get one in for the next morning on the second occasion. AW were made aware f this but I was told I was not correct, hence LR insurance getting involved.
It turned out that LR insurance contract with AW stated that they must fit or offer to a new windscreen within a maximumof 48 hours. This windscreen must also be a LR one as the policy states only LR parts will be fitted.
Strange that when LR insurance contact AW they suddenly had a LR one in stock and it was fitted on the same day, similar story on the second occasion.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #132858623rd Aug 2014 11:33 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 6 of 11 <123 ... 567 ... 91011>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >