Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Autoglass say Pilkinton won't release Optikool screens
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 11 <123 456 ... 91011>
Murphy108

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Mariana BlackDiscovery 4

2 fitters in 2 vans just turned up Rolling Eyes with a shiny new landrover branded Optikool windscreen and new A pillar trims, all being being fitted as I type Very Happy

Just hope this one keeps the rain out Whistle

Make sure you check what they bring as I was assured the first time it would be a Pilkington screen Neutral

Post #131589725th Jul 2014 2:49 pm
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Small crack appeared on Sunday, by this morning its a third of the way across the screen. Am insured with Privilege which means Autoglass I presume. Best get on the phone and see what happens when I tell them I want a Pilkington screen then.

Last edited by discoteca on 29th Jul 2014 9:16 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #131735329th Jul 2014 9:04 am
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

People Power.....if everyone demands an Optikool replacement screen,and refuses to settle for an inferior replacement,then maybe they will get the hint.... Whistle
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #131735629th Jul 2014 9:13 am
paulmeryan

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Murphy108 wrote:
2 fitters in 2 vans just turned up Rolling Eyes with a shiny new landrover branded Optikool windscreen and new A pillar trims

Did it go ok? Did they break any clips and did they have spares. Mine's booked tomorrow. Fingers crossed but if the guy doesn't have spare clips he's not touching my car.
 VR6 > 330D Touring > D3 HSE > !?XC90?!  
Post #131737629th Jul 2014 10:16 am
Murphy108

Hi Paul

Yes all went good they actually brought complete new A Pillar trims Razz The fitter Showed me the old trims and several of the clips had indeed broken.

I had a good chat with the fitter and he said he was shocked at the quality of the original screen, once off the car it looked even worse ! he also said he wasn't aware of any restrictions on supplying OptiKool nor of Landrover branding being removed, he had actually been to Guy Salmon Landrover that morning to collect the screen.

Sounds like all the excuses being given are just that.

Post #131742029th Jul 2014 11:38 am
paulmeryan

Hi Murphy?!

Glad to hear you got satisfaction.

Was the original poor quality screen they removed a Pilkington Optikool then or was it an aftermarket replacement?

I don't understand why I got so much BS either. There's no need for it. Anyone with half a mind smells it a mile off and so it just creates distrust.

Looking fwd to getting mine done tomorrow then driving off to the Cairngorms and Inverness on Sunday for a music festival with the family and cousins. Towing a tin tent from Yorkshire. Might even clean the D3 once the new screens in.
Post #131742129th Jul 2014 11:44 am
Murphy108

It was branded "Shatterprufe" which when I googled it came up as a South African manufacturer.

If you've got a rain sensor make sure they clip that in properly as mine was loose resulting in the wipers constantly going Rolling Eyes

Hope yours goes ok !

Post #131743029th Jul 2014 12:00 pm
paulmeryan

Cheers. Ironic if it was Autoglass that fitted yours as that's what they tried to fob me off with.

This will be the third time I've had a fitting appointment and the second I've had to work from home to oversee the fitting. Awkward as that can be with work I have to see it done with my own eyes.

What it's taught me is to use a broker when I next renew my insurance policy.
Post #131744029th Jul 2014 12:11 pm
Murphy108

It was Auto Windscreens that did mine, I watched for a bit until they got the "cheese wire" cutter out then thought it best not to watch any more Shocked

To be fair they did a good job, but then I thought that the first time as well Whistle

Post #131744329th Jul 2014 12:17 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

So, Auto Windscreens have just been and gone... Whistle

I phoned them up over a week ago and specifically ordered a Pilkington screen. The screen on the van was made by NordGlass, which seems to be a Polish screen manufacturer. So, back on the van it went and I await a Pilkington screen sometime next week.

The fitter was apologetic and said he would get the office to give me a call in the week to book me in again. He even helped me put the old scuttle trim and wipers back on. Laughing

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #13192252nd Aug 2014 3:27 pm
terryall

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Just booked a replacement screen via Admiral Insurance with Auto Windscreens. Have to wait until 23rd August so they're busy boys. Female I booked with says its a screen " made by Pilkington" but will not be a Land Rover dealer supplied one as Admiral won't pay if vehicle is over 3 years old. Think I'm being told a load of tosh so has anyone else heard of this?

Post #13201844th Aug 2014 5:28 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

Auto Windscreens will be making a second attempt at fitting a Pilkington Optikool screen to my D3 on Thursday of this week after they failed to bring a Pilkington screen with them on the van on Saturday, despite me specifically requesting a Pilkington screen last week. Evil or Very Mad

The office phoned again this morning to book the second appointment and, once again, I specifically requested a Pilkington screen to the same bloke I spoke to the first time, last week. Whistle

I'm also with Admiral Insurance; I have no issue with them not fitting a Land Rover branded Pilkington screen. I do have an issue with them attempting to fit a NordGlass screen.

I've not been spouted the "3 year rule" by anybody at Admiral or Auto Windscreens yet. Sounds a bit arbitrary to me. Rolling Eyes

Steve
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #13202024th Aug 2014 5:52 pm
terryall

Just spoke to Admiral who said it is correct they will not fit a dealership windscreen if the vehicle is over 3 years old. Auto windscreens said it would be a Pilkington screen but not stamped so I guess thats ok.
Can I insist on new pillars and clips or is that at the discretion of the fitter?

Post #13202114th Aug 2014 6:05 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

The guy who came to me on Saturday already had new clips for the external A-pillar trims. They do not fit new A-pillar trims by default but, if they damage them when removing/refitting, I think it is fair and reasonable to request new ones. Thumbs Up

S

Post #13202154th Aug 2014 6:08 pm
terryall

Let battle commence!

Post #13202184th Aug 2014 6:10 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 11 <123 456 ... 91011>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >