Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Autoglass say Pilkinton won't release Optikool screens
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 11 <123 45 ... 91011>
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I think you've opened a can of worms here.... Working with a number of insurance companies as there was a new leaning towards being green and recycling....the major salvage companies were therefore trying to lobby the insurers to purchase second hand parts to repair our cars with....their argument which was actually quite good was that it was green, reduced carbon emissions, recycled genuine OEM parts back into the repair business...
The insurers themselves actually went against the motion,with two arguments....safety and the amount of time it would take for repair shops to get that component useable I.e. All the dinks out etc...

The biggest issue with this is actually the repair shops..they will use anything they can get away with to increase their tight profit margins...thus bill the insurer for genuine parts but use cheaper Chinese stuff to increase the profitability of the job...

Post #131056413th Jul 2014 10:48 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Can of worms..

officially open
Thank Goodness..
if its in a public forum & there are those who when they need to insist on OEM ....Brilliant
I cant see windscreen companies using used windscreens...but other parts maybe

if there is a Steptoe & Sons aspect to the upkeep of your dearly beloved D3/4 - then you should be able to decide...
Cheap nasty oil sir......just as good........or the real stuff its far more expensive
Clone copy parts sir...they look the same....maybe made of inferior materials & dodgy heat treatment with no TS16943 quality controls...but they are cheaper

look a few posts up & read the usual quality control / specification aspects of what vehicle is made to

Deary me....& we on here doubt the situation if manufacturing of Jag/LR was relocated to India or god /allah/whatever forbid...China

...after all you could buy a Chinese replica D3 then doubtful, nasty, cheap parts wouldn't matter

get a grip...we are those with the control
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #131056813th Jul 2014 11:08 am
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

NoDo$h wrote:
Oh dear...... Not sure how to break this one to you, but if you read the T&Cs of many policies that's exactly what you will get in many instances; pattern aftermarket parts.

Actually, you have the legal right to choose who repairs your car. If you or your dealer know of a good approved bodyshop there are many around who will do excellent work and in many cases use OEM parts. The insurance companies can not insist you use their suggested suppliers, or anyone else they've done a private deal with!

But, that is exactly what they are saying when it comes to windscreens ???

Post #131067413th Jul 2014 5:14 pm
gensetsteve

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Commercial Auto Belize GreenDiscovery 4

Your right to insist on quality glass. We had a run of windscreens only lasting weeks. All cheap glass small stone hits would produce chips which almost overnight turned to cracks. We have run vehicles for 10 years and 200,000 miles and had to change the glass because it was too hard to see out these makes were saint gobin triplex and pilkington. These quality glass screens often take huge hits without showing a mark and even if they get a bulls eye less likely to crack. We were given the story about the cheap screens all meet a minimum bs standard, when its my excess every few weeks I am not looking for minimum standard I am looking for top quality.
 D4  
Post #131068813th Jul 2014 6:15 pm
Manzig

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks to thread, checked Autoglass fitter had brought Pilkington screen as requested at time of arranging appointment, sent away as he brought another make. To be fair Autoglass ordered a Pilkington screen with no quibbles and fitted a few days later. I probably wouldn't have noticed 'cheaper screen' until it was too late was it not for reading this thread.

Post #131409821st Jul 2014 4:51 pm
paulmeryan

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Glad you got the right screen Manzig. I'm still waiting for Autoglass Rochester to call me saying my screen is in. It was agreed three weeks ago and has been on order all that time aparently. It might help my case when I chase them if I can say the Staffs branch was able to get their customer a screen within a few days.

Confused
 VR6 > 330D Touring > D3 HSE > !?XC90?!  
Post #131410421st Jul 2014 5:01 pm
Manzig

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi, it was the Derby depot the screen/fitter came from

Post #131410821st Jul 2014 5:12 pm
paulmeryan

thanks. Just relayed this to Autoglass Rochester, who say they'll get their central ordering team to call me back in the morning. Nothing's changed though and I've been waiting nearly two months now to get my Pilkington screen fitted.

There's been some recent media coverage of an FCA report which found people just buy motor insurance on price rather than cover because they can't be bothered giving all the required information up front to get the right cover. This is why we have brokers and why I will be using one when I renew my annual policy and why I most likely won't be using Privilege/DL and Autoglass ever again.
Post #131411021st Jul 2014 5:20 pm
IanT599

United Kingdom 

I had similar issue with Auto Windscreens.

I got a Pilkington screen fitted eventually. The first one (cheap brand) wasn't fitted correctly. Removing it it cracked so they fitted a second cheap brand. That one leaked due to the screen not being manufactured correctly. There was a bow in the top of the screen. Third one was a Pilkington. We had other issues due to damage to the car and stuff but that's another story.

I believe the windscreen is also a safety device. Hitting a bird at 70mph the other week the screen had no issues. Had it been a cheaper imported one who knows but I wouldn't want to be the one who tests it?
 Ian
No longer a LR owner
2018 BMW M240i
2011 FFRR 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography - Gone
2004 TD5 ES - Gone
2008 TDV6 G4 -Sold and missed very much 

Post #131417221st Jul 2014 7:34 pm
Murphy108

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Mariana BlackDiscovery 4

Had similar problem, spoke to Insurer who assured me a pilkington Opticool would be fitted, on the day I had to leave the car at work as I was at a meeting. when I got back thought great Job no hassles and all done but then checked and national windscreens fitted a Shaterprufe windscreen not a Pilkington !

thought oh well it's got the markings on so I'll put up with it - big mistake !

after various problems with wipers not being fitted properly and coming loose (twice in 1 day) the windscreen has started to leak and there is a whistling noise from the passenger side Evil or Very Mad

Looked closer yesterday and it's already got a stone chip in it after a week and the black bands on the sides are crooked !

Got onto insurers this morning and they basically could not care less and tried fobbing me off, oem spec fitted as good as Pilkington etc and anyway no pilkington screens available !

Phoned Guy Salmon at Knutsford and they can have a pilkington opticool delivered tomorrow Rolling Eyes

Ended up phoning our broker A Plan, who could not have been more helpful with a phone call within an hour from National Windscreens, new pilkington opticool being fitted Friday with new a pillar trims as last fitter managed to break lugs on inside of trims.

fingers crossed for Friday and can recommend A Plan - as others have said you only find out how good they are until you need them.

Post #131418821st Jul 2014 7:57 pm
paulmeryan

Well. I've just had a call from Autoglass Rochester saying they have a Pilkington Optikool screen and can fit it next Wednesday morning Surprised . Just in time for our road trip to Glenmore and Inverness the week after towing a tin tent. Smile

Only bit that seemed strange was he mentioned it was in fact a LR screen and they've removed the lettering as they're not authorised to sell/fit these Confused . On trying to get this point straightened out it seems that they can't buy screens from LR dealers and sometimes Pilkington mark up more screens than LR eventually take so they debrand them before putting them out as Pilkington screens for general consumption.

As long as it's a genuine Pilkington Optikool and it actually gets fitted I don't give a tinker's Censored

Any tips on what to look for to confirm its provenance? I suppose I can compare it to what's in my car currently. Crack aside of course, which I don't even notice anymore.
Post #131552624th Jul 2014 5:09 pm
gensetsteve

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Commercial Auto Belize GreenDiscovery 4

How can they get the landrover symbol off once its printed or etched on. I would not be worried if it was a genuine Landrover part the way my thing is falling apart most pattern parts cant be any worse. But I would and have insisted on branded windscreens ie pilkington or triplex or similar and not rubbish from PRC its my excess each time and not an opportunity for the windscreen boys to put another oner in their pockets.
 D4  
Post #131575925th Jul 2014 12:34 am
paulmeryan

Remember the days when blokes used to hang around shopping centre car parks offering to etch your car's registration in the glass as the state of the art in theft prevention. Imagine the potential car thief/joy rider's face when they saw yourletters etched in every pane of glass, fear of god and all that. Anyway they just sand blasted it on as far as I recall. AG man said they buff it off so may be it's a similar process which overlays print on the glass itself. Wonder how removal affects any coating!
Post #131580725th Jul 2014 9:38 am
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

FWIW, I've just made an appointment for a new screen to be fitted next Saturday after the heat of the Hampshire sun, yesterday, turned what started off as a small stone chip into a crack 1/4 of the way across the screen Shocked .

I'm insured with Admiral and their glass claims line now goes through to Auto Windscreens, Scarab. I specifically requested a Pilkington screen, which the telephone operative said he would put on my notes. There did not seem to be a problem with me requesting a Pilkington screen. Thumbs Up

I guess we will see what turns-up next Saturday... Whistle

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #131584225th Jul 2014 12:04 pm
Scarab

Interesting point Steve, let us know how it goes.

Alex

Post #131588625th Jul 2014 2:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 11 <123 45 ... 91011>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >