Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

brake upgrades just don't get it :-)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 6 123456>
cmyers_uk

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
brake upgrades just don't get it :-)

I have standard brakes , if i want to stop , i press em , if i want to stop quickly i press em hard. The minute i do that dry road , wet road etc , i exceed the capabilities of the tyres and the abs kicks in. So what does V8 brakes or brembos actually give me apart from some bling or bragging rights. I understand brake fade etc and feel as i ride a motorbike with brembos but in terms of actual braking distance how if standard exceeds the grip the tyre provides how does any of the upgrades help in actual stopping distance in a one off emergency.

Just had a few beers and thinking it over!

Cheers
Chris

Post #125833125th Mar 2014 4:46 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

If you are braking to the limit of the road/tyre/ABS combination then bigger brakes do nothing more than shed the heat quicker whilst achieving the same overall stopping distance.

The problem with the original small brakes is that they can and do suffer from brake fade, especially when the car is laden and/or conducting sequential and large braking events. In this situation the braking distance can grow at an alarming rate.

The 'V8' brakes make a considerable difference and given the price to upgrade (effectively the price of the calliper brackets) moving to them when replacing the disc should be a no-brainer. Thankfully LR addressed the braking issue with the launch of D4, which has brakes larger than that of the D3 V8 upgrade.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #125833325th Mar 2014 5:10 am
MarkOne

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I just upgraded the front and rear to V8 discs. And the braking is nite and day to standard, the standard Discovery 3 is well under braked for the size and weight of the vehicle.

Post #125833425th Mar 2014 6:33 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bigdave
Site Sponsor 

England 

+1 for me too.

My fronts were a mess with worn pads, discs, and a stuck caliper.

Got the V8 upgrade kit from AF and my word they are excellent.

It gives you real confidence you can bring the beast to a stop on a sixpence.

Granted id been nursing my fronts for a bit but this is a step change for very little extra money.

Highly recommended upgrade.

Thumbs Up
 All things shipping, storage, transport. UK and worldwide.

E-mail [email protected] 

Post #125835325th Mar 2014 8:30 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MarkOne

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I was in the same boat Dave, the discs and pads where wrecked and I wanted to make sure I was happy with the braking this time around.

Post #125835525th Mar 2014 8:39 am
Bobs

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

So the Advanced Factors V8 kit is it a 'kit' or is anything else needed and whats the cost Whistle

Post #125835725th Mar 2014 8:43 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

MarkOne wrote:
the standard Discovery 3 is well under braked for the size and weight of the vehicle.

<EDIT> Of course doing an upgrade will increase capability but that doesn't mean that the original set-up was wrong. Smile
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021 

Last edited by DG on 28th Mar 2014 10:39 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #125835825th Mar 2014 8:49 am
bigdave
Site Sponsor 

England 

Bobs it's all there on the website.

I added front calipers too as I wanted the whole lot changed.

Thumbs Up
 All things shipping, storage, transport. UK and worldwide.

E-mail [email protected] 

Post #125835925th Mar 2014 8:49 am
chalky

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I did the V8 conversion a couple of years ago, I agree that the standard brakes will stop you and in the once or twice I actually had to conduct an emergency stop they worked pretty effectively so this restored my faith in the effectiveness if the standard set up,
The descision to go V8 when the standards wore out had already been made at this point, as others have said the difference is impressive.

Most importantly for me pedal feel improved, I lost the spongy first application of the braking which the standard set up had, the V8's need dabbing where as the standards required standing on.

I felt uneasy with the lack of feedback from the brakes, and as mentioned above they suffered from brake fade, something which I hate !
Towing a trailer down the Buttertubs pass with poor brakes isn't a pleasant experience Shocked
 Only dead fish go with the Flow !  
Post #125836025th Mar 2014 8:55 am
Bobs

Dave ... as a 'novice' the V8 kit then and calipers .... or do they come with it ... Whistle

As you know ... learning is great but a bit embarassing Embarassed when you know nothing ...

Will go on now AF site now and look .... great when baby is up at 5 u can log on earlier Laughing

Thanks Thumbs Up

Post #125836125th Mar 2014 8:55 am
chalky

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Bobs you will require calliper carriers and not callipers, the carriers space the calliper away from the hub and allow for a larger diameter braking surface, this then requires new discs.

Standard pads are then required because you are on your original callipers, if fitting new V8 disks you really need new pads In there or you risk getting the new disks damaged with old pads.

I can reccomend the EBC yellow pads and EBC drilled & grooved disks.
They work very well.

Thumbs Up
 Only dead fish go with the Flow !  
Post #125836625th Mar 2014 9:02 am
Bobs

Thanks Chalky ... a nice to know ...

My new 'older' D3 Snigger is in its final throws of agreement/collection ....

Your comments were v interesting/informative and now on the to do list when they need replacing Bow down

Post #125836825th Mar 2014 9:06 am
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

im sure I read somewhere many years ago that the braking distance of the D3 was better than many other vehicles in the same class and also of those smaller/lighter
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #125837725th Mar 2014 9:26 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

The standard TDV6 setup is barely adequate, IMHO.

I had a few "moments" when slowing from reasonable speeds, the car just felt like it was not going to slow down. They gave very little confidence when braking, and had to plan your braking well in advance. Would not have liked to be in a position to have to use them in an emergency...

I could have gone for the tried and tested V8 upgrade. However, I was offered (and bought) a pair of Brembo calipers for not a lot of money, a good set of Drilled + Groove discs, and a bargain on a set of EBC Redstuff pads.
And being my company car, it acts as an advertising tool. The Brembo's do generate a lot of interest, both from forum members, and non-forum members

Now, when you press the pedal, you KNOW the car will stop

Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Last edited by Disco_Mikey on 25th Mar 2014 9:58 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #125838325th Mar 2014 9:38 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Re: brake upgrades just don't get it :-)

cmyers_uk wrote:
I have standard brakes , if i want to stop , i press em , if i want to stop quickly i press em hard. The minute i do that dry road , wet road etc , i exceed the capabilities of the tyres and the abs kicks in.....

Have to agree here.....really dependes how quick you have to stop (keep yer distance...!!!)

cmyers_uk wrote:
So what does V8 brakes or brembos actually give me apart from some bling or bragging rights.

the standard brakes to me are good when all wear parts re done....for approx 25 - 28 k miles wtith my journies & driving style...then things definateley fade away where you have to pressvery hard & the brake distance is extended...can be a bit scary...D3's as standard are underbraked...in a panic stop.
So being able to prevent this & maybe have a longer life - doesnt get toa scary stste is worth it if you have the option...I reckon I had the option when I replaced my calipers (front)....I have driven one with V8 brakes...there is a marked difference
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #125839025th Mar 2014 9:50 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 6 123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >