Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

sensible milage
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
DiscoJake

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Small split in turbo hose is common culprit for the power loss or maybe egr failing.
The history sounds good though from what you've said

Post #120214613th Dec 2013 9:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

What DiscoJake said regarding loss of power. Intercooler hose or EGR valves are prime culprits for this. If the EGR valves have been blanked, check the intercooler hose for splits/delamination on the inside. Turbo actuator may also cause a lack of power. Check that the ECU has been updated with the latest software updates as a module was added to exercise the turbo actuator when switching off the engine (to prevent seizing of the actuator arm).

Intercooler hose is about £40 for a LR rubber one plus 30 mins labour to fit. Silicone ones are a little more. Turbos are £825, though! Shocked

EGR valves should be blanked on a car of this age and is a similar cost but a slightly more involved job. Kits can be had for very little or as much as £45.50 for a BAS one.

Coolant sensor, I am not too sure on. Possible that the float in the coolant tank has become porous (common problem) and the previous owner disconnected it to prevent the "Low Coolant" warning on the dash. Doubt very much that this is linked to your lack of power.

The suspension message may be due to a number of things. It's possible a height sensor was disturbed during the arm replacement. It's also possible the air reservoir or an air bag has a leak. The dryer unit on the compressor may have a problem (unlikely if it was replaced this year). Fault codes will help here.

If you like the car, you may consider getting the fault codes read by somebody with the right equipment.

I like my S. Thumbs Up

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Last edited by Woolmeister on 13th Dec 2013 11:06 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #120217413th Dec 2013 10:25 pm
jobster

Netherlands 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

abigail wrote:
Jobster! You have a TR6. I'll race you in my GT6!!!!???
Any time! GT6 = nice wheels too! RLD Sump Guard
GVIF & rear camera
New FBH via Dan
BAS Remap with IIDTool

Post #120218513th Dec 2013 10:39 pm
abigail

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 3

Woolmeister that was VERY useful thank you! I can't thank you enough!
It could have a couple of £20 problems or it could have a knackered turbo and 2 knackered suspension bags or something.

Their man cleared the fault codes. I don't know whether this is like papering over the cracks. If it has a genuine fault presumably the fault code and warning light will come on again fairly pronto???

the ECU update also sounds pretty important! Mentioned in passing but sounds fairly important to me!

What would that kind of thing cost at a dealer? is it available elsewhere to a dealer?

The GT6 is pretty swift I must say. Frighteningly so in fact! I think you may have the edge with PI in your TR6 though!!
 hoc labor, hic opus.

Triumph GT6, 1970. Triple carb and gas flowed up to the eyeballs.
Landrover Discovery HSE
MKIV golf tdi. 

Post #120220613th Dec 2013 10:56 pm
abigail

Woolmeister wrote:
Check that the ECU has been updated with the latest software updates as a module was added to exercise the turbo actuator when switching off the engine (to prevent seizing of the actuator arm).

Intercooler hose is about £40 for a LR rubber one plus 30 mins labour to fit. Silicone ones are a little more. Turbos are £825, though! Shocked

this is becoming my biggest concern about this vehicle. L/R added in this module for a reason, I suspect they had some faults with early turbos and so added this in as a stop gap fix. If it hasn't had it then its turbo may have a reduced lifespan left in it. I suppose it would be covered by warranty as I'm buying this thing with 2 years warranty....
So I don't know what Im fussing about really!
 hoc labor, hic opus.

Landrover Discovery HSE
MKIV golf tdi. 

Post #120227314th Dec 2013 8:01 am
waterbuoy

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Morning Abi

Whilst the warranty may cover future failures, you have already identified that the vehicle seems to be less powerful than you would expect having test driven a few. Although I can understand your enthusiasm about buying a new vehicle, especially if you have been looking for so long, I can't help but think that the loss of power should be 'sorted' before you go any further with the purchase - especially as the farmer had noticed it previously. Tyres/wipers/cracked windscreens etc can all be sorted for a relatively fixed amount, but an issue like this can have the potential to go on and on (or not!).

Tony
 Currently 2009 Disco 3 SE, 2013 MY D4 HSE and 2016 D4 SE
Previously:
TD5 Defender 110 CSW (230k miles)
300TDi Disco 1 (289k)
4 RR Classics (300-350k each, 2 manual, 2 auto)
110 V8 CSW (220k)
S3 109 hi cap pickup (ex RN)
S2A 88 Safari SW with lpg conversion (bloody lethal) 

Post #120230714th Dec 2013 10:27 am
abigail

SO...

the plot thickens.

I still have a refundable deposit holding it.

It's been to AJD landrovers in Hitchin and had its ECU updated with the latest software.
Comments welcome.

I don't trust the salesman at ALL, he said it'd had a full check over at AJD. I rang AJD and they said they updated its ECU, and the chap took it away straight after. They DIDN'T check it over or drive it.
I don't trust the chaps at AJD either, they sounded very disinterested and frankly not the sort of tone of voice I would have trusted to work on my vehicle.

Now, i'm a pretty savvy buyer...and I'm aware that this vehicle is pretty good on paper. The right money, the right things have all been done, cam belts, suspension compressor etc.

I confronted the salesman and told him I didn't think he'd given it the rigourous check over I'd asked for. I said I was worried about its turbo. After this thread on here, i've discovered turbo hoses and ECU updates to keep the actuator mobile are common problems.
He's now said they've found a turbo fault and he's replacing it.

I'm tempted to walk away, but i'm also tempted by a savvy purchase. I know the sound of an engine and the feel of a vehicle as I race competitively and I do all the farm workshop work on landrovers, tractors etc. SO I'm confident in my own ear, but not the salesman.

I'm tempted to offer £1k less after they've done its turbo and see what they say. If not - to walk away.

Thoughts please gentlemen and ladies?
 hoc labor, hic opus.

Landrover Discovery HSE
MKIV golf tdi. 

Post #120461719th Dec 2013 12:33 pm
RootinTootin

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I suspect you know more about the workings of vehicles than the salesman! Thumbs Up Have another shot in it when the turbo is 'done' and see how you feel. If you still have niggling doubts, walk away with your deposit ( and watch the salesman trot behind offering a deal, hopefully).

Post #120463119th Dec 2013 1:15 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

Still sounds like a decent car for the money (especially with a new turbo). Maybe get them to replace the glow plugs as well? Whistle

Lot of posts on here about D3 glow plugs and how easy they are to change on these cars.

They are made from old Bic pens. FACT. Thumbs Up
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #120463419th Dec 2013 1:18 pm
abigail

whats the deal with the glow plugs then? why ask them to replace those? Surely they just warm the cylinders/mixture a bit pre ignition?

Would they affect the performance?

I thought they just helped things start. I replaced them in our disco, L200 and in my golf last winter and everything started so much better, as you'd expect.
 hoc labor, hic opus.

Landrover Discovery HSE
MKIV golf tdi. 

Post #120463519th Dec 2013 1:24 pm
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

For what it's worth, it sounds to be a perfectly functional D3 that has been well looked after, serviced and now has a new turbo.
Barring a real major disaster, what is the worst thing that can happen to it if you bought it??? EGRs can be blanked if they fail for little money, a replacement suspension pump can be gotten for a few hundred, turbo should be ok and pretty much everything else can be sorted for a small outlay of cash especially with the help of the forum experts.

I honestly can't see many problems unless you're very unlucky or you buy a lemon and those two can happen with any vehicle purchase. Rolling Eyes

Do it....................you know you want to. Thumbs Up
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #120463619th Dec 2013 1:24 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

The glow plugs will not affect performance, no, although they will have an impact on starting performance as soon as the temperatures start dropping below 0 if any of them have failed. There's a glow plug failure poll on here somewhere that I started a while back (including a method of testing them using a multimeter).

They seem to fail (like any serviceable part) but the problem with the glow plugs on a D3 is that they tend to seize in the cylinder head due to carbon deposits on the business end. As soon as you start attempting to unscrew them from the cylinder head, the carbon deposits prevent the glow plugs from turning in their threads any further and they shear off. Hence the reference to Bic pens. They are only M8 threads.

Some forum members have perfected ways of removing them but - more often than not - it's a body off job to remove the cylinder heads and remove the sheared, seized glow plugs from the head. Not an especially cheap job for a part that costs ~ £12 each (6 of them, of course).

I agree with Narpy. The turbo is probably one of the most expensive individual parts that will fail and you've done well to get a new one out of the garage (assuming it is a new one). What's the worst that can happen? Go for it.

Steve

Post #120464119th Dec 2013 1:33 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

Whilst I'm here, also worth checking that the brake servo recall (P017) work has been done (possibly not if the ECU had not been updated).

You can tell by the Heath Robinson brake pipe arrangement coming out of the spare battery cover. There's photos on here somewhere.

Steve

Post #120464719th Dec 2013 1:41 pm
Whistler

United Kingdom 

As a person who might very well buy a vehicle very like this, this is a very interesting read.
 Current drive Disco 2 "Humphrey" Dynachiped and off road prepped
Looking for a 2006+ D3 

Post #120466019th Dec 2013 1:58 pm
abigail

Any other recall work I should be aware of?

This IS getting an interesting read isn't it! I agree!
 hoc labor, hic opus.

Landrover Discovery HSE
MKIV golf tdi. 

Post #120469419th Dec 2013 2:30 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >