Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Pre long distance checks?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
blowpipe

England 

Get yourself some breakdown/accident cover!

Never had to call on it yet after six years of French holiday home ownership, but it will happen one day. We've used Voyager on an annual policy for years; worth a look for single trip but I haven't priced them against the competition recently tbh.

Other than that, just do the basic checks. Prepare for the journey as you would, normal stuff like making sure the kids are entertained, watered and fed will make the trip painless. Packed coldbags with picnics will save you time and a fortune at the service areas which will be busy in July.

We normally do Surrey to the other side of Toulouse in one hit, so it's doable in about 12 hours with a few short wee/lunch 'n fuel breaks.

EDIT: Just checked and the price for a 5 week single trip is the same as an annual policy, about £64! Terms and benefits look similar to AA for a fraction of the price.

Post #111883417th Jun 2013 9:52 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

plenty of fuses for engine bay and main fuses behind the lower glove box, might be worth buying the resistor for engine bay fuse box for the windscreen wipers....only a few quid each but knackered without em Thumbs Up

BTW DECENT HEAD TORCH is always a must, breaker bar and 2 ton jack to change yer own wheels and decent torque wrench. Thumbs Up

Post #111885017th Jun 2013 10:20 pm
blowpipe

England 

Yup, forgot those. Leatherman multitool in the glovebox, head torch and a f**koff LED searchlight job like a Lenser, essential.

Post #111887417th Jun 2013 10:55 pm
dave291

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks for the suggestions.

So, the list so far: toolkit, fuses, relays, torch, torque wrench, AA cover extended
 '06 TDV6 HSE, Java, Black Leather, Logic 7, Privacy, Steps  
Post #111891718th Jun 2013 7:30 am
stew 46

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

the 2000 miles I done in spain last month , my battery starter pack was Bow down used it the keep iphone charged and ipad Thumbs Up + the light on it was great when camping Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 -------------------------------------------------
if you cant hold on dont let go , it ill come in handy for something even if you never use it.
D3 SE 05,
110 s wagon 300 tdi SOLD
h top transit
crew cab transit
transit connect
ausa dumper, muck truck .
peljob 2.5 digger
06 L 200 crew cab 

Post #111892018th Jun 2013 7:36 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Don't forget to comply with French requirements.

You must carry at least one Warning triangle and at least one reflective jacket which must be kept within the
passenger compartment of the vehicle and must be put on before exiting the vehicle in an emergency/breakdown situation.

Avoid being stopped by the police to check your reflective jacket by storing it "in view", in may case on the back of the passenger's seat. This advice given to me by a gendarme acquaintance.

First aid kit & spare bulb set should also be carried.

Don't even think about using a radar detector, it's actually an offence even to carry one! Failure to comply involves a fine of up to 1,500 Euros and the vehicle and/or device may be confiscated.

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #111898518th Jun 2013 8:15 am
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

NJSS wrote:
Don't even think about using a radar detector, it's actually an offence even to carry one! Failure to comply involves a fine of up to 1,500 Euros and the vehicle and/or device may be confiscated.

NJSS

There seems to be an app though which is not forbidden, but I cannot remember its name.
I use flitsmeister for NL situations but there is something else for France.

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #111900518th Jun 2013 8:39 am
steveraspberry

United Kingdom 

dave291 wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions.

So, the list so far: toolkit, fuses, relays, torch, torque wrench, AA cover extended

Spare bulbs especially brake light ones and a spare brake switch. About £8 tops and can be the source of the dreaded "Christmas tree/ special programs off/limp mode " scenario. If it's not a brake light bulb (V cheap fix), next cheapest is the brake switch. Also, if you are changing the brake switch, be careful when you do as this topic shows:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic95407.html

Above all though, relax and enjoy the trip. As has been said before, 1500 miles will be easy in you car fella Thumbs Up
 My17 Volvo XC90 Inscription
MY15 Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian
RGK Tiga Fx Wheelchair,
Large Alsation called Abbs Smile
Medium blue Staffie called Piglet
Medium Alsation called Bailey Smile 

Post #111902118th Jun 2013 8:58 am
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Rolling with laughter
You know what?
I've been to southern France and northern Italy several times now, towing the caravan in that heat, three kids in the back.
So far, the D3 has never let me down, not the slightest flaw in all that distance and time.
I have a small toolbox in the caravan with a hammer and some pliers and that is all.

I agree that it takes only that to let something go wrong (knocking wood).

Come to think of it, I do have some spare fuses since a few months so something is bound to go wrong now... probably not electrics as I have those fuses Laughing .

Have a good trip Steve!!!

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #111904918th Jun 2013 9:47 am
Macpic

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

wvlenthe wrote:
NJSS wrote:

NJSS

There seems to be an app though which is not forbidden, but I cannot remember its name.
I use flitsmeister for NL situations but there is something else for France.

Wiljo

The app si COYOTE, availability on iPhone. They also sell the device separately, which for 12€ per month will warn you of what are now called "danger zones". There was a huge controversy about these in Grance a year back when the government tried to ban them, and they ended up finding an agreement with the manufacturers. They are fully legal, and have the great advantage of not only giving you warning of fixed radars but of mobile ones as well, as the COYOTE community sends updates to the rest whilst driving. The accuracy is extremely good and has sved my license a few times.
Should you choose not to rely on that, then be carefull ; whilst the fixed radars are forewarned by a road sign, the mobile ones are not. Some of the fixed ones are carefully "protected" by bridge pillars and the sort and will usually flash you from behind, so as not to spare our motorcyclists.

More info here : http://www.moncoyote.com/
English available at top right

Post #111907218th Jun 2013 10:44 am
nighthawk

Malta 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Longest trip I did in my D3 was a 7500 mile trip spanning 5 weeks in the middle of summer. Not a single complaint from the D3 except for the fuel filler flap which got stuck once (easily solved by locking and unlocking again with the fob).

I did give it a good service and a pretty good evaluation of many items subject to wear and tear (bushes, steering rods, brake pads and discs etc), gave things a good clean (bonnet catches, door sensors, battery connections etc). I did carry some basic tools and equipment with me (hammer, pliers, crimping tool, fuses, some length of different size wires, crimp terminals, a digital multimeter). I did not take any actual D3 spares with me though. Just took out some European breakdown cover and thought if it breaks down then I'll deal with the crap when I'm in it.

Just take out breakdown cover and go out there and enjoy it.

Might also be useful having a diagnostic tool with you if you afford it (I have an IID tool but didn't have it on my 5 week trip).
 Dennis

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham Blue 

Post #111908318th Jun 2013 11:22 am
dave291

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Just back from 1000 miles across France.

I have to say, the D3 was absolutely superb!

Due to French traffic, it did 12 hour (virtually non stop) slogs each way in 30 degree heat.

Everyone felt (relatively) refreshed and comfortable - more so than any other car I've owned (including Mercs, BMWs and Audis).

It even did 28mpg, despite traffic jams and 130kph wherever possible, and being fully loaded.

I was wary of taking an 8 yr old 94k mile Disco to foreign parts but never again.

Brilliant, brilliant car. I want to leave the 'road dirt' scars on it as long as possible but wifey wants it cleaning!
 '06 TDV6 HSE, Java, Black Leather, Logic 7, Privacy, Steps  
Post #114550719th Aug 2013 11:55 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >