Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

D3, 2 weeks in and the faults are coming....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
DiskoStew

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

They are called Mansbridge Motor Company and to be fair, other than the questionable issue of the 'service' they seem fine, responded to my email above straight away and booked it in over the phone for this Wednesday.

The warranty is printed on the invoice that we both signed at the time of the purchase.

It does have a years ticket but it may have been better if they had not stamped the book or done a rudimentary 'service' at all, I could have then factored that in to the price.

I hope it works out. They now have some free publicity out of it, whether it turns out to either the good or bad flavour, we'll see next week.

Darren

Post #109495427th Apr 2013 12:27 pm
DiskoStew

A bit of an update.....
This may just be a little bit of good news - the service book shows the service prior to the dubious 85k one being done at 79k in May last year. It is ticked in the book as an 'A' type service and it is noted that the timing belts were replaced at that point. So it may not have been too long ago (10 months/6000 miles) that this vehicle had a 'proper' service Smile.

However.... I have noticed the message process on the dash is not as described in the owners manual - turning the key to position 1 in the ignition does not bring up the 'countdown' to service distance. Nothing is displayed at all, not even after the 5 second delay. Only when the key is turned to position 2 is anything displayed:
Click image to enlarge

Even this is not as described in the manual. I see a clock symbol and 2 numerical digits, not a date at all. After a short delay the display reverts to the standard total and trip distance.

Any ideas anyone?

Post #109545228th Apr 2013 12:25 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Service needed in 29 days. Thumbs Up

Post #109545328th Apr 2013 12:28 pm
DiskoStew

DSL wrote:
Service needed in 29 days. Thumbs Up

Only 6000 miles since the last one though?

Post #109546128th Apr 2013 12:47 pm
fat bloke

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Did you roll the car ? As dashboard looks upside down....

Post #109550728th Apr 2013 3:11 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Service due every 15k miles or 12 months, whichever the sooner, but there are those amongst us who intend keeping our Discos for many years, myself included, who do a "half-life" oil & filter change - every 7.5k miles or 6 months.

You need to check with Mansbridge Motor Company exactly what they did, & does it comply with this:-

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...0miles.pdf

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #109554228th Apr 2013 4:13 pm
DiskoStew

fat bloke wrote:
Did you roll the car ? As dashboard looks upside down....

That's weird, it's the right way up on my phone??? Confused

Post #109584929th Apr 2013 8:39 am
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

In the PDF file that Nigel references, item 44 is "Reset service interval announcement indicator". This clearly wasn't done. It may be that they don't have the equipment to reset it.

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #109585229th Apr 2013 8:43 am
DiskoStew

Woolmeister wrote:
In the PDF file that Nigel references, item 44 is "Reset service interval announcement indicator". This clearly wasn't done. It may be that they don't have the equipment to reset it.

Steve

I agree with you Steve. I will get the chance to find out what they have and haven't done on Wednesday and then I will get a genuine LR service done on the vehicle whilst it is still under warranty.

Nigel - thank you for that link to the service pdf, very helpful Thumbs Up

Cheers,

Darren

Post #109585429th Apr 2013 8:50 am
DiskoStew

Update.....

Took the car in last Wednesday and.......

1. The smoke and burning smell from the front offside corner - The brakes were stripped and rebuilt. The guy said he could find nothing wrong or suspect other than they were brand new pads and that may account for the burning smell. Either way it hasn't happened again since.

2. The parking sensor - The offside corner sensor was shot. They didn't have a sensor on the shelf so they have sent it to me to fit myself. This was at my request as I didn't fancy another 160 mile odd round trip just for that. Apparently the corner sensors are easy enough to fit without even removing the bumper.

3. The service indicator - MMC confirmed their service was of the 'oil & filters' variety. I have now booked it in for a 120k 'B' service at a local LR indie called LRS Engineering near Halstead.

4. The 'coolant level low' message - The garage said they found a massive airlock in the system so they duly drained and refilled the system. They said it wasn't a porous float as the message would stay on all the time if the float had sunk.
However, since last Wednesday the message has returned a few times and there still appears to be an airlock as the header tank is empty until I unscrew the filler cap and then when the pressure changes the fluid comes back up somewhat. I don't know how to try and bleed it myself (I have tried to undo the bleed valve whilst the engine is running but it didn't do much other than let a little fluid out).

I'm not in the mood to drive it back but I am concerned that it has developed another airlock immediately after it was drained and refilled - underlying issue perhaps?

Anyway, I thought I would give you an update.

Cheers,

Darren

Post #110221911th May 2013 7:25 pm
tomtom86

There shouldn't be an airlock in the system big enough to empty the tank unless it is either using coolant or leaking it or it has had the system drained and not refilled properly (prior to you taking it back to them when they refilled it)

Post #110223011th May 2013 7:58 pm
DiskoStew

I agree, but more worrying is the fact that it developed another airlock directly after being drained and refilled.

I can get moderate heat inside the car if I turn the thermostat and blowers up to full but the engine temp needle does then drop below horizontal and I cannot see any puddles of coolant anywhere.

Post #110237012th May 2013 6:47 am
Dave T

England 

Anything out of the exhausts, steam? It may be worth a bottle of radweld but to be loosing that much doesn't sound good and do you really believe the air lock theory??????
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #110237112th May 2013 6:59 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MarkOne

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

There more chance that it has a leak in the top side of the system and it's losing coolant when it's pressurised, any wet spots in the engine bay?

Post #110237412th May 2013 7:16 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DiskoStew

No steam or wet spots in the engine bay that I can see. No steam out the pipes either.
Do I believe the airlock story? I don't know enough about cars to disbelieve them.

Maybe it's a pin hole somewhere? I guess it can be pressure tested when it gets serviced?

Cheers,

Darren

On a plus side - I did get the windows tinted yesterday and they look great!

Post #110254612th May 2013 3:10 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >