Hi Steve,
Thanks for your informative reply. Thumbs Up

Best Wishes,
Peter
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #7286069th Dec 2010 2:12 am
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

Just got off the phone to Gordon at 4-tech and it seems things have now moved on a bit regarding water contamination of the ATF in the gearbox.

My car has been suffering from the dreaded judders/unstable or surging RPM/jerky gearchanges since last August so decided to bite the bullet and contacted 4-tech to book a megaflush as we're headed Norwich way next Friday.

4-tech can now test for contamination. He can send you a sample bottle into which you drain a tiny bit of ATF from your gearbox, send it back to him and he'll do a test for contamination. He can also do it while you wait of course but the test takes about 90 mins.

If your ATF is contaminated, in addition to the Megaflush, 4-tech can now fit an external air-cooled transmission oil cooler, blanking off the one built into the radiator so eliminating any more contamination. Of course, you can opt to have the cooler fitted even if no contamination is present.

He also told me that this contamination issue is not confined to Land Rover - several other car manufacturers who use rads with inbuilt transmission oil coolers are beginning to experience the same problem on older cars. Seems the thin-walled aluminium coil built into the rad eventually becomes porous and allows water into the ATF Big Cry

Hope this info is of use to anyone else beginning to experience auto box judders etc. Thumbs Up
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #75956410th Feb 2011 11:46 am
Renton

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Wouldn't you be able to with your eyes see wether or not the oil is contaminated?
 CLUB ILLEGAL CAR WASHERS  
Post #75956810th Feb 2011 11:52 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Not really as it doesn't emulsify like engine oil and the ammount of radiator water in there is relatively small to cause the problem.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #75957510th Feb 2011 12:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

A quick update.

Gordon tested the ATF sample from my car and it was not contaminated Very Happy .

He then "megaflushed" the gearbox which took all of 20 mins.

What a difference - no more juddering, jerky gear changes or unstable RPM - the gearbox feels like new now. Thumbs Up

I'm hoping it stays that way for the next 70k miles Whistle

BTW - if anybody is looking to service their brakes in the near future and is looking for quality parts at a good price, give Gordon (4-Tech) a ring as he's just taken delivery of a load of brake components (discs, kevlar pads, sensors etc). I'm sure he said they were Bearmach products. MODS - if this infringes any advertising rules, please feel free to delete.
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #76475921st Feb 2011 9:31 am
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

only from experience recently, might want to consider the transfer box, get um to run the vehicle whilst up in the air and listen to the transfer box Thumbs Up

Post #76568022nd Feb 2011 11:06 pm
lee157

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

@Albourneboy,

Did you have the air cooler retrofit installed too? I'm interested in getting as much feed back on this modification as possible.

Lee

Post #76649624th Feb 2011 6:43 pm
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

No, I didn't go for the oil cooler kit at the time Lee as the flush was expensive enough (10 litres of ATF at £20 a litre is a bit Big Cry ) though I am considering it when I can scrape together enough cash to buy it. Crying or Very sad

Gordon tells me that they can be fitted quite easily by anyone who can wield a spanner Whistle through it does entail getting underneath the vehicle to do it as you have to remove the cover (or mantec plate!) below the radiator to get at the pipes.

He assured me it is straightforward if a little fiddly and can be done in 90 mins Whistle

Post #76676725th Feb 2011 9:36 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

I've got the kit, but not had a chance to fit it yet. But it does look pretty straight forward. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #76677625th Feb 2011 9:52 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
willyj

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Im going to be changing current d3 to one with less miles and a non Censored gearbox (same problem as thread!). Just wondering whether having fitted the new atf cooler would it invalidate any warranty work or should i use it till it starts to go and try and get them to fit new gearbox then fit new cooler?

Wil
 where theres a wil theres a way!

Series 3
V8 110 CSW
300tdi 110 csw
TD5 DCPU 

Post #76696225th Feb 2011 5:09 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

They may say it would invalidate the box as it's not a LR recommended item....

Personally I'd get it done anyway, what woulde you rather have, warranty that covers you mostly if it goes wrong in X years or a fix that stops it causing the problem in the first place!
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #76699825th Feb 2011 6:26 pm
SADISCOBOB

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Very interesting thread this. I will be fitting cooler to mine soon ( 2006 V8 ) as I'm getting close to the time period most seem to start the problem at. Have checked with ZF locally and they "don't fit to LR any more" - only LR dealers now !!! Soooooo, will be DIY again.
I have been offered the AT13LTA.1/2BSP kit from Kenlowe. I note some of you are using the RX1572 kit from Kenlowe and I am waiting for them to let me know the difference between the two. We have the added problem of 25 to 40 deg C ambient and an efficiency of 83% that at sea level for cooling so don't want to make a muck - up of it for the sake of a cooler size.
I will let you all know of progress and results and try to submit a 'photo stream of the job. Razz
Regards all
Bob
 Life always good with a Landy

2006 LR DISCO 3 4.4 V8 HSE
DISCO 1 2.8 TDi
DISCO11 TD5
RR CLASSIC 1980 3.5 V8 

Post #7697543rd Mar 2011 12:28 pm
SADISCOBOB

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

More info' to hand just now :- For Disco 3, in SA, Kenlowe do not reccomend AT13LTA ( same as RX 1572 ) if used IN PLACE OF EXISTING 'IN-WATER' RADIATOR oil cooler. ie : this size is meant for increasing the cooling capacity of the existing auto box oil cooler, in series with existing unit.
Obviously, for the purpose of negating water/glycol inclusion in the oil via radiator cooler, we need to replace existing system totally. Kenlowe has offered me the 25 and /or the 34 row unit cooler. I'm pretty sure I can fit the 25 row unit but must now check if I can get the 34 unit in - 330mm wide x 263mm high. Don't know if this is also good for you guys in the 'cool' north but I know some fellas here have fitted the smaller unit.
Keep you posted
Bob
 Life always good with a Landy

2006 LR DISCO 3 4.4 V8 HSE
DISCO 1 2.8 TDi
DISCO11 TD5
RR CLASSIC 1980 3.5 V8 

Post #7697903rd Mar 2011 1:59 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Banging Head just had the gear slip tonight at 9.40pm when coasting to a junction (around 15mph) with an empty trailer, then I lightly touched the accelarator and the revs shot up to 4000 rpm so like others I drove him back in command.

I've done over 430 miles today and 1000's of miles since the transfer box was replaced. After reading the above posts, recon we need to check for water contamination. Big Cry

Anyone know who and where I can get it checked asap? Whistle

Post #7706365th Mar 2011 12:08 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 7 of 16 <123 ... 678 ... 141516>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >