Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Body off to replace turbo?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Good news though, my body is'nt coming off for my turbo - So the dealers say anyway Whistle

Post #3956832nd Jan 2009 7:55 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Unlikely to be an issue if it did have too though Rolling Eyes

Its designed to come off easily.

Post #3957222nd Jan 2009 9:13 pm
ridgeback_moor

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

But at about 8 hours booktime to lift the body (from a recent post) it's a good thing it doesn't need to come off for 'routine' jobs like a turbo swap, for those of us who have to pay the hourly rate at a franchise or indie workshop. Almost £100/hour at my nearest, which makes jobs like this (and my forthcoming aircon comp change) quite painful Confused
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #3957712nd Jan 2009 10:07 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

1955diesel wrote:
I think this story must have leaked out of Land Rover. We had to do a lot of work to make the turbo removable in vehicle. During development the fitters used to just lift the body.

I reckon they lift the body off for anything to be replaced in the factory... Rear fuel pump belt, Turbo, brake pipes... Rolling Eyes

Quote:
davesimmons wrote:
Shocked how come so many turbos are failing, and what sort of miles are they lasting, also what are the signs that it is packing in Confused

DiscoStu wrote:
So many? I'm sure I've read about less than 10 on here - how many thousands of D3's are on the road?

Remember, you only hear the bad news on here Wink

Seen turbo's replaced as low as 20k, and as high as 90k. The part number for the turbo unit has been superceded many times. Only sign you usually get is a warning on the dash saying "engine system fault" and a lack of power at the same time.

As Stu says though, you only hear about the bad ones here Thumbs Up

Post #3958052nd Jan 2009 10:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MacLeod 313

Well as DiscoMikey says, mine was fine till one day I started and drove, thought the power was down as I was pressing the throttle futher to acheive same response. I cleared the fault by switching off, then it came back and there's no getting rid.

Post #3958162nd Jan 2009 11:02 pm
richh

United Kingdom 

no, just blood, sweat and tears and a fair few swairies, but it is do-able

Post #4172707th Feb 2009 10:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco_Mikey

richh wrote:
no, just blood, sweat and tears and a fair few swairies, but it is do-able

Done enough of them to get past the sweat and tears. Still the swearies though, when it draws blood Rolling with laughter

Post #4172927th Feb 2009 10:55 pm
Ocsid

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Disco_Mikey wrote:

Seen turbo's replaced as low as 20k, and as high as 90k. The part number for the turbo unit has been superceded many times. Only sign you usually get is a warning on the dash saying "engine system fault" and a lack of power at the same time.

As Stu says though, you only hear about the bad ones here Thumbs Up

Mine was at only 13k, and as you say it comes up with the engine system fault warning. In my case it came with a near total loss of towing power, whilst overtaking a column of lorries on an Autoroute. Not a nice situation to be left in, extremely frightening in fact.

I was told it was the variable vane actuation system jamming.
I would like to think its not a problem affecting many D3s but its beginning to look more than a normal random component failure. The population of failures here is not insignificant and the sourcing difficulties LR are having and had for mine begin to indicate a bigger issue. Lets hope the later series of turbos are on top of the issue.

Post #4173077th Feb 2009 11:39 pm
MacLeod 313

Mine was replaced with a production line take off, so lets hope is of the most modern and up to date variation. Running well now Thumbs Up

Post #4173107th Feb 2009 11:44 pm
SN

Turbo replaced at 25K on my last one - it had been niggling me on and off from Day 1 (and mile 3 Shocked ) - only one 'life-and-deather' in that time fortunately Neutral
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #4174058th Feb 2009 1:30 am
gilmore

England 

Out of interest, when its outside warranty, how much do dealers charge to replace a turbo?
cheers
rob
 All opinions expressed in this posting are my own and are not necessarily those of someone who knows what they are talking about.

Land Rover Defender V8, 50th Anniversary Edition
Mercedes ML350CDI
HM Moto CRE300X
Honda CRF250X
1974 Honda CB750K4
1975 Honda CB750K5
Ford Transit Custom (for the bikes) 

Post #4174218th Feb 2009 7:45 am
Disco_Mikey

I replaced a turbo about a week after Mac's was done, and there were no supply problems. Whistle Got it next day, in fact... But there have been supply problems previously. The part number for the turbo has been superceded about 5 times....

@ Ocsid - You have to remember, you only hear about the bad ones on here... Take a look at how many members we have, and how many people have had a turbo replaced. Its not that bad Thumbs Up

gilmore wrote:
Out of interest, when its outside warranty, how much do dealers charge to replace a turbo?
cheers
rob

Retail price on a turbo is around £900, and book time to change it is 5.5 hrs, plus approx an hour for diagnosis and engine managment downloads. But, no doubt a dealer will charge more than the 6.5 hrs, as its pretty difficult to do it in that time...
I would suggest going in, dropping your trousers and bending over before you ask for a price... Big Cry

Post #4174278th Feb 2009 9:32 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Is the turbo replacement feasible for a DIY home mechanic, or does it need IDS/Autologic?

As the vehicle ages, and becomes even less valuable than it already is, the thought of having to pay 1000's of hard earned for turbo replacements will do no favours to future saleability of the D3.

Anyone fancy doing a 'How To? Rolling Eyes

Post #4174548th Feb 2009 11:16 am
Disco_Mikey

Gareth wrote:
Is the turbo replacement feasible for a DIY home mechanic, or does it need IDS/Autologic?

As the vehicle ages, and becomes even less valuable than it already is, the thought of having to pay 1000's of hard earned for turbo replacements will do no favours to future saleability of the D3.

Anyone fancy doing a 'How To? Rolling Eyes

It is feasible, but ideally you would have a ramp, air tools etc. Can probably be done at the side of the road, but wouldnt be much fun, and would take a while...

A How to? We will see... Whistle

Post #4174708th Feb 2009 11:48 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Well, roadside spannering was never a cocktail party! I remember changing a gearbox on the S2a, without any special equipment other than a couple of strong mates to lift the thing out of the car. Them were the days Laughing

Post #4174738th Feb 2009 11:54 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >