Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

ISOFIX Britax Duo Plus - seat fitting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
eaglesrest

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
ISOFIX Britax Duo Plus - seat fitting

Hi, just fitted my daughters car seat in the back of my new disco 3 Very Happy r

It ratcheted in really well but the front of the seat seems to be pointing up at an angle somewhat and isn't flush with the base of the Disco seat. It's even more pronounced with the top tether connected.

Seems secure enough just looks a bit odd - anybody experienced the same issue? I notice a few peeps on here have the same seat but nobody's mentioned any problems.

Thanks

Post #3704417th Nov 2008 8:38 pm
Buckingham

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Is it in the recline position?

Post #3704477th Nov 2008 8:46 pm
lafona00

United Arab Emirates 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

i have 2 of those seats in mine.

I will have a look and tell you about it tomorrow
 Arno
No more LR... but a Toyo
Java Black Disco 3 XS Auto - MY2008 - Leather, heated seats.
Series 3 Def 90 - 1993 

Post #3704647th Nov 2008 9:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Same seat, sits flat in mine. As already asked, is the base sitting flush and the seat reclined or is the base lifted slightly ??
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #3704707th Nov 2008 9:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
eaglesrest

Thanks for the help. The child seat isn't reclined, but even when it is doesn't make any difference to the alignment of the base of the seat. It looks like the disco seat back needs to be a bit further forward. I'll try and add a pic to this post.

[/code]

Post #3706448th Nov 2008 11:01 am
Gazavich

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi eaglesrest, I have one of these seats it would seem that you might have the top
tether to tight pulling the seat back.

would suggest you recline the seat slightly then adjust the tether.
 HSE TDV6 Silver : "Avin it large"

www.lift-trucksolutions.co.uk 

Post #3706818th Nov 2008 1:44 pm
eaglesrest

Hi Gazavich,

Unfortunately it's in the same position even with the top tether disconnected. Weird.

I found this on a 4car long term test review - seems like the guy had the same problem with his seat. Cant make it out but could the same as ours - straps look the same:

http://www.channel4.com/4car/ft/land+rover/discovery+3/9594/2

Post #3707928th Nov 2008 8:09 pm
YeehawTwistyArms

United Kingdom 

Hi Eaglesrest,

We tested a number of car seats a couple of weeks ago including this one.The company we used said they would not recommend it because of the gaps either at the back of the seat or at the bottom depending how you fit it. This happened with a number of LR recommended Isofix car seats. As you say it's weird.

Cheers,

YTA

Post #3707968th Nov 2008 8:32 pm
sarumlight

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

This won't help anyone who's bought an ISOFIX seat already, but we bought the seat before the Discovery, and fortunately it fits well. The seat we have is the Maxi-cosi Priorifix. Although it looks odd, the leg at the front that braces it against the floor can adjust so that the back of the seat is firm against the backrest and it can't move.

Both this one and the Britax Duo Plus ISOFIX seat performed well in the tests that Which did - we might have bought either.

Was pleased to find the Disco had the ISOFIX brackets already installed - our Audi A4 was listed as having them, but it turned out they had been optional when we bought it and I was too tight to tick the box, so fitting the car seat became a bit expensive Embarassed

Post #3708168th Nov 2008 9:32 pm
NJF

We have exactly this seat and it fits fine. We don't use the top tether. Are we bad parents? Confused

Post #3708198th Nov 2008 9:40 pm
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I also have two Duopluses. They are run in a merc and the disco 3 with no top tether. Base sits flat and square in both cars and can be pushed hard up against the squab/seat back join. I have tried swinging on them when in place lots and do check everytime I put them in and out and they do not move.

Never really worked out what the top tether would do unless it is purely to stop the seat top going forwards under severe deceleration.....but in this case if it is solidly secure at its base the seat can't rotate anyway therefore it can't move??!!

Confused
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #37129110th Nov 2008 9:23 am
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

We also have two of these seats (called Römer Duo Plus here in Spain). We use one in the D3 and the other in a Golf Mk V.

In the Golf it sits flush to the seat base, but the top tether fouls the parcel shelf (nothing that a jigsaw won't fix when I get time Laughing ).

In the D3 it doesn't quite sit flush unless you unhook or loosen the top tether (there is a gap of around 15mm at the front of the seat) . I prefer to keep the top tether in place for a extra security as I'm assuming that in the event of a sudden deacceleration it will move less - without the top tether the seat could rotate downwards compressing the foam on the seat base - although only a very small amount.

To be honest I would not worry about sticking these seats in a car without top tether mounting points as it is a very strong seat and with the ISOFIX it is held very securely.

I hope I never have to find out how secure it is though Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #37129910th Nov 2008 9:41 am
eaglesrest

Thanks that's reassuring. It does feel very secure but doesn't look it. Strange that some have them sitting fine and others it doesn't - must be variations between D3 seat and the car seat.

I'm going to keep the tether on I think - it's supposed to make it more secure but does mean there's more to do if your taking the seat out on a regular basis. You have to get in the boot and unstrap it.

At least I know it's not something I'm doing wrong, I don't want to risk it when it comes to safety!

Post #37146910th Nov 2008 2:57 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I wonder if the difference is due to having 5 or 7 seats? Although you have leather seats, I have cloth ones (7 seats) and the gap is less.

BTW - I can honestly remove and fit these seats in less than 15 seconds in the D3 - no need to get into the boot.

Fitting:

Place baby seat on D3 seat. Release D3 seat back catch and fold forwards a little bit. The top tether can then be passed through the headrest posts and hooked on the mounting point behind the seatback.

Click D3 seatback back into place. Extend ISOFIX mounting points on baby seat and clip into place.

Removal is the reverse. The trick is to fold the seatback forward a few inches to allow the top tether to hook into the mounting point. When you click it back into place it takes up the slack.

I hope this helps Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #37148010th Nov 2008 3:07 pm
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Do you push the seat in on its isofix as far as it will go once it is clipped in?

I'll take a photo of mine but I am pretty sure there is a lot less of the ISOFIX bar showing when secured with the base on the seat squab. I know if it is not far enough back as it rattles incessantly with no child in it.

....where are the instructions.......... Whistle
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #37149610th Nov 2008 3:23 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >