simonsi

New Zealand 

Jim, has it passed an MOT with the valves removed or not needed to yet? Thanks
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #27275814th Mar 2008 8:53 pm
j,moore

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Atacama SandDiscovery 3

thinking the same as you, after the alterations i took it to my local mot man and put it on the machine, it read a very little change to normal and so would pass normaly whith no problems. but i must admit it isnt 3 years old yet and so it hasnt had an mot yet but i dont expect it to fail. Thumbs Up

Post #27276214th Mar 2008 8:59 pm
simonsi

New Zealand 

Cool, I assume removing the valves causes no errors to be logged???

Any chance you could post pics as to how you blanked them off and removed the butterfly valve?
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #27279314th Mar 2008 9:51 pm
simoniz

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Well just got mine back from stealer - EGR's changed after long back order on parts. MY D3 now drives like a dog!!! no stumbles at low revs but no power pick up throughout.
To add insult to injury dealer says 1 of my horns is not working- new unit needed and guess what PART ON F Censored IN BACK ORDER.

Back to dealer 2 moz for an interesting explanation session

Evil or Very Mad

Post #27281214th Mar 2008 10:15 pm
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Off Topic

my back order list has included, head unit, amp (twice), seat bases x 2, EGR Valves and an aircon pump. They did have all the other stuff in stock Embarassed
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #27281614th Mar 2008 10:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
j,moore

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Atacama SandDiscovery 3

hi, i will try and post some pics sometime this week. Thumbs Up

Post #27297515th Mar 2008 9:35 am
studiscoS

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Can you lets know whereabouts the EGR valves are. Do you have to get at them from underneither the car?

Post #27341016th Mar 2008 2:20 pm
ridgeback_moor

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I had a look under the bonnet this morning as I'm suspecting EGR problems with mine at the moment - not complete loss of power but not much pull (and excessive 'detonation/knocking') below about 2500 rpm, then it takes off as the turbo kicks in. Anyway, I think the EGRs are either side of the engine about 4 inches below the level of the top plastic cover - they both have grey electrical connectors, and are about 2 inches in diameter. The back of mine says "SAGEM PBT-GF30" on the plastic cover. It looks like the electrical actuator part (grey) of the valve is fixed by 3 torx screws. It looks quite hard to access the bottom screw, and i'm not quite sure what it will reveal if these are removed. Having had problems with EGRs before on other vehicles, I've found that often it's a problem of a sticky carbon build up in the valve assembly, preventing full free movement of the valve, and registering a problem in the ECU as the valve is not in the commanded position. This is probably the case for many of the 'failed' valves that have been replaced by LR, but with mine potentially only needing a clean (or blanking off) I'm reluctant to buy 2 new ones and the labour to fit them especially as it's out of warranty now. So, j,moore - I'd be very interested to hear more about what you've done to yours. Cheers.

just found this which may be of interest: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_gas_r...el_engines
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #27441018th Mar 2008 10:37 am
al cope

England 

well I thought mine had been fixed, but it turns out dealer only replaced left hand one - yep- you've guess it, problem back again after 3 weeks. into LR on thursday for "diagnosis" - expecting "yes sir, EGR value issue, parts on backorder". Add those to the steering rack we're waiting for then.

I'd be keen to know more about the EGR blanking

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #27461918th Mar 2008 5:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The dealer just told me they have a software fix for the EGR valve issue.
They have recalabrated so the light comes on later. Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #27483418th Mar 2008 10:41 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

ridgeback_moor wrote:
The back of mine says "SAGEM PBT-GF30" on the plastic cover

Sadly that code is probably the plastic type (PBT=polybutylene terephthalate), and the GF30 refers to the glass fibre mix to re-inforce it Sad
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #27532119th Mar 2008 9:55 pm
Ian 2206

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Caver, mine went in to have the software update to reset the valve as your post suggests, however it didn't work. So I'mm still waiting for a new valve after all this while. This is what I call poor Customer Service and poor technical support from Land Rover.
 D3 HSE, Stornoway grey, 2007 MY, side steps, privacy glass, door protection strips.  
Post #27552520th Mar 2008 10:18 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The techo at the dealers said he thought it was a stupid idea too.
The idea of cleaning as part of service has merit. It would beat them having to replace all the time.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #27555920th Mar 2008 10:48 am
al cope

England 

so back from the stealers, and yep, the right ones now knackered. Why oh why didnt they change both Twisted Evil

on back order, so cant do the blanking mod until dealer has replaced this one.

I guess you could always just take the butterfly valve out, at least then if an EGR fails, you havnt just got exhaust gas being pumped into the inlet tract, you have still got some clean air, so the loss in power wouldnt be as significant.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker

Post #27562320th Mar 2008 12:14 pm
al cope

England 

sorry - what thickness steel did you use for the blanking plates 2mm - 3mm? Is that thick enough - stainless or mild OK?

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #27729925th Mar 2008 6:39 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >