Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

EGR Valve and Engine Caution Warning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Hobgoblin

Location: As always, in the sh*t, it's only the depth that varies

Spain 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

I've not had the yellow light on yet but I have had the display show 'ENGINE SYSTEM FAULT' 'ALL SPECIAL PROGRAMS OFF', this has happened on 3 occasions but only when towing, once with caravan and twice with horsebox, each time turned off ignition and restarted engine and everything seems ok. Service department at the dealers seems to think I may have an intermittent turbo fault.

Weird bit, just had Turbo Chip out to do the business, absolutely no change what so ever, so I'm off to Diagnos in Oxford tomorrow to see if they can find out why, Alistair from TC seems to think it could be EGR valves possibly, another weird one that he has never seen before is, driving when my engine is cold, the revs stay high by this I mean even if I use command shift to select 6th at 60 mph the engine is doing at 3000 rpm, as soon as the engine comes close to normal running temp the speed stays the same but the revs drop to what I would call normal.
Anyone else experienced this?
 I'm not as good as I once was........but I'm as good once as I ever was.  
Post #2565017th Feb 2008 6:03 pm
Bigboz

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
EGR Valves

My D3 is in the dealer at the moment with the same problem... loss of power at low revs, then takes off at +2000 revs.... called out land rover assisst and the techy said ....mmmmm looks like a problem with your EGR valves and promptly booked it in to the dealer. He did however give the top of the valves a tap with a socket extension and it did slightly improve the power. Dealer asked me if the car has been chipped ( which it hasnt ) and are still scratching their heads looking for a solution.....? I don't like the sound of the parts being out of stock.... anybody out there with an update? Rolling Eyes

Post #2569398th Feb 2008 4:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Black and Yellow

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Lost about 6 of our D3's (fleet). Worst one has been away for 3 weeks now. Parts keep arriving (allegedly) but the wrong side (left and right versions).

Not happy bunny. Evil or Very Mad

Post #25852712th Feb 2008 6:12 pm
lr1

United Kingdom 

Looks like my EGR valve has packed up yesterday, given the symptoms , car is booked in for diagnostic next week.

If the part is in short supply I am going to see if I can make a blanking plate to fit in the meantime.

I will talk to the dealer to see if I can work out how to make a template for one.

Post #25861212th Feb 2008 8:47 pm
cibja

Spain 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi

Next Monday will be one MONTH with my car ( D3) on the dealer to change both EGR valves. I am really very dissapointed with LR Client Service, because it is not usuall that they need one month to supply spare parts, moreover with a car under guaranty

But this is not the only problem. I need one off road car, and they have given me one VW Golf, I must phone them each week to ask for my car, nobody from LR Spain has called me at least to apologize. It is a sume of facts that makes me feel angry and that will sure take effect when I need to replace my car for a new one. I will searioslusly think about haveing another LR. Of course when I have my car back I will make one official claim to the Client service.

It is not only to sell cars of 50.000 eur, but giving also a quality/premium post service. I think this is a great mistake from LR, that damage it's image and prestige. Of course I assume that if I were David Beckham with my RRS Supercharged Black I would not had one Golf during this month. Sure LR Spain let me another RRS.

I hope this week is all solved, but the damage is already done.

¿ How is it possible they do not have enough EGR Valves? It is incredible for me

Best regards
 Thanks all

cibja 

Post #25879413th Feb 2008 7:34 am
Hobgoblin

Location: As always, in the sh*t, it's only the depth that varies

Spain 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

Hobgoblin wrote:
I've not had the yellow light on yet but I have had the display show 'ENGINE SYSTEM FAULT' 'ALL SPECIAL PROGRAMS OFF', this has happened on 3 occasions but only when towing, once with caravan and twice with horsebox, each time turned off ignition and restarted engine and everything seems ok. Service department at the dealers seems to think I may have an intermittent turbo fault.

Weird bit, just had Turbo Chip out to do the business, absolutely no change what so ever, so I'm off to Diagnos in Oxford tomorrow to see if they can find out why, Alistair from TC seems to think it could be EGR valves possibly, another weird one that he has never seen before is, driving when my engine is cold, the revs stay high by this I mean even if I use command shift to select 6th at 60 mph the engine is doing at 3000 rpm, as soon as the engine comes close to normal running temp the speed stays the same but the revs drop to what I would call normal.
Anyone else experienced this?

Further to the above; went to Diagnos in Oxford, arrived about 11:30am, saw Matt and we took it out for a test drive and he considered that it didn’t seem to have the performance of a standard D3 never mind a tuned one Sad , at this stage they were about to go to lunch and invited me along to the local golf club where we had a great time and laugh on the driving range once I could get the balls to go in the right direction Whistle . Anyway, after lunch got busy with the car, because it didn’t seem to have the performance of a standard it was decided to re-flash the ECU back to standard tune, out for another test drive, the improvement was quite dramatic so back to Diagnos to re-install the tune up, the improvement now was stunning particularly in the mid range Mr. Green , speaking then to Andrew, who I am told is ‘The boffin’ it was believed that the original program installed by LR was somehow corrupt which not only disallowed the tune up to make a difference but also hampered standard performance, they also couldn’t understand why the dealer didn’t re-flash the ECU when they had it in Confused , instead the dealer simply cleared the fault codes then road tested it to try to recreate the fault, despite being told that the fault only occurred whilst towing, oh, and on the so called road test took it under such a low bridge that they had to lower the suspension, but forgot about the CB antenna attached to the roof rack and subsequently broke it, got a nice new Wilson 1000 out of them though so not too bad a result Smile .
I feel I must congratulate Matt, Andrew and the rest of the Diagnos team for the entertainment, time and service and give them a BIG THANK YOU!! Bow down I know they read this forum, so to let you know, up to now the car seems to be running great, have done a trip to London with no issues, have towed the horse box around last weekend, no issues, so I’m quietly confident that the engine fault issues could have been due to the corruption in the initial programming (touch wood). And to cap it all the fuel consumption has gone from around 30 mpg to around 36 mpg Thumbs Up .
 I'm not as good as I once was........but I'm as good once as I ever was.  
Post #25982915th Feb 2008 4:14 pm
al cope

England 

Mine hasnt had any warning lights come up, but has lost power a few times, and fault codes indicated EGR vales, both of which were replaced on Wednesday as part of 45k service. Dealer didnt seem to have any issue getting the valves.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #25990415th Feb 2008 6:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lr1

United Kingdom 

Hi,

Which dealer replaced the valves?

Thanks

Post #25993015th Feb 2008 6:54 pm
al cope

England 

Hereford LR

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #25993515th Feb 2008 7:17 pm
ridgeback_moor

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Can anyone explain where the EGRs are located please? I think 1 or both of mine may be causing trouble looking at the symptoms other are experiencing, and would like to try cleaning it out before letting the dealer loose on it. I know they do get 'gunked' up so it would make sense that a lot of these problems are caused by valve sticking , and it's not a complicated mechnism so not too much to go wrong (assuming it's hardware and not software). A picture of the location would be really useful Very Happy

Post #27249814th Mar 2008 11:59 am
studiscoS

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I would also like to know where the EGR valve is so I can do the same. I found some info that explains the general operation EGR valves.

www.autoshop101.com/

What we all need is a Haynes Manual, see my other post on this. If we all request one then Haynes might get on with writting one. Rolling Eyes

Post #27254414th Mar 2008 2:04 pm
j,moore

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Atacama SandDiscovery 3

hi, i have been reading all the posts left on here about egr valves whith great intrest and am amazed at some of the answers. as i understand it an egr valve recurculates exhaust gasses to lower emisions. they are fed through a cooler so that they are cool when they enter the air intake other wise it would be a waste of time intercooling the intake air for the engine. the valve opens and closes in acordinance whith the ecu to maintain a low emision output across the entire rev range and are only fully closed during heavy aceleration. there is also a butterfly valve in the air intake whitch opens and closed in acordinance whith the egr valves in order to equalise the air ratio entering the engine. all the above is efectivly smothercating the engine. if you close off just the egr valves you will as someone pointed out, experience slight power reduction but this is because the butterfly valve is still working and efectively reducing the flow of induction air, so this also has to be removed. if you fit egr blanking plates and remove the butterfly valve in the air intake properly you will experience a very slight but noticable increace in torque and responsiveness and a very little better fuel economy, and to date (16000miles on) no side efects or problems. but i must point out that in some engine manufacturures workshop manuals they state that tampering, removing or modifying any emission control system is ilegal although i do not know if this is true. Rolling Eyes

hope this all helps, regards, jim Thumbs Up

Post #27263414th Mar 2008 5:46 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Jim, have you blanked the egr's on your D3?

Post #27267014th Mar 2008 6:19 pm
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I would be out of place if I added to, or argued against others technical knowledge on these matters, but I will add. Mine was absolute loss of power. As witnessed by the Eddie Stobbart lorry I "nipped" out in front of . . . . .

Shocked

The LRA chap who wanted to test drive it, drove a massive 10 Meters before he put it back on the drive - it was knackered, and then cleared, then failed again without warning.

Fooooook that, I refused to drive it again until fixed Thumbs Up
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #27270914th Mar 2008 7:10 pm
j,moore

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Atacama SandDiscovery 3

yes i have, it has done 16000 miles or so since and ive had no problems. but you have to remove the butterfly valve or you will get problems whith power loss. i found this out a few years ago on lorrys and construction equitment and it seams to ring true whith the td5 and tdv6.
regards, jim.

ps, forgot to mention before that if an egr valve sticks open, it alows a large amount of exhaust gas into the air induction side, this is what causes the massive failure of power. whitch every one is experiencing.
hope this helps Thumbs Up

Last edited by j,moore on 14th Mar 2008 8:53 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #27275414th Mar 2008 8:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >