DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Considering a D4 & Some Questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
robpenrose

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Considering a D4 & Some Questions

Hi,

Im considering getting a D4 for my next car.

Ive had a couple of Land Rovers previously, but have a few questions which i hope some of you may be able to answer.

My plan all being well is to get a D4 that will become my all in one tool, that i can do everything from. I currently have a 2 seat BMW, and its starting to restrict things a bit. I think ideally, if the D4 proves to be reliable, i will keep it for a decent amount of time, and just hammer the miles onto it.

Now having owned a Td5 Defender 90, and Td5 Disco 2 ES, i know about Land Rover reliability. I never worried about being left stranded in the defender. As it was all mechanical, you could tell when things started to wear out and i got them sorted. I was only really let down once when the clutch master cylinder went, but it gave me fair warning and i didn't get it changed in time. Of course, i could have driven with the clutch, but i was in Manchester and needed to get back to Cornwall, so a truck was the order of the day. I owned that from 40K-90K.

As everyone like a picture: Defender when sold

Click image to enlarge

Now with the Discovery, i always felt it was a bit fragile - Mainly the ACE suspension and auto gearbox. I moved from the Discovery to Defender. I got the odd warning light coming on, which caused me to fall out of love with it a bit. It never broke down though to be fair. I owned it from 110-130K on the clock.

So i owned them when i was a bit younger, and didn't depend on them as much. I need a vehicle which is dependable, and won't leave me stranded regularly, if at all. I don't mind things wearing out and needing replacement, but i cant be doing with the car not working, or leaving me stranded somewhere. I work away a lot, so if the car breaks on the way to site or while I'm away working, its a real problem. My Z4 so far has been very reliable and its doesn't feel fragile. It gets me to work quickly and home quicker when required.

So if i was on an unrestricted autobahn with a D4, would cruising along at 90 be OK, it would it be struggling or a bit to hard on it? For example my old Defender was happiest at about 60mph. It would do 70 fine, but it sounded like it was struggling a bit, so i generally kept it around 60 when i wasn't in a rush!

Finally i live in Surrey/SW London near Walton-On-Thames. Where could i get it maintained? I haven't been able to fine any good recommendations of independents etc. I used to use West 4x4 in Hampshire when i lived/worked near them, and i found them very good, but its too far now.

So is a D4 the right car for me? Thinking HSE or the right XS. Probably go for a 6 spd as i don't really want to tie up 25-30K in a car at the moment for an 8 speed.

The only thing that puts me off is my dad had a terrible time with a RRS TDV8 and it had endless problems. In the end it went back to the garage for a refund after a year. He is telling me to avoid the D4/Land Rover.

Last edited by robpenrose on 27th Jan 2016 4:56 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #160025527th Jan 2016 3:56 pm
PJHUM

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Know how you feel. I never had the courage to buy a 'sophisticated' modern LR- despite numerous simple ones (still run an 80"). Always stuck to modern Japanese stuff which never misses a beat. (still run a couple of scoobies)

Really fancied a D4 and last year treated myself to a MY13 XS which now has 48K on it. It has been flawless and never missed a beat.

it has all the character/utility/toughness of my old series vehicles with decent power, refinement and (so far) absolute reliability. Finish is flawless. A world apart from RRC and earlier Discoveries in my experience (mended, welded & driven a few despite not owning them properly).

Just my two penn'orth...
peter

Post #160031627th Jan 2016 4:53 pm
Mr.Tom

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

90 in a D4 is fine, you only really notice some increased wind noise. 110 it is noticeable (on autobahn) and it will go a little quicker
 Sill protection - LED internal lights - LED reverse lights - boot liner - Dog Guard - Rock sliders

MY12 D4 HSE - been and gome
MY16 D4 Landmark 

Post #160037527th Jan 2016 5:37 pm
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

My wife tells me 90 is no problem Rolling Eyes
 Andy

Post #160045627th Jan 2016 7:31 pm
jonno1

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Guy Salmon Thames Ditton. Superb service and cheaper than you might think.

Post #160046127th Jan 2016 7:34 pm
RH15 LEW

Wales 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

90 tp a 100 is no problem on the autobahn, did it last year with 4 people and a bootfull of luggage Thumbs Up

Post #160046327th Jan 2016 7:36 pm
JonM

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

We cruised across Germany at 115mph this summer with bikes on the carrier on the back. No problem, no effort, foot nowhere near the floor. Very little wind noise, felt perfectly stable even on AT tyres.

It felt as though it would have been happy to go much quicker but SWMBO was driving and wouldn't put her foot down any more. Rolling with laughter
 MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price! - So good I bought another!
MY2012 D4 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - retired to a new home

Post #160048327th Jan 2016 8:02 pm
Pedros

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Being a previous owner of two TD5 Discoveries, I can sympathise with your reliability issues. I had one with all the extras, ACE, two showers (AKA sunroofs), air suspension (AKA farty cushions), all of which went wrong. And then a simple sprung one with a solid roof and normal roll bar that was great and I suspect still going strong.

It's very easy to get a rep for unreliability and very hard to shed it. My D4 and the vast majority of them that I know have been excellent. Don't get me wrong, they are complicated beasts and the odd glitch is always a possibility, but no worse than any other make. Land Rovers it seems, from about 2009/2010 onwards are different beasts than before.

As for it being a jack of all trades, well that's the Disco's forte. Room for 7 adults, or 5 with piles of luggage space, swift enough and comfortable enough to cross continents and there's always that off road ability that isn't surpassed by any of the Jap stuff, in fact not surpassed by anything other than a Defender I'd say, which may not be used off road, but serves still to keep you safer on the tarmac.

Post #160057427th Jan 2016 9:48 pm
robpenrose

Thanks for the additional information. Good to know they are fine to cruise at high speed.

So if I was to purchase a 6 speed with around 60-70k on the clock are there any maintenance items which I should expect? From what I have read, a 2009-2010 would be coming around to the belts needing a change. What's the current cost for this? Don't understand why they are not chains! My current Z4 and the Td5s are/were chain driven! Noise maybe? I've also read some buses/arms may need replacing. If not already completed, a gearbox flush?

Post #160067728th Jan 2016 6:23 am
Fitzy73

My 2010 D4 is due to have its 7 year belts service done in a couple of weeks and I have been quoted £1,205 by my local main dealer.

Long story, but I was expecting it to be a 6 year service and they quoted £950 for that as well.
 Andy

Post #160068028th Jan 2016 7:18 am
robpenrose

So the belts are £1,200 and then you need a six year service at £950, or does the belt service cover that part as well? Surely they don't need a £2000+ service?

Post #160073828th Jan 2016 10:17 am
robpenrose

jonno1 wrote:
Guy Salmon Thames Ditton. Superb service and cheaper than you might think.

Ok thanks for the info. They are close to me. Are they the only option then?

Post #160074028th Jan 2016 10:19 am
CFB

United Kingdom 

I've had a couple of TD5 D2's and they were by far the most unreliable LR's I ever owned, head gaskets, oil in the ECU loom , air suspension problems, leaky fuel pressure regulator, noisy crank pulley and on went the list.

The D4 is the ultimate all rounder, great on and off road and supremely comfortable and relaxing to drive. I have a MY11 6 speed and am happy with it, the box is probably not as slick as the 8 speed but then I have never driven one to compare! I think you just have to be realistic in that it will be an expensive vehicle to maintain but there really is nothing else like it on the market.

Post #160076728th Jan 2016 10:49 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Fitzy73

Apologies, I didn't explain that very well.

£950 was the quote for a complete 6 year service due to extra fluids and oils being changed. Whilst the £1,200 for the 7 year service includes the belt and whatever else needs servicing.
 Andy

Post #160080028th Jan 2016 11:32 am
robpenrose

Ah ok, thanks for the clarification. That makes sense now!

So if I get one and it needs a service, it will either be the 6 year approx £950 or seven year at £1200.

Umm, Best Buy one with a bit of time to run before the next service then!

I'm not too worried about the cost of maintenance. I currently run a BMW M car, which are known to be fairly expensive. Hopefully I won't find a Discovery much worse in that respect. It's just I don't want an unreliable car. Hopefully I can find a decent one, and not a Friday afternoon car!

Post #160088228th Jan 2016 3:40 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >