Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Considering a D4 & Some Questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

From what I have seen on here, the D4 does seem to be more reliable than the D3, so I am sure you will be fine.

I have had my 2010 one for two years next month, I purchased it at 65,000 miles and it is now on 83,000. I have had two instances of restricted performance, one cleared on its own (the day I collected it), the other didn't and required work under warranty on the turbos.

It has only really let me down once so far (although with restricted performance it is extremely slow), that was when a brake servo problem didn't allow the car to know I was pressing the brake pedal, so wouldn't start, but the AA got it going and an update at the dealers solved the problem.

I really dislike my dealer, but the car is fantastic and it still makes me smile every time I see it or drive it, much like a 110 I drove for many years.
 Andy

Post #160092628th Jan 2016 5:53 pm
Robert SausageTrousers

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 4

I've had my 2010 about 6 months and it's been great, I had a crank sensor issue within a week or so of buying it which was unfortunate but it was sorted quickly through warranty, other than that it's been great and I do a fair few miles!

^^ Off topic, but Fitzy I see you're in Truro and have an IID tool, I don't suppose you'd mind pairing a key for me would you? Obviously I'm happy to pay you for your time Very Happy

Post #160093228th Jan 2016 6:18 pm
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Hello Robert, I would certainly be happy to help but I am not sure I can.

My IID tool is locked to my D4, so whilst I believe I could read fault codes for you I don't think I can do any setting changes without buying an additional licence from GAP and adding your D4 to the tool.

As far as I know the only other option is a member with a Pro version as they allow access to all models.

If anyone knows any different then I am happy to help. Another option might be Woody32 as he now has a Pro version and is extremely helpful.
 Andy

Post #160099228th Jan 2016 8:22 pm
Robert SausageTrousers

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 4

Ah, OK thanks very much anyway, much appreciated!

Post #160132629th Jan 2016 5:21 pm
mr.t

United States 2010 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteLR4

Rob,

I have had both ends of the D4 spectrum.

Brand New D4 Landmark in 2011 - driven hard for 25000 miles as a company car chasing all over the country... only problem was a wiper switch that was dicky from the factory..
Bosses wife got it and put another 15k on it and no issues apart from she kept flattening the battery by leaving interior lights on.

I now bought a 99k mile LR4 V8 HSE, i have driven it for 6k miles and it's only problem is a weep of water form the water pump (known V8 issue) it is still like new.
(One owner full LR SH)

Friend had two LR3's and had 10 garage trips between them, he swapped for a D4 and he has the same experience as me.

Good luck, IMO full LRSH makes a difference...
 LR4 HSE 5.0 V8 Alaska White
LR4 HSE 5.0 V8 Nara Bronze (Gone)
D4 Landmark SDV6 Black(Gone)
Velar 240 S Eiger Grey
FLTRXST

Post #160137329th Jan 2016 6:30 pm
Matts3

United Kingdom 

I've just ran a 2009 model D4 for a year. Never let me down once, and it worried me when I was initially looking to purchase one.
Get a well looked after, serviced and ideally personal car, and I reckon they're a great all rounder.
Routine maintenance was a touch harder to swallow, but most of that was down to my having to have my cars in first class condition, and not having to compromise with any niggles.
I replaced discs and pads, but then a faulty calliper and rear epb shoes pushed that bill to a grand.
Front wishbones were just starting to knock too, so replaced them as well at £800.

3 months later I've decided I want to go back to something more sporty and petrol.

I've just let go a very well serviced and maintained car, but whilst it was a good all rounder, dynamically it just didn't set me alight.

I guess the point of my post is that reliability is good but ongoing consumable maintenance can get a little tiring on the 5 year old plus models.

I'd also add I was initially looking to go with a 2012 D4 when I put mine up for sale, but then spotted Audi were running a 2 yr warranty on used cars. I drove an S5 sportback and instantly fell back in love with that sort of vehicle, having had 3 Audi S variants over the past 10 years.
Slightly less money than a D4 of the same age but with considerably less mileage too.

Post #160153029th Jan 2016 10:37 pm
robpenrose

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Yes I understand your point Matt. I replied to your thread about your D4 to see if you wanted a swap as it looked a cracking car.

I understand your point about maintenance. I guess the price point/age point will potential be expensive until it rounds into year 8 where the service regime will reset? I'm used to paying £500+ VED and the usual consumables of performance cars. Floating disk brakes are eye wateringly expensive so hoping to find the D4 not majorly more expensive if at all.

I'm hoping to keep the car long term, so hope the running costs will even out a bit over the years.

The other vehicles I was considering were Audi RS4 (b7), BMW M5 touring (5.0 V10) and C63 Estate (6.2l V8) but they all seem to have their issues, and I don't think they are as useable as a D4, even if they are potentially more exciting! The fuel tank range of the cars was also a turn off as the Z4 is bad enough, needing to fill at around 250 miles.

Im really put off by VAG cars too. A lot of my friends have them and they have all had major problems, however all Diesel engines. 1.9tdi, 2.0tdi and 3.0 v6 tdi. They have all spent thousands on turbos, DPF, EGR etc. I'm sure however the patrols are better and with a solid 2 year warranty you can't go wrong!

Post #160163930th Jan 2016 7:52 am
Mother Superior

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hello Rob
Just went up to Icefest in Buxton in another forum members 6 speed car and there were no worries with motorway cruising, if you've had landies you know that they are not the cheapest things to live with, but you can't take it with you.
But by far the best thing is that if you go D4 you can take me down the pub on a regular basis, as I live about 5 miles from Walton!
Wes
 Farewell and adieu to you, Spanish Ladies
Farewell and adieu to you, Ladies of Spain
For we've received orders for to sail for old England 

Post #160166630th Jan 2016 9:52 am
robpenrose

Ah good man. You have a D4 then? Where do you gets yours maintained? Thames Ditton LR? I notice Guavia are only down the road in Guildford?

Post #160167030th Jan 2016 10:03 am
Oxford-boy

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Hi Rob,

I run a 2016MY D4. 5K in and I am more than happy.

I also run a 2008 RS4 with 48K on it. Fantastic beast but unless you are looking at new and thus less maintenance you'll have some big bills to keep it on the road. It has 3 radiators for a start.

Very different beasts, Couldn't live without the D4 but could get by without the RS4 - easily if I had to.

I used to run an 05 RRS TDV6 which was great and I had no real issues with that but it does mean I know how good the 3.0 SDV6 engine is compared to the 2.7 TDV6.

If you can, find a D4 with a LR warranty and go for it IMHO.

Good luck!

Post #160189230th Jan 2016 6:32 pm
Mother Superior

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hello Rob
I have used Conrico in Chertsey, but they can be a little hit and miss but believe it or not Hunters in Guildford have upped their game in the last few months. Tried Guava out with my old D2 a few years ago, thought I would see what their attitude was like towards an old nail before taking my good car there .....they quoted £3600.00 for a 120K service, telling me that it was an act of God that the car was still running at all. I took the time to explain that I had not just tumbled from the heavens before telling then to F off...however there are others on here that have had a very good experience with them.....think that LR may just have bought them.
Wes
 Farewell and adieu to you, Spanish Ladies
Farewell and adieu to you, Ladies of Spain
For we've received orders for to sail for old England 

Post #160190730th Jan 2016 7:01 pm
robpenrose

Sounds like the standard dealer experience generally then. To be fair though, i haven't really felt with Land Rover dealers before as i avoided them previously. Ive used BMW dealers for servicing and they are not great in my experience.

There is also the service centre in Wimbledon, but i don't know what they are like!

Post #160197530th Jan 2016 8:58 pm
Matts3

United Kingdom 

robpenrose wrote:
Yes I understand your point Matt. I replied to your thread about your D4 to see if you wanted a swap as it looked a cracking car.

I understand your point about maintenance. I guess the price point/age point will potential be expensive until it rounds into year 8 where the service regime will reset? I'm used to paying £500+ VED and the usual consumables of performance cars. Floating disk brakes are eye wateringly expensive so hoping to find the D4 not majorly more expensive if at all.

I'm hoping to keep the car long term, so hope the running costs will even out a bit over the years.

The other vehicles I was considering were Audi RS4 (b7), BMW M5 touring (5.0 V10) and C63 Estate (6.2l V8) but they all seem to have their issues, and I don't think they are as useable as a D4, even if they are potentially more exciting! The fuel tank range of the cars was also a turn off as the Z4 is bad enough, needing to fill at around 250 miles.

Im really put off by VAG cars too. A lot of my friends have them and they have all had major problems, however all Diesel engines. 1.9tdi, 2.0tdi and 3.0 v6 tdi. They have all spent thousands on turbos, DPF, EGR etc. I'm sure however the patrols are better and with a solid 2 year warranty you can't go wrong!

A man after my own heart Rob.
I considered RS4's (B7) after selling my S4 (B6), but DRC issues, oil cooler pipes and the cost of brakes and discs put me right off.
BMW M5 are somethign I'd love to run, but not pay for, and the C63 was something I'd love to have for the engine alone. However, the pre facelift has a dash from something akin to a Japanese car.
Diesels and DPF's seem to go hand in hand with issues, especially on short trips, but my D4 didnt have one being an early version, which was reassuring.
Get a good D4 and you'll enjoy the experience for what it is. MPG I manged 25 to the gallon, which is 3 better than my average of 22 over the past 10 years of owning faster petrol cars.
Ironically I even used to get 22 when towing a caravan with the D4.

Happy hunting fella Smile

Post #160206831st Jan 2016 1:00 am
robpenrose

Cheers Matt.

Do you think a D4 is cheaper to keep on the road than an RS4 then? My main worry with the RS4 was the DRC, but i guess there D4 has the compressor which is potentially a weak point? I do like them a lot though. I think a D4 would better suit my needs though!

Yes because i would be looking at an early D4, i think it is a pre DPF version. I guess thats one less thing to cause an issue. The main problems my friends have had with diesels have been EGR, DPF and turbos etc. Hopefully the D4 is a bit less prone to them going than the D3.

Post #16030241st Feb 2016 6:22 pm
robpenrose

Fitzy73 wrote:
Apologies, I didn't explain that very well.

£950 was the quote for a complete 6 year service due to extra fluids and oils being changed. Whilst the £1,200 for the 7 year service includes the belt and whatever else needs servicing.

I rung my local dealer to today to get a price for a six year and seven year service for a D4.

Six year service: £521
Seven year Service: 1105 Big Cry

Post #16030281st Feb 2016 6:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >