Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Considering a D4 & Some Questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Oxford-boy

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Rob,

You'll find many RS4s have had the DRC partially replaced, if not completed removed and have adjustable springs in their place. It will be easy to find one with the DRCs replaced...however, as a previous post has mentioned the front brake discs alone are around £700 a pair. The Auxiliary radiators (there are two) are prone to blocking and leaking so every 40K those will need replacing. Oil Cooler another grand and then there's always other bits and bobs. Good news is that Audi built them to be driven and they are fantastic at being so, you just need to have deep pockets for the routine stuff.

IMHO a D4 (unless for some reason you buy a dud which will probably have tell tale signs that it such) is much cheaper to run and maintain than an RS4.

As I said, two different beasts for different roles in your driving life maybe?

Can't advise which is right for you as both put a grin on my face but in different ways... Very Happy

Good luck

Post #16030431st Feb 2016 6:59 pm
robpenrose

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks for the update. Yeah the discs on my current Z4 are similar wish price. Expensive!

I could never get both past the General at home. Has to be one or the other!

Ive got my eye on a D4 which looks a cracker, so hopefully comes off.

Post #16031371st Feb 2016 9:31 pm
mr.t

United States 2010 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteLR4

My LR4 needs a water pump and I am having a daily battle with myself between fixing, buying a newer LR4 or C63!

I am imagining that a repair if a C63 goes wrong would be that same as an the price of an older LR4 (rare I guess but would always be in the back of my mind)
 LR4 HSE 5.0 V8 Alaska White
LR4 HSE 5.0 V8 Nara Bronze (Gone)
D4 Landmark SDV6 Black(Gone)
Velar 240 S Eiger Grey
FLTRXST

Post #16031861st Feb 2016 10:30 pm
Matts3

United Kingdom 

robpenrose wrote:
Cheers Matt.

Do you think a D4 is cheaper to keep on the road than an RS4 then? My main worry with the RS4 was the DRC, but i guess there D4 has the compressor which is potentially a weak point? I do like them a lot though. I think a D4 would better suit my needs though!

Yes because i would be looking at an early D4, i think it is a pre DPF version. I guess thats one less thing to cause an issue. The main problems my friends have had with diesels have been EGR, DPF and turbos etc. Hopefully the D4 is a bit less prone to them going than the D3.

Personally speaking, I think you need to tuck £1.5-£2k away per year to keep a D4 running how I personally want to keep it.
I can't bear having anything slightly a miss with any of my vehicles and the older D4's just seem to need things sorting every 3 months or so to keep on top of them.
Many would just ignore it, but I can't see past them and it spoilt the ownership experience just a little, it gets tiring.
It never let me down, reliability was good. Overall longevity of parts in respect to items which wear just seems endless, especially at 5 years old. But then they are a heavy car.
Mine was covered under a warranty which was £1280 a year from Land Rover, so £100 a month.....that helped ease my nerves on major malfunctions, but still quite a bit for peace of mind.

If you like cars which drive and give feedback and pace, you *might* be disappointed, don't get me wrong, they'll get along ok but you feel the weight in the corners and they can't be described as fun. Hugely practical, yes, but exciting or just jump in them to drive, no.

If you gave any lingering doubts, I would urge you to hire one for a weekend. You'll know if you can live with it then.
A 30 min test drive will just put you in the honeymoon period of the raised driving position, and the torque from the engine, but run one fir a couple of days and lose £300 or £400 before commiting might be a good option.
If you need space etc but want practicality and performance , what about a 530i or maybe an S4 B8 avant? (85% of the performance of the older B7 RS4 but at least 50-60% less running costs)

Post #16032662nd Feb 2016 12:12 am
robpenrose

Thanks for your thoughts Matt. I understand what you're saying. I like my vehicles to be in top mechanical condition as well. I would depend on it for work, so won't be skimping on maintenance etc. I generally over service my cars. Current Z4 has intermediate oil changes.

I think a D4 is for me. I just need a comfy big car, that has plenty of power, but not necessarily quick 0-60. Life seems to have got very busy over the last couple of years, and the Z4 just isn't up to what I need. Want to have a vehicle I can drive down to skiing etc, or go to the F1 with the lads etc, whilst returning with a cubic tonne of beers etc.

Post #16040863rd Feb 2016 4:42 pm
Matts3

United Kingdom 

Practically, space and comfort. The Disco has it in spades.
Just the ability to chuck stuff in the back, bikes on the roof bars etc, made it very easy to live with in that respect.
Airports runs with mates for stag do's (and F1 in Barcelona) were always done with my car due to space and amount of seats.
It will slow you down for sure.
I always drove around 80mph in my normal cars where conditions dictated, whereas in the disco I'd be at 65-70mph as it was a vehicle which just didn't seem to rush you, if that makes sense.
Ironically one of the reasons I bought it was to slow me down and to avoid any driving points.....I got caught speeding with the caravan on the back 4 months into ownership.... The first time I'd been caught speeding in 12 years. Typical.
Enjoy your search, good luck.

Post #16041003rd Feb 2016 5:20 pm
robpenrose

Sounds ideal for my needs.

Cheers Thumbs Up

Post #16046784th Feb 2016 5:37 pm
robpenrose

Well tonight I watched my Z4M drive away.

The search is now on for its replacement.

Post #161454622nd Feb 2016 11:15 pm
Dave T

England 

http://www.disco4.com/forum/topic141440.html Whistle Whistle Whistle
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #161465023rd Feb 2016 7:52 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
robpenrose

Looks a lovely car Dave, and the perfect colour combo for me, but i think its out of my price range to be honest. I don't want to tie up that much money in a car with other stuff i have going on. It looks a great price though for that vehicle.

I think with my budget, i will be looking at the lower end of the D4 scale, with the 6 Speed.

Post #161469323rd Feb 2016 9:26 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >