Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

*UPDATED* Help - dealer not covering problems under warranty
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
CFB

United Kingdom 

I see your point DISCOJASE but it's not a calliper problem (that would have been covered under warranty apparently), they are just saying the brakes are binding due to needing a good strip clean and service, so on a 2 month old (to me) car that has supposedly had a full service prior to delivery it doesn't seem reasonable at all.

Had I bought it private or without having had the service/prep from a main dealer I agree there would be no comeback at all.

I guess my gripe is that the goodwill that is hopefully being shown by the supplier ought to extend through the dealer network so they can re-charge each other, would have saved me the hassle of two separate bookings and the £50 'inspection fee'.

Hey-ho, not exactly a major crisis I agree but I've not spent nigh on £30k for a car for quite some time and hoped for a bit longer before having to shell out more money (maybe that was naive with a used LR Embarassed )

Post #159705821st Jan 2016 4:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DISCOJASE

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Montalcino RedDiscovery 4

I do get what your saying, i just unfortunately feel that yes they may have given it a "full service" but unfortunately can't seem them stripping the brakes all round as a "just in case" they might bind/stick. I can see them sticking in new pads or something though, but not the overhaul.

All they want is to get it out and sold!

I do hope you get it sorted though and they do honour some goodwill Thumbs Up
 Filming something somewhere...  
Post #159706421st Jan 2016 4:40 pm
Dusty

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

DISCOJASE wrote:
Just my 2p worth.

Yes you got a car with a 2year warranty from a dealer 2 month ago and had a full services before hand.

BUT at the end of the day its also a 2010 car (according to your profile thing - apologies if its a new car) and the binding rear calliper, to me, is just wear and tear from a car of that age, unless the calliper was replaced just before you got it then you'll have the year parts warranty on it.

So i don't see why they should replace under warranty, sorry.

I have to dissagree.

Check out the Land Rover Approved Used web site. 'Land Rover Customer Promise' and 'Inspected Guaranteed and Ready For Action' are a couple of the quotes. Both seem to be amiss in this case as they've broken their promise and the car certainly wasn't 'Ready For Action'

Regardless of age or mileage, they have stuck it on their forcourt as 'An Approved Used' LR. They should not be shirking their responsibilities at such an early stage.
 Discovery 4 HSE
SDV6

Post #159707621st Jan 2016 4:50 pm
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I had a similar issue with the brakes (front) on my 2010 D4 shortly after picking it up almost 2 years ago and it was also serviced prior to collection.

After returning mine due to the brakes feeling rubbish (and still are), a few days before the appointment a low pad warning came up as well. I was annoyed as I felt had I already owned the car when it was serviced they would have told me it needed new brakes, but because they were paying they no doubt thought they'll be fine.

I asked if they would contribute to the cost and was told they would see. They said it needed one calliper and new discs and pads, but on collection no calliper needed and importantly no charge! Fantastic!

Anyway, next day I get a call saying I needed to pay the bill! Which I did, then complained to Land Rover and although I didn't get anything back, I got my next service free.

So whilst I was pleased with the end result, for this and numerous other reasons I don't think much of my dealer.
 Andy

Post #159716221st Jan 2016 7:34 pm
UKJay

England 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyLR4

What does all your service receipts say, there should be measurements stated for tyres, brakes, mileage covered etc?

Post #159717221st Jan 2016 7:51 pm
Fitzy73

Not sure about the op, but mine came with nothing but the service book.
 Andy

Post #159717921st Jan 2016 8:11 pm
SN

its still a five year old car

and it'll have five year old car niggles

no matter how shiny and new-like it looks on the forecourt
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #159718221st Jan 2016 8:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Fitzy73

I would have to disagree, the op would have paid top price for their Discovery, it was clearly considered good enough to be an approved used car and it was also serviced before collection.

Whilst I accept it is an old car, I would be (and was) annoyed to then have to spend hundreds on it only a short while later.
 Andy

Post #159719521st Jan 2016 8:31 pm
Discomadness

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Just my 2p worth... Does the full service schedule request a strip and clean of the rear hand brake shoe assembly ? Because it sure as hell did when I worked at a Vauxhall main dealer. If it does and then they say it needs a strip and clean again 2 months later then it 100% either wasn't done during the "full" service or had been incorrectly adjusted causing a dust build up. How that would cause unbalanced brake pad wear is beyond me though because the 2 systems although sharing a disk are different and as far as I know are not linked.
Possibility of making a negligence complaint there. The devil is in the detail. I would suggest you need to check exactly to the letter what JLR state they do during the service.
Hope you get it sorted Thumbs Up
 Jarrod

Current : D3 2007 HSE - AKA the lemon
-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs
-club body off rebuild. TWICE. 

Post #159720821st Jan 2016 8:51 pm
MarkOne

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I'm sure DiscoMikey will know the score when it comes to this.

Post #159721621st Jan 2016 9:00 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

I didn't get any service report when I bought it so not sure what was done. To be fair the supplying dealer have been great and are going to sort it for me, I'm just disappointed that my local dealer didn't think it prudent to tell me that they would be charging for the inspection if I didn't have the work done when I made it very clear when I booked it in and dropped it off that I was looking for this to be done under warranty.

I'm not daft, I know they are a business and don't do work for free but it feels like I have paid them £50 for them to confirm what I already knew, ie the brakes are binding and the gear change is lumpy.

Lesson learned, stick to the dealer I trust even if it's a bit further to travel.

Post #159722921st Jan 2016 9:15 pm
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

If there are faults on the car under 6 months since you bought it, they are assumed to be present when the car was bought, and the original dealer should solve (irrespective of any warranty you have) - at least that's my understanding of consumer rights. I think if you'd taken back to the original dealer it would have been a stronger argument (I realise that's not helpful and you said that anyway!). HOpe you get it sorted.
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #159724321st Jan 2016 9:37 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

CFB wrote:

Lesson learned, stick to the dealer I trust even if it's a bit further to travel.

As soon as I read your first post saying "not the supplying dealer" I thought tears would be forthcoming ...Although of course it shouldn't matter... some attitudes can smack of "Well he didn't buy it from us" Rolling Eyes

Dealer trust and relationships are paramount every time Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #159725221st Jan 2016 10:04 pm
mse

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Check the brakes is certainly a service task, which you expect them to notice a fault like this
 Mike  
Post #159736122nd Jan 2016 12:49 am
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

two different things.....customer satisfaction and good will from the original dealer....and the legal position of the warranty on the second dealer

Post #159737222nd Jan 2016 2:21 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >