Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Driver Seat Movement? Loose? Play?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Landy4

United States 2015 LR4 3.0 SCV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyLR4
Driver Seat Movement? Loose? Play?

Hi all, I'm new to the site and a new (about 3 week) owner of a 2015 LR4. I love it...I'll just start with that and everything that I wanted in a truck that is practical but with an interior that is amazing. I wanted to get more involved in this forum because I think that these are so important for helping each other out.

In any case I wanted to reach out and see if anyone has had any driver seat bottom movement fore/aft and slight rocking movement. I noticed this the past few days when braking or going downhill and braking that my bottom slides forward slightly and I think its because there is play in the bottom cushion or seat of the drivers seat. I also am able to play it backward as well. This is really bothersome to me and I've never felt play before in any of my previous cars/sedans/trucks in the past. Its not dramatic but if you sit in the drivers seat and try and wiggle it it does move slightly. I brought it to the dealer this am and they removed the seat entirely and tightened it and placed it back on its tracks...but its still there. I checked out a few other RR and an LR4 new (hse lux...but mine is an HSE only) and those seat bottoms were rock solid.

The service advisor, who has been supportive, says that he'll query a larger LR database to see if anyone else has complained about it and see what LR says. The car otherwise drives great and I love it but I just feel like the small wiggle and play in the seat especially noticeable around town since i'm braking a lot is partly a safety issue but also partly uncomfortable because the seat, like the steering wheel, are contact points for the driver to what is otherwise a superfirm and strong vehicle.

any thoughts? thanks so much!

Post #14980467th Jul 2015 3:57 am
Sloss

Scotland 

Ask for a replacement seat as it's not correct.

The dealer may well swap one from another car in stock but as long as you get sorted out no problem! Check colour though Whistle
 Stew,

2010 D4 gone but I really loved it
Went back to Merc - C350 AMG 

Post #14980607th Jul 2015 6:44 am
DiscoJake

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

This used to be an issue on the D3/LR3, I thought this was well sorted for D4 with redesigned seat frame?

Bodge on the D3 is to skew the seat by twisting the wires that control front back movement and this takes up the small amount of slack.
Consequently though this makes the seat creak after a while instead Banging Head

Post #14981607th Jul 2015 10:42 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Landy4

Thank you all for the responses. So I wasn't around LR when the previous seat movement issue was a problem. How bad was it? Unfortunately, the movement/play I have is subtle but obvious when driving or those movements I described above. I came out of my garage this am (a steep uphill) and it "moved" and felt a slide and a shift as the seat cushion slid backwards.

LR dealership is looking into it now (they released the car back to me yesterday after checking it out and tightening all the bolts down). I hope they find something significant to make this process easier and quicker to resolution. Like I said, I'm otherwise in love with the car and I do have plans on taking it off road later this summer when camping, etc. I don't want a shifty seat to be there when I'm off pavement which I think would exacerbate the problem and then just make it more annoying and possibly more unsafe.

any other thoughts or experiences with this in the 14/15 LR4s?

Post #14982107th Jul 2015 2:00 pm
motolite

Australia 

Hi, have you compared it to another D4 on their lot? It should tell you if it's a common problem or just with your truck.

Post #14985557th Jul 2015 11:19 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I had seat rock on my last D3 2009MY ...but not on either of my 2 D4's 2013 & 2015MY's. Shouldn't occur on the D4 tbh ...keep pestering the dealer for a fix or replacement Smile
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #14985577th Jul 2015 11:25 pm
Landy4

DG, how bad was the seat rock on the D3?

I wrote to the service advisor for a fix/replacement. WE did check out one other LR4 new on the lot when I went to pick my car up. It was, to me, firm for sure. They seem to acknowledge it and give it attention as probably different but they didn't come out and say it outright. They wanted to investigate with Land Rover NA probably since its a new car and see if there are any brewing issues. That being said, the lead tech (think he was in charge) did say that he's not blowing me off and wants to get it right. I think that's reassuring?

thanks everyone for the comments. super helpful.

again, i'm very very happy with the truck except for this seat. Its my first LR and I hope that its resolved so I can be 100% happy with this awesome truck.
 2015 LR4 HSE  
Post #14985707th Jul 2015 11:55 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

The seat rock on the D3 was as you describe ...small but noticeable movements when accelerating or braking...it was only ever "temporarily" fixed but I changed the motor before it returned Smile

Not heard of it on the D4 so I would push for full seat replacement Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #14985768th Jul 2015 12:06 am
Landy4

yes, i think a replacement is brewing in my mind and have communicated that direction of thinking to them. Basically, if its an issue and its different than other lr4 on the lot and they don't know how to fix it...then the only option left for a brand new car is a replacement right?

I hope to hear from them tomorrow. I thought 1-2 days for them to followup with LR was appropriate. This car is brand new (3 weeks) and about 1k miles due to road trips twice to test the car out. All pavement so far. I do want to take it camping and trail driving in a few weeks but want to sort these things out beforehand.

as an aside, i did have a rattle under my car during acceleration when the car was new first few days that turned out to be a transmission cover that was defective and there was a TSB out on it. took two days to fix in my first 10 days of ownership. nice start eh?

other than that I love this car. so much better and more fun than my previous 2 door coupe.
 2015 LR4 HSE  
Post #14985798th Jul 2015 12:22 am
747_JK

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

And I thought it was just me...

I had this on my MY2010 and the dealer fixed it for me.

I have noticed it too on my MY2015, it went in to Harwoods last week for something else and I asked them to look at it (in an email to the service desk asking them to add it to the job bag several days ahead), but to be honest I have still been noticing it. I really thought it was just me being a total perfectionist, but I notice it - only under braking and on a downward slope. I will study it some more and may head back in with it, along with this thread as you describe it perfectly.
 747_JK
"Moab is my happy place"
2019 Land Rover Discovery 5 HSE
2015 Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - SOLD
2010 Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE with a serious smoking habit - SOLD 

Post #14995009th Jul 2015 10:46 pm
Landy4

Thanks for chiming in here with your thoughts. What kind of seats do you have (HSE vs HSE Lux?)? How old is the car? notice it anytime else? also how's the front passenger seat? let me know what they say!

I spoke to my service advisor earlier and they touched base with Land Rover and want me to bring the car in soon to try a few things...not sure what the specifics of that are but i'll find out. I have no idea what is planned.

any further information that you want/can provide would be helpful to me and i'm sure others if they notice it.

I agree I'm a perfectionist and want things perfect but I also know when things aren't "right." I hope whatever they have planned does it. I drove to work today and back using a few downhill garage slopes that require some braking throughout and I felt the play and wiggle wiggle wiggle.

btw, what was the fix on the 2010? what did the dealer do?
 2015 LR4 HSE  
Post #149952710th Jul 2015 12:26 am
corris

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Hi Landy4, is it the seat cushion only that appears to move (under the leather) or is it the frame do you think?..i have pointed this out to my dealer, wondered if it was just me, but my cushion moves occasionally on pulling away and stopping. It was noticeable from day one, still does it but the seat frame is solid, it is just a millimetre or two of movement but astonishingly annoying at times.

Post #149986910th Jul 2015 8:15 pm
Landy4

Hi Corris...so yes, it feels like both actually. The leather certainly doesn't feel tight or moves around on the cushion. But the frame also seems to slide. So when I say frame I mean there is a metallic rim under the seat that you can grab (Between your legs for example) and I can feel that metallic frame shift slightly anterior and posterior when braking/accelerating and also just when I try and manually move it. The combination of the two (Cushion+ frame), while each also small as you mention the combination of the two is what is completely annoying while driving and I wonder if its a problem if an accident were to happen, etc. or if would wear more over time and loosen up while on a trip for a few days away from roads/civilization. that's my other concern.

Can you describe anything else you see/feel and how old the seat/car is for you?
 2015 LR4 HSE  
Post #149993310th Jul 2015 9:39 pm
corris

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Hi LANDY
Mine is a 2014 electric seats, day one told them seat moves, thought it was the frame, turned out it is the cushion beneath the leather. They did replace the frame support and it does not move, however, the cushion still moves on occasions when pulling away/stopping or even when you turn! It feels like only a few millimetres but was distracting /annoying initially and I was not happy but they convinced me I was too fussy. Thing is I have had four Discoveries in last ten years and this is the first one that has had this issue, so it is not my imagination etc. Used to it now but not totally happy and not sure I will leave it now Confused

Post #149999210th Jul 2015 11:11 pm
Landy4

Yeah so a few things. I sat in some other new lr4 2015 and there are less to no movement in some of them for sure both frame and cushion. Also, the passenger seat in my car is almost just right and not nearly as moving as my driver seat. Yes I don't sit in the passenger side much but when I did I can't tell .
 2015 LR4 HSE  
Post #150002411th Jul 2015 1:27 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >