Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Hmmm...To be or not to be sensible
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
xcentric

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

at that point, I'd doubt there is likely to be anything mechanical to consider, but for the money you'd be spending I'd go fora Land Rover Approved Used for peace of mind, and not much more than privately if you look hard. I'd personally pick an HSE for the better seats, and easier resale, but there's not much in it. Dealer prices can vary a lot, and do negotiate, so I'd look nationally. But it'd be hard to go too wrong.

Post #161419722nd Feb 2016 3:20 pm
Landroverfan1

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Thank you very much for the advice.

Post #161421922nd Feb 2016 4:02 pm
xcentric

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

you're welcome - one addition is that if you find a vehicle on here, it's a worth a look too, as mostly people here love their vehicles, are knowledgable, and so you might well get a good deal. And you can always buy an aftermarket warranty if you want that too.

Post #161422322nd Feb 2016 4:09 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I'm a fag paper under 6ft 7" and the D3/4 has been a godsend for not giving me back problems.

I did have the use of a Discovery Sport for a few days and was impressed by the head and legroom. If the DS has enough interior space and you don't need the amazing off-road ability of the D4, it should in theory be cheaper to run.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography (now semi-retired) 

Post #161424522nd Feb 2016 4:58 pm
Nick H

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

I have a 2 year old and a 4 year old (nearly 5, so she keeps telling me) and we've had the D4 for 3 years now. Went from a A4 Avant which needed a roof box just with the first one to go camping for the weekend. The D4 swallows so much, the wife loves driving it and I have lost count of the number of times we have changed nappies on the back Very Happy

Friends have a XC and it just doesn't appeal to me or have anything to lure me anywhere near it.

I will not have another car for the foreseeable future.

Ours was approved used so will definitely go down this route again as we weren't fussed about new and were happy for someone else to take the depreciation hit Thumbs Up

The test drive sold it for us, my wife was nervous about driving it but when she got out she simply said 'you can buy one, I love it'!

Good luck Thumbs Up

Post #161426622nd Feb 2016 5:32 pm
Landroverfan1

Thanks very much for the advice and comments. My wife commented that it's a bit like a bigger Freelander which seemed to sell it for her. The amount of trips we do across Europe, laden with everything including the kitchen sink. And with the first child on the way it was either a trailer or bigger vehicle. XC70 really not a bad car and comfortable seats. The A6 Allroad so very fast but tiny boot and backache after a few miles (but don't get me wrong it is a superb car). XC90 very good but off road ability rather poor. For our needs, comfort, space and safety the D4 is likely to be the perfect car. Watch this space Smile

Many thanks again for the advice and comments.

Post #161427622nd Feb 2016 5:40 pm
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Landroverfan1 wrote:
Thank you for the very useful comments. It's now between the XC70 and the D4. So may the best car (the Disco) win. Very Happy

Had 4-5 XC70's and maybe 6-7 D3/D4's. Had 3-4 Freelanders (original and later one's), driven the A6 a couple of times and had many new Disco' Sports from work and likely to have one as a second car (prefer it to the Evoque)

Think you've scrubbed it off the list but an A6 (or BMW 5 or Merc' E, etc.) is a completely 'different' car to a D4.

The XC70, whils same concept as the A6 (ie jacked estate with 4wd) does 'do it better' IMO. I really liked my XC70's (other than horrible take-off lag from standstill, much left foot braking and wind up the revs in fast moving traffic getting out of junctions, onto islands, etc.).

We had 2 kids and two dogs and did 'loaded to the gunnels' camping trips across UK and France with roof rack piled high and I've yet to see any manufacturer do a 'dog guard' as good as volvo; sturdy tubular steel affair that flipped down from the roof.

However, it still isn't a patch on a D4. The increase in size, height and refinement of the D4 knocks it into a cocked hat. However if there genuinely was a £20k price gap then I could be swayed back to a Volvo and do 'better things' with the £20k (I can see a small convertible, new motorbike and another watch for that Laughing ).

BUT; if a Disco Sport was 'big enough' for you I would consider one of them, I really like them. They are much bigger than the old FL2 (but not 'genuine' 7 seater, think of it as a 5+2), the Ingenium engine makes the FL2 sound/perform like an old tractor it is. I like them more than the (to me) 'feminine' Evoque and bonus is it's cheaper too.

Still think a D4 will win for you though Thumbs Up

Post #161492223rd Feb 2016 5:52 pm
Landroverfan1

The XC70 really is a superb car with seats that seemed to improve my back as we drove. And indeed so is the A6. Not in the back department but in terms of refinement, the engine and interior. And speaking to some friends in Devon who said "we tried to get the allroad stuck but it kept up with the Defenders across a muddy field." They were certainly not advocating that the all road is as good as a Defender, certainly not. But it coped with the usual fields most mortals might encounter in an off road situation.

However the D4 won it for us. The comfortable seats, the interior, off road ability, boot space, seven seats and command driving position. As a tall person from what I understand, it is better to be sitting in the command position rather than almost lying down (sorry not explained that very well) as you do in the Audi, etc. For us, to be able to drive for 14 hours in a single day (with regular stops) is important.

So to cut a very long and boring (sorry about that) post: D4 2014 HSE Lux bought. Now awaiting delivery date.

Post #161521624th Feb 2016 8:41 am
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

In some moments of despair a few weeks back following an expensive service, I looked at the XC70 and it was very tempting with over £11,000 off, but they have now gone out of production, so only stock cars left.
 Andy

Post #161524424th Feb 2016 9:29 am
Oxford-boy

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

We moved from a 2005 Volvo XC90 D5 into a 2016 D4. Two reasons for the move. Ten years old seemed enough for the Volvo although it was still going strong with 5 kids who'd all puked and left sticky fingers and stuff inside and out it was time for a change. The Volvo rear seats (second row) also don't really suit kids much over 12 as the legroom is limited.

D4 was a whack to buy but we chose it almost exclusively because it can carry all 7 of us in good comfort and those second row seats are just fab for adults too. The cost is a smaller boot space in the D4 with those seats up compared to the XC90 but the then again there's less room in the XC90 seats.

With the new XC90 just out there are some awesome late old style XC90's out there. The XC90 on road was awesome, probably a fair bit better than my new D4 but it rides lower and has less interior room (plus is older).

We sold at 150K on our 2005 XC90. Ours was a rare manual and at best it was average condition but mechanically that 2.5 Turbo Diesel was a beauty. The 3.0 Twin turbo in the D4 is better with the 8 speed auto box though.

Anywhere more than parking at a festival in a damp field and the D4 is simply streets ahead of the XC90 no question.

We are very pleased with the D4 and having driven the new model XC90 are pleased we didn't plump for that.

Hope that adds a dimension to your deliberations

Post #161549324th Feb 2016 5:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >