DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

*UPDATED* Help - dealer not covering problems under warranty
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
CFB

United Kingdom 
*UPDATED* Help - dealer not covering problems under warranty

Hi all

Bought my used D4 in November from a main agent with a full service and accompanying 2yr approved used warranty (for peace of mind!!).

Took it in today to my local dealer (not the one who supplied) as I have a rear brake binding and have had some lumpy gear changes. They've just called me to say the rear brakes need a strip and clean plus a set of pads as one side has worn due to the binding but there is no calliper issue??? The gearbox just needs a software reset.

Neither covered under warranty so they want £300 for the rear pads and brake clean and £132 for the gearbox reset.

Not happy at all, 2 months into ownership I don't think I should be having to pay out like this, do I have any rights??

Last edited by CFB on 25th Jan 2016 3:34 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #159697021st Jan 2016 2:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Russell

United Kingdom 

Contact LR customer services, would have thought the software update should be free if nothing else.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #159697521st Jan 2016 2:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MarkOne

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

£132 for the gearbox reset where do they think these numbers up along with £300 for 1 set of pads and 10mins to clean them. Take it if they admit that the calipier was sticking they would have to come good for it.

Daylight robbery

Post #159697621st Jan 2016 2:33 pm
wizbongre

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

£132 is probably the standard hourly rate, for 1 hours work (which is likely to be the minimum they will charge for a job.)

And they wonder why consumers are often negative about dealers and the service they get...
 Cheers,

Gareth

'57 D3 2.7 TDV6 HSE gone and soon to be forgotten!
‘15 D4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Luxury
'64 Audi A6 3.0BiTDi Quattro S-Line Black Edition with lots of toys 

Post #159698221st Jan 2016 2:46 pm
al cope

England 

brake issue would be wear & tear, so not at all surprised its not covered by warrenty. Strip and clean doesnt sound like a warrenty issue, as its not classed as a "fault"

SW update should be though

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #159698321st Jan 2016 2:46 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

But should the brakes need a 'strip an clean' after only 2 months use and 2000 miles? It had a full service just prior to delivery.

Would the brakes bind due to anything other than a sticky calliper? Ok perhaps a years worth of use and build up of crud. It's been off-road once and afterwards I had the rear wheels off and it all got a good hose off so doubt it can be that.

I've just called the supplying dealer to ask for their thoughts.

Post #159698621st Jan 2016 2:52 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I wonder if they think you have an issues with the epb shoes hence the high labour cost?

Post #159698921st Jan 2016 2:54 pm
SN

high labour cost is to pay for shiny showrooms and DP's wages
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #159699021st Jan 2016 2:55 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

.......and the technology they use to send me a video report of the inspection carried out with commentary from the technician working on it Shocked

Nice touch but really....................

Post #159700321st Jan 2016 3:07 pm
lynalldiscovery

SN wrote:
high labour cost is to pay for shiny showrooms and DP's wages

What I meant was the op says 300 quid for strip and clean which is way to long for pads but is about right for drum brakes.

Post #159701421st Jan 2016 3:23 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Nope they said it's not the EPB or drums as they are staying cool but the disk is getting hot.

So the original supplying dealer have agreed to look at it for me as they agree it should not need doing this soon (although didn't go as far as saying they will do FOC), the dealer it's with now are asking for £50 to cover the investigative work they have done although it was labelled as a 'complimentary healthcheck' .

Feckin hate main dealers Evil or Very Mad

(Well some of them anyway)

Post #159702021st Jan 2016 3:27 pm
lynalldiscovery

Well in that case 300 quid is proper taking the Censored Shocked

Tell them to contact your supplying dealer for the 50 quid

Post #159702821st Jan 2016 3:33 pm
Dusty

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Regardless of the prices being somewhat extortionate surely 2 months into ownership they should be bending over backwards to sort the issue.

You pay a premium to buy used from a main dealer and for that premium they should be going over the car with a fine tooth combe to ensure these situations don't arise. Land Rover are quick to point out that buying used through the dealer network is like buying new. If thats the case they should be sorting this out under warranty!!

Even allowing for the brakes being wear and tear (after 2 months!!) charging for the gearbox upgrade is taking the p**s
 Discovery 4 HSE
SDV6

Post #159703021st Jan 2016 3:37 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

I'm kicking myself for not going straight back to the supplying dealer as I'm pretty sure they will do it all for me FOC under the banner of 'goodwill', however I did contact LRCS before all this to check that I could go to any dealer for the warranty work and they said yes. Guess that only applies for things they can actually do under the warranty terms but it would be nice if they could just work together and have some sort of reciprocal arrangement in place to sort it out without me having to pay!

As per the earlier post, I bought from a main dealer for peace of mind and to avoid any nasty little surprises. If this had been a brand new vehicle they would have just sorted it, I see no difference to the customer as to me it's new and should have been better prepared.

I will pay the £50 and claim it off the supplying dealer once they admit to the rest!

Post #159704221st Jan 2016 3:56 pm
DISCOJASE

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Montalcino RedDiscovery 4

Just my 2p worth.

Yes you got a car with a 2year warranty from a dealer 2 month ago and had a full services before hand.

BUT at the end of the day its also a 2010 car (according to your profile thing - apologies if its a new car) and the binding rear calliper, to me, is just wear and tear from a car of that age, unless the calliper was replaced just before you got it then you'll have the year parts warranty on it.

So i don't see why they should replace under warranty, sorry.
 Filming something somewhere...  
Post #159705421st Jan 2016 4:24 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >