Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

How much 2 stroke oil should I add to my diesel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 15 of 30 <123 ... 141516 ... 282930>
Divlar

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Well I have been using 2T for a few tank fills now and I can report some definite improvements and this is coming off the back of religiously using Redex. The improvements noted are cold starts and fuel economy. Can't really report any difference in performance or noise?

Cold starting is now really sharp with no thump, judder or rattle of the dog guard. Fuel economy on ave up about 3mpg I reckon but on a motorway run yesterday I got 37mpg which I have never seen before (only OBC but using in a relative sense)

First bottle of 2T was Asda brand fb now on Castrol fc.

Post #95941727th Jul 2012 10:33 am
Fudpucker

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Extra 5 mpg for me Razz Castrol Actevo from Asda Online.

Post #95944427th Jul 2012 11:46 am
edwardandtubs

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

how much oil are you adding?

Post #95944727th Jul 2012 11:48 am
Fudpucker

Same as everyone else. 500ml to 80L or so. My car has just over 100,000m on it.

Post #95946227th Jul 2012 12:21 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Fudpucker

That's exceptional.

Are you adding the 2 stroke oil to the fuel when calculating consumption.

How are you calculating fuel consumption; totally full to totally full ?

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #95946327th Jul 2012 12:21 pm
Popelka

Czech Republic 

at work they supplied an excel form that was manually filled out following their instruction to calculate fuel usage, so I added in a few formulas to automate it a little; as can be seen

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...6-2012.xls

However as of July they have changed company policy so from July forward there are a few extra formulas added

Thumbs Up
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #95947627th Jul 2012 12:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Fudpucker

I just pour the 2t in then fill up. I have calculated the mpg using fill up to fill up and the number of miles done. There may be a small difference between fill ups but not too much. The trip computer reads . 2 mpg higher than actual so it is reasonably accurate.

Post #95947927th Jul 2012 1:01 pm
Dave T

England 

Just put some in for the first time, 500ml to a full tank, got it from Unipart, FC low ash, £1.80 plus VAT for a 500ml bottle.
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #95950327th Jul 2012 2:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Dave T wrote:
Just put some in for the first time, 500ml to a full tank, got it from Unipart, FC low ash, £1.80 plus VAT for a 500ml bottle.

Stock up on it at that price! Shocked
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #95979628th Jul 2012 8:25 am
Marc98

Monaco 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hello all,

I have read some pages of this topic and made some searches (here in the forum but also google) as I think this is very interesting.
After this search, I have the following questions/remarks:

As I am living in France, I was looking for a mineral FC oil as described here as the best. Well, after looking for main manufacturers web sites (total, castrol, shell...) all the mineral oils has only FB standard and I need to go to semi-synthetic for a FC spec. So, I am surprised about this difference between countries (well, I did not went very deep) as I can read here for mineral FC oils often.

Then, googleing, I went into a nice subject in a forum where the guy (who seems to know the subject quiet well) was saying that the mineral oil will not mixt with other oils (which will not be the case with other semi or synthetic oils) So, the logical question that came to me is: if this does not mixt with other oils, will this mixt with diesel? This is the opposite point of view that was presented here where the synthetic does not mixt with diesel.
It was hard for me to find more information on this subject so I cannot post an official answer here.

Also, I have seen a diversity of opinions about quantity: 250ml, 500ml for a tank... I am very amazed as each one seems to be an "authority" in this thinking (logically) that what he does is the best and that the rest should follow.

I do not understand for which reason some 2 stroke oil should give a better range with a tank (better mpg). If somebody can, please, explain. As the quantity is ridiculously small 1:200 (or worst) I do not think that this enters in the lubrication of the piston. Perhaps this just bring a wrong information to the computer. I use to talk of real mpg writing the km I've done and the litters I’ve put in the pump. I am calculating this for a year now. So, my mpg is real.

I clearly see the advantage of doing this: lubricate the injection system (pump and injectors) Hopefully, I do not read a lot of injection problems, so this comforts me in the idea that perhaps 250ml/tank is enough.

I have submit this topic to a French forum and people was laughing as it sounds as stupid for them (I think that you can argument the opposite pov but laugh is poor) But, I have talk to my mechanic who has told me that it is a good think and that perhaps a bottle each two or three tanks is enough.

If I remember well, time ago, I have ready that vegetal oil would also be good (yes, I am talking of colza or whatever) Can somebody argument why it won't be good? As this is much cheaper! I can even put 1 liter/tank for a cheaper price!

Finally, I see and understand that the advantage of some 2 stroke oil in the tank: lubricate the injection system. Then, the semi-synthetic oil seems to be the best with the better spec (FC seems a minimum) Also, I am not sure that the quantities talked here are good (I think very rich) I am nearly sure that I will try in September (I just blanked my egr and want to see the results before) but I am not very sure if I want to pay a tank 8-10% more expensive...

Thank you all for your answers!!!

Post #95997128th Jul 2012 4:22 pm
Fudpucker

I do not know how the chemistry involved works but I do know that adding two stroke oil to your diesel does improve the fuel economy of the vehicle. I have gained another 5mpg and this is real not a confused trip computer as you suggest.
Regarding whether the 2T oil should be synthetic or mineral, I would suggest that it should be mineral or semi synthetic. It would make sense that there might be some issues with the fully synthetic mixing with the diesel rather than the mineral based product as diesel is derived from mineral oil after all.
I put 500ml in a full tank which is quite dilute and far less than the ratio for motorcycles etc.

Post #96061830th Jul 2012 3:32 pm
Marc98

Monaco 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Thank you very much for your response. As I previously said, I just blanked my egr valves and before testing something else, I would like to see the results. I will do around 2.000Km this month (holidays yeha!) so I will test in September for a couple of months to see the results (and continue if this is good)

Post #9614651st Aug 2012 9:29 pm
bryan

United Kingdom 

A well known auction site has a 5l comma TST5L 2SO for £20.50 with FOC del. Comma website says it is JASO-FB. Is that ok??

Post #9615031st Aug 2012 11:16 pm
AAA.Happy.Disco1.Fan

Wales 

I have a very large drum of snake oil for sale - buyer collects.

AAA Very Happy

[To satisfy the 'Met', and other elements - this joke IS a joke, and any offence or hurt feelings caused to anyone is deeply regretted - until PC P comes to his/her senses.]

Post #9615101st Aug 2012 11:52 pm
grahamk

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Maxcess sells 5 litres for a tenner...use it in my outboard as well

Post #9616342nd Aug 2012 12:24 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 15 of 30 <123 ... 141516 ... 282930>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >