Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

How much 2 stroke oil should I add to my diesel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 13 of 30 <123 ... 121314 ... 282930>
filo

Italy 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

i'm ending a 2L outboard 2 cycle oil can that seems to be jaso fc as stated on the label
i'm adding 200 ml oil each 80 litres diesel and now the car seems to be more quiet
usually i could hear the noise coming from the HP fuel pump (perhaps or not Smile ) it was a sort of ROAR ROAR when the car was low revving

even if i see that 200ml is not enough i'm a bit afraid of the possible consequences and the noise is gone

F.

Post #94515321st Jun 2012 5:19 pm
chalky

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I only put 250ml in each fill up, that way i get X4 applications per 1Litre bottle, although there is only 250ml i also can hear the audible difference, i filled up in belgium the other day and that stuff made my car clatter like an old Perkins traction engine. I had no 2T to add in and boy did it sound rough
Shocked
 Only dead fish go with the Flow !  
Post #94515421st Jun 2012 5:24 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

bambi wrote:
@ron p, yes it does matter, fully synthetic does not mix with the fuel, stick to jc mineral or semi synth, either one, but not fully synthetic and if you have a dpf not jb,

OK, whilst waiting for notice to collect my 2 x 1ltr Castrol from Asda, I popped into my local tool store and came accross a 5ltr Semi Synthetic 2T that states "surpasses Jaso FC requirements".
It was an unknown brand selling to me at under £16 x 5ltr
Now that seems a bargain - but will it be OK to use?

Post #94515721st Jun 2012 5:41 pm
chalky

Ron, If it is Semi Synth and JasoFC then i would say YES ! Thumbs Up
Post #94516321st Jun 2012 5:51 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Quote:
Can anybody estimate the increased Sulphur content by adding the 2T in the ratios discussed?

Err, no sorry Whistle

Post #94517221st Jun 2012 6:20 pm
chalky

I found this while looking for your answer to sulpher in fuel Whistle

Although this bloke can't give you the answer either he can tell you what sulpher is doing in fuel and also the problems associated with not having it in there ?
It's mostly re gurgitated but he seems to have done some homework !

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/general-c...iesel-fuel
Post #94522121st Jun 2012 7:43 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

B16 KJR wrote:
Quote:
Can anybody estimate the increased Sulphur content by adding the 2T in the ratios discussed?

Err, no sorry Whistle

I thought the problem with S'efrican fuel was too much sulphur, does 2sO add more? Question Question

Post #94522421st Jun 2012 7:47 pm
pigeon

worth a read

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/archiv...11577.html

Post #94524021st Jun 2012 8:27 pm
Divlar

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I have no technical knowledge on this matter but I guess adding the 2T in the ratios recommended is surely not enough to raise the Sulphur content past the threshold of 0.3% if the original ULSD is <0.001% (This would equate to x300). It would be interesting to know what content it is tho when people have experienced such notable improvements in performance.

Post #94532721st Jun 2012 10:38 pm
hgbosch

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

Divlar wrote:
I have no technical knowledge on this matter but I guess adding the 2T in the ratios recommended is surely not enough to raise the Sulphur content past the threshold of 0.3% if the original ULSD is <0.001% (This would equate to x300). It would be interesting to know what content it is tho when people have experienced such notable improvements in performance.

Hi Divlar

there are some misconceptions out there regarding sulphur's "lubricating" properties.

The problem with ULSD is that in the process of removing sulphur from the diesel, the lubricity of such diesel fuel is substantially reduced. This is also the main reason for the rise in HPFP and injector failures past 130'000-150'000km.

There seems to be a correlation between early failures and bad "stretched (with paraffine) diesel. These problems are endemic in Southern Africa north of its borders, and are also well documented in Eastern Europe.

The solution is the addition of Jaso-FC compliant 2sO in either mineral or semi-synthetic formulation. Thumbs Up
 EX AFRICA SEMPER ALIQUID NOVI
SEMPER IN FAECIBUS SUMUS SOLE, PROFUNDUM VARIAT Shocked

with kind regards

George Bosch
2005 Disco3 TDV6 S
2003 Range Rover Td6
1998 Disco1 ES 300Tdi (sold)
And some more serious stuff 

Post #94538622nd Jun 2012 3:21 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

Disco_Mikey wrote:
yamaha-fan wrote:
To all:

Def: yes, fill in 0,3 litre of 2-stroke oil with every tank filling. You will notice a surprisingly big difference in the smoothness of your engine running, the noise level is reduced, particularely when the engine is cold, and the fuel ecconomy will increase besides the described other advantages.
The 2-stroke oil I can recommend from my own experience (value for price) is the Liqui Moly 2-stoke oil, semi-synthetic, Product no. 1052 (blue plastic bottle). The use of 2-stroke oil is recommended also for diesel engines without DPF. If you "forget" to fill in the little dosis of 2-stroke oil - no problem. Just fill it in the next time.
Everybody who has used the 2-stroke oil in his/her diesel engine has confirmed that they could not have done better.

Evanessen: see above. Do not use fully synthetic 2-stroke oil, as too expensive, and you do not really need this high quality for your purpose. Semi-synthetic will do.

npinks: the use of 2-stroke oil in the diesel will under normal circumstances not be evident, as the 2-stroke oil will be absorbed by the diesel by forming an emulsion, which will not seperate.
As I have said, we have to undergo every 2 years a pollution control inspection by our TUV, and the emission values as measured are by far better with use of 2-stroke oil than without. I have not come accross any case in which a car manufacturer has waived its guarantee obligo for cars which have used this 2-stroke oil (off course, not knowing this).
Dismantling the test diesel engines after the 2-stroke oil test has revealed that such engines have been in an extroardinary clean and top condition. So why should any car manufacturer have any reason to waive any guarantees (for whatever technical reasons) if the concerned engine is otherwise in a clean and top condition.

Yamaha-Fan

There you go, looks like ANY 2-stroke oil will be fine, as long as it is low ash Thumbs Up

I am even more confused now, Disco Mickey said use a mineral oil, this quote above says use semi synthetic, which is best please.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #94557722nd Jun 2012 2:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Both are ok, but not synthetic.

from the other thread.

ronp wrote:
Semi Synth is ok Thumbs Up

From the man himself.
hgbosch wrote:
The solution is the addition of Jaso-FC compliant 2sO in either mineral or semi-synthetic formulation. Thumbs Up

Post #94557922nd Jun 2012 2:13 pm
Divlar

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I will definitely give it a try when my supply of Redex runs out. (Bought loads when at £2 a bottle from Asda). Can't really say have ever noticed a difference adding the Redex tho other than I have never had any kind of smoke out the back?

Post #94560522nd Jun 2012 2:54 pm
al cope

England 

well just stuck my first 500ml of Castrol jaso FC in a full tank, so will see what its like.

Al

only 30 miles yet - but my euro4 engine is much quieter - its seems to have lost the injector rattle staright away.
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #94569422nd Jun 2012 5:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bambi

England 

Crawled under the d3 today guess what no dpf , only 2 lumps in the exhaust 1 cat , 2 silencer, so that means jaso fb is on the menu.

Ran out of oil , refilled with fuel (no oil added ), from empty, lost a little economy though fom 24mpg on the gauge over the last 3 tanks ( with 2 stroke) back to 22 with out.

I know the gauge reads wrong but for this experiment the gauge can be out but so long as I only refer to the gauge I'm ok

Post #9492611st Jul 2012 5:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 13 of 30 <123 ... 121314 ... 282930>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >