DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Auto light sensitivity?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
mrszymon

2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Auto light sensitivity?

Hi there,

I have a 09MY HSE with adaptive xenon lights. (They're *great* by the way, absolutely superb). I was wondering if there is any way to control the sensitivity of the auto setting. For me they turn on just a *little* too late - by the time they auto-on, I would have turned them on just that little bit earlier. This is especially obvious in the bad weather.

Also, is there any way to link them to the rain sensor, so that if it detects rain it turns the lights on? I was riding around today in the rain without my lights on for a couple of minutes before I twigged...

-simon

Post #92487725th Apr 2012 9:31 pm
Morgis

Norway 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Auto-on when rain can be activated in CCF at dealer or with Faultmate.

I dont know about lux-sensitivity, but on mine they turn on too early compared to VAG.
They also turn on when wipers starts, and goes off again when wipers stops.
  - My 2006 D3 HSE PP

Post #92490125th Apr 2012 9:59 pm
anglefire

England 

Interesting, as my lights come on in the rain if they lights and wipers are in auto.

Switching the wipers to "On" does mean they go off though Big Cry
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #92490925th Apr 2012 10:12 pm
Jobbers5

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Really..mine don't? I'm the same as simon. Need them to come on more promptly.

Post #12458452nd Mar 2014 4:39 pm
DerbyshireDisco

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

On mine the lights come on when auto wipers switch form intermittent to constant ie when it starts to rain more heavily.
Can't comment on adjusting light sensetivity.
 Displaced Yorkshireman.
=^:^=
SDV6 Auto obviously, Loire blue/Ebony, ugly kid glass, RLD wheel protector, private plate and maybe side steps. 

Post #12459392nd Mar 2014 7:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Richie63

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

My experience of the auto light setting is that they turn on much too late and don't auto turn off until you have brilliant sunshine shining directly at you. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Gave up with them and just stick to the old fashioned way of turning them on when I want them on, it also does away with the see me home lights, which I don't need and saves a needless drain on the battery.

Post #12460022nd Mar 2014 8:36 pm
Popelka

Czech Republic 

see and some point out I drive a Skoda Embarassed

mine has setting in the infotron screen to adjust timing of coming on (3 settings) they also come on automatically if running thru tunnels under darker areas of bridges AND if it starts to rain also not effected by whether I adjust the wipers or not (back wiper also goes into auto mode in rain) Rolling with laughter
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #12462023rd Mar 2014 6:18 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Antjp

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Mine come on too early too they come on if it's a dark gray sky. I don't mind but there are times I have to switch mine off because it's not worth them being on.

Post #12462203rd Mar 2014 8:55 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Found one of my old posts from way back

Quote:
The automatic headlamp function is a driver assistance system. The driver can override the system operation by selection of side lamp or headlamp on if the ambient light conditions require front and rear lighting to be active. The automatic headlamp system uses a light sensor and the CJB, which are connected via the LIN bus to control the headlamp functionality.

A light sensor is incorporated in the rain/light sensor located on the inside of the windshield, below the rear view mirror. The wiper system also uses the rain/light sensor for automatic wiper operation.
The light sensor measures the ambient light around the vehicle in a vertical direction and also the angular light level from the front of the vehicle. The rain/light sensor uses vehicle speed signals, wiper switch position and the park position of the front wipers to control the system.

The automatic headlamp operation uses ambient light levels which are monitored by photodiode incorporated in the rain/light sensor. The rain/light sensor sends a lights on/off request to the CJB on the LIN bus, which responds by switching on the low beam headlamps, front side lamps and rear tail lamps.

The automatic headlamps are activated under the following conditions:

Twilight
Darkness
Rain
Snow
Tunnels
Underground or multistoried car parks.
Operation of the automatic headlamps requires the ignition switch to be in position II, the lighting control switch to be in the 'AUTO' position and a lights on request signal from the light sensor.

Don't forget that it's only responding to what it sees and operates within the parameters set and can always be overridden by the magic of fingers Smile
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #12462233rd Mar 2014 9:11 am
bbyer

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
DRL function

You might consider turning the Daytime Running Lights on thru the CCF settings. I presume it is available as there is both a Canadian and EU setting in my CCF file at least.

There are small differences in either setting and both have advantages and disadvantage.

The primary difference is that with Canadian, the headlights/tail lights are off in Park when the engine is running whereas the EU, the lights remain on. In Canada this matters as when we are warming the vehicle up in the mornings, the more power to recharge the battery, the better.

The EU setting has the advantage that the vehicle can be in gear and if you have the headlight switch set for sidelights, then the headlights remain off; the Canadian setting, not so, headlights are always on when in gear and the engine running.
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #12464423rd Mar 2014 6:22 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >