Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Is the ATR a much more agressive thread pattern....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
sarumlight

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Sounds odd to me too, and I'm on the second set of ATR's and love 'em!

When we first fitted them, compared to Scorpion Zero's they were very slightly, but noticeably more noisy, mpg was slightly down and the ride was slightly more "solid" feeling, but overall they're a great compromise which is why I just put them on again.

Certainly the noise is nothing like MT/R's which sound like something's very wrong the first time you drive on them. If you're getting that kind of noise on ATR's it sounds like something is wrong.

Post #88351515th Jan 2012 12:46 am
doleawg

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

DSL wrote:
My thinking as well. Confused

If not a problem with the tyres, bearing or CV joint issue?

Think I will give 10forcash a call and get him to check car over which is disappointing as its just had its 105k service

Post #88352615th Jan 2012 7:37 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

TFC's can also give you his experiences on ATRs, ISTR he uses them on his D3 and his FL2. Thumbs Up

Post #88353415th Jan 2012 9:48 am
Jeremy

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

LT wrote:
Jeremy, do you mean GG AT's ?

What tyres did you run before?

The more aggressive block pattern of the GG AT's would account for the drop in mpg when compared to a less aggressive tread pattern.

Yes GG ATs. Prior to this the car had the OEM Pirelli's and I would hit 31-2mpg on a long run, now 27-28mph at best and much worse around town. The pay off is performance in the dirt which is better that my old Pirellis.

I'm considering a switch back to Pirelli's after the winter.

Post #88363715th Jan 2012 2:03 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Jeremy, the drop in mpg is due to the more aggressive tread pattern on the GG AT. Perfectly normal and it's been reported by several GG AT users here.

Post #88395315th Jan 2012 11:20 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

doleawg wrote:
DSL wrote:
My thinking as well. Confused

If not a problem with the tyres, bearing or CV joint issue?

Think I will give 10forcash a call and get him to check car over which is disappointing as its just had its 105k service

Good idea to contact TFC, as either you have a problem with D3 or a duff set of tyres. Iirc, TFC now only uses Pirelli ATR's (naturally Wink) on his D3 and FL2, so you'll be able hear how quiet they are on his vehicle.

Having run two sets of ATR's there really is no noticeable increase in road noise or mpg.

Post #88396115th Jan 2012 11:27 pm
Roverandom

Canada 

To be fair, the problem with longevity of the ATR tyres probably has more to do with the ridiculous OEM 19" wheel size than the tyres themselves. But I can't help thinking if they had a proper LT construction they would have faired better?

Noise has increased with wear though, not by any means to an unacceptable level. But my main gripe is the traction, or rather the lack of it. I live in rural Canada and drive dirt/gravel roads every day. Massive extremes in temperature and road conditions call for a real AT tyre, not a wanna-be. I can't afford to have five different sets of wheels/tyres so was looking for a AT tyre, sadly there is almost 0 choice for the 19" rim......thanks for that Land Rover..........and the ATR does have great reveiws in roverland so I tried a set. Perhaps I drive in different conditions but I am not very impressed at all.

Currently looking for a set of 18" wheels to facilitate greater choice in replacement tyres.
 "Your only supposed to blow THE BLOODY DOORS OFF!" The Italian Job.  
Post #88397115th Jan 2012 11:35 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

doleawg wrote:

doleawg, any update on this?? Question

Last edited by DSL on 26th Feb 2012 7:14 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #90111124th Feb 2012 4:28 pm
doleawg

God sorry, should have updated. Embarassed Embarassed

To be honest I was crapping myself driving home as I just didn't want any issues with a 900 mile drive, a car full of ski gear and 2 kids in the back.

Intially the drive out of resort was cool as there was a foot of snow, so chains. THe next 600 miles to Calais was in a howling gale and driving rain so it was hard to tell if the tyres were noisy as they whole car was being hammered by the weather.

Since we got home the noise and vibration does seem to have settled. Not sure if it was the weight in the car(we have changed the pressures) but the drive down through France was noisy and constant vibration under foot.

Haven't got 10forcash down yet as its setlled but was sh*tting myself on drive down through France. It was just wierd and awful to drive.

As an aside, compared to Vredesteins a definite drop in mpg with the ATRs of about 3-5%. Someone did say thought that I should expect to get more life out of the ATRs so it balances in the end?

Post #90111624th Feb 2012 4:42 pm
LT

Something is definitely not right. I've driven fully laden on both 18" & 19" Pirelli ATR's, with no issues.

Good luck getting it diagnosed & sorted Thumbs Up

Post #90187126th Feb 2012 6:43 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Deffo something wrong, similarly done heavily laden trips incl 2 trips to Pyrenees. Can't detect any difference in noise or mpg over 12,000 miles, at any speed. I've got a combined Pyrenees & Tunisia trip planned for end of summer and going to be doing it on ATRs.

Doleawg, do you have a second set of wheels with roads on to see if the issue is something else like CV joint or bearings?

Post #90188426th Feb 2012 7:12 pm
jobster

Netherlands 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Still curious what the outcome of all this was. Given the last info sounds like failing wheel bearing.

Post #96999427th Aug 2012 8:47 am
doleawg

Hi,

Good timing. Just back from another 2000 mile round trip to France. All seems to have settled from the initial issues I had. The car has been checked over and apart from the normal wear and tear there were no issues that would have caused me the noise from tyres.

Done about 16k now in the ATR's. Hard to tell now I have had them 6 months whether they are noisier than Vreds but definitely I am getting about 10% less mpg. Someone recently suggested taking the pressure up a bit to sort the MPG issue but to no avail. Thread wear through is a lot better then the Vred's. I would expect to get about 45-50k miles out of these ATRs. The Vreds did 33k. Had 2 sets of Vreds and each did 33k.

Post #97002127th Aug 2012 10:08 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >